HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,405 Posts
Quote:
When you're flying fpv and getting silky smooth video from your gopro on a windy day... It IS mind blowing, lol. The difference is quite good coming from onboard video... If you're just flying LOS then yeah, it might not be a huge difference.
I think you have a point, there. I haven't tried in windy conditions, yet, but I can already tell that it will fare much better than it did with the skywalker ESCs.

Quote:
If you look at the quad closely at time frame 06:00, it looks like it's almost completely vertical as if doing a knife edge. If it had kept that position for a few more seconds we could have said you had a 3D quadcopter.
I should have used a slow motion effect on this. Would have been cool. My video editing skills are in their infancy, but I do know how to add slow mo effects.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:12 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
On the subject of simonized ESCs, I installed the flashed HK F-20 on my DJI F330 today and tested them. I can run 140 on P gain as opposed to 60 with my skywalker ESCs. Quite nice. The throttle response is also a bit better. All in all, it's definitely an improvement, but it's not mind blowing. At about 7$ for the HKF-20, though, it makes for a very inexpensive set up that performs better than decent non flashed ESCs.

Here's a video on the subject. If you only want to see some flying, skip the first 6 minutes of the video.

Best,
Chris

http://youtu.be/o2mGfL7Nihw
Cool ... so you didn't fly them unflashed first ... all in the name of science?

cheers, Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:14 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
404 Posts
watching all the videos posted here really made me envy you guys are good pilot, man i wish i could fly like that. How long have you guys been flying and how often?

I have been flying quad for a year or should i say owning a quad for 1 year (only flies once a week) but still sucks at flying.
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:18 PM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
828 Posts
Mixed success with my firmware upgrade, but only negatives are due to me!

I got a huge amount of waggle on the yaw servo (analogue) and played with the PI values, to no avail - simply because I really need to read bout how they work! I suspect the rear motor had started to de-mag due to overheating now - but that is my fault for flying too long without having dialed out the waggle I guess.

I'll research how to fine tune the PI before I try again - I'm sure I have seen some good guides on here. Plus, also look for a digital servo as I understand that may help?

When it flew, it felt a lot better than the original HK board, even with the waggle!
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
Mixed success with my firmware upgrade, but only negatives are due to me!

I got a huge amount of waggle on the yaw servo (analogue) and played with the PI values, to no avail - simply because I really need to read bout how they work! I suspect the rear motor had started to de-mag due to overheating now - but that is my fault for flying too long without having dialed out the waggle I guess.

I'll research how to fine tune the PI before I try again - I'm sure I have seen some good guides on here. Plus, also look for a digital servo as I understand that may help?

When it flew, it felt a lot better than the original HK board, even with the waggle!
From what I have read, a digital metal gear servo is best for a tricopter. Or, since the upgrade now supports a vtail, go for that. No more servos and the yaw/orientation benefits of a tri.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Cool ... so you didn't fly them unflashed first ... all in the name of science?

cheers, Andrew

I don't know if you were trying to get a chuckle out of me, but it sure worked.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Jun 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
From what I have read, a digital metal gear servo is best for a tricopter. Or, since the upgrade now supports a vtail, go for that. No more servos and the yaw/orientation benefits of a tri.
mmmm, good point! Although I do hate to give up - dont like to be beaten.

I have spare motors/esc, so may have to follow your advice
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p View Post
watching all the videos posted here really made me envy you guys are good pilot, man i wish i could fly like that. How long have you guys been flying and how often?

I have been flying quad for a year or should i say owning a quad for 1 year (only flies once a week) but still sucks at flying.
Thanks! I actually very rarely get to fly more than once a week. Sometimes less. But I bring out 8 or so batteries and fly for over an hour. The first couple I try to keep it calm and relaxed to get in the zone... then I get more aggressive and push my skills and the limits of the craft. It helps to make a list of maneuvers you want to try, think it out, visualize it, then take off and try it.
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,272 Posts
New firmware feature

I was up last night till about 2:30 AM working on the KK2 flashing video, etc. and this message came up all of a sudden. This has to be a new feature programmed in by Rolf to placate our spouses who complain about us staying up all night long working on our multrotors. Is there a time adjustment on this?
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jun 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
I was up last night till about 2:30 AM working on the KK2 flashing video, etc. and this message came up all of a sudden. This has to be a new feature programmed in by Rolf to placate our spouses who complain about us staying up all night long working on our multrotors. Is there a time adjustment on this?
Where you went wrong is getting a spouse

Only kidding.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p View Post

Get a simulator! Just a little practice with Phoenix (I bought it a couple of years ago I think) vastly improved my heli orientation and FFF skills. The last time I checked it only had one quad (gaui x330) and the flip / roll simulation for the quad was pretty questionable, but FFF is accurate. It ends up being way cheaper in the long run... even at $130 (I think Phoenix is still the best heli sim out there; Realflight is kind of a joke, in my opinion).
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
Where you went wrong is getting a spouse

Only kidding.
We all feel like that sometimes
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcopter View Post
Any changes to the self-leveling algorithms other than the stick response change?

Thanks!
No. I will take a programming break on the KK2 now. Then I will start again with a fresh mind.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:46 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkovachi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton
Don't bother trying to read code from KK2 board - HK policy is to set fuses to protect the code...

you can ofcourse try just incase they missed one

I attempted to read the code using the eePe programmer for my transmitter, Turnigy9x/er9x. After setting the MCU to mcu328P and then adding the argument -F I was able to create a hex file. Either this was not a viable read operation or the file looks as if not much code resides on th board. I apologize if I'm way off base but my knowledge of programming and available resources is fairly limited.
This file is empty, and only a fraction of the 32kb memory.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:56 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Man.... There's been a ton of boards reported as having this issue. This is definitely a bug that needs to be addressed. These boards should not die on people so easily. After reading so many people having this issue and having had this issue myself, I so don't trust this board. I like it. It's awesome. But it certainly has problems with regards to being a reliable FC. Sure some people may say they had no issues. Fine. Better knock on wood, though, by the sounds of it.

Sorry to hear your board died, Sir.

Best,
Chris
And what exactly is this "bug"?

When I board dies during firmware flashing it's obviously not a firmware bug as the firmware is not running at the time.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie