HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:15 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
How Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post

Anyhow, did I say a flashed esc is a must have?

No, but I know some esc will not work in a quad, for example this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15202 ... funny enough, this cheap 6$ esc, once reflashed is just perfect for a quad...
So the F-20 ESC isn't usable with the stock firmware?

I'm just about to build my first multi-copter, and had shifted to building a quad rather than a tri to avoid the whole tail servo issue. I have F-20 ESC's (well waiting for the fourth one to arrive, hopefully tomorrow as Canada Post should have finished storing it for me for the seemingly required 5 days) and was thinking of not flashing them to begin with just to avoid one further new thing.

Based on your comment, it seems I really should try to get the programming bits I already have into action.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
So the F-20 ESC isn't usable with the stock firmware?

I'm just about to build my first multi-copter, and had shifted to building a quad rather than a tri to avoid the whole tail servo issue. I have F-20 ESC's (well waiting for the fourth one to arrive, hopefully tomorrow as Canada Post should have finished storing it for me for the seemingly required 5 days) and was thinking of not flashing them to begin with just to avoid one further new thing.

Based on your comment, it seems I really should try to get the programming bits I already have into action.

cheers,
Andrew
Your F-20 HK ESCs will work fine! They will just work better if you flash them and you'll be able to use higher P gain with them. But they WILL work fine with the default firmware. Guaranteed.

Here's a video I shot today on this subject. See for yourself.

Best,
Chris

DJI F330 with stock Skywalker 20 amps ESCs-Acrobatics (11 min 50 sec)
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:28 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Your F-20 HK ESCs will work fine! They will just work better if you flash them and you'll be able to use higher P gain with them. But they WILL work fine with the default firmware. Guaranteed.

Best,
Chris

http://youtu.be/OQ2je3LAHuY
Thanks, that's what I had figured and was hoping. BTW, what size props are on this quad? I think your overall components are pretty close to what I have ready to use. Although I had bought an earlier KK board, I got a KK2 as all the reports convince me that it's a much better overall choice.

Time to get from the sidelines and into action though.

cheers, Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,120 Posts
Hi Andrew,

My frame is 330mm and I'm using 8" props. The ESCs are 20amps cheapos, the motors are cheapos Turnigy 2822/1100kv. I'm also using a cheapo kk2 and a 2250mAh, 3s, 35c battery. The battery is also a cheapo. So I guess you can say my quad is a cheapo quad. But man, it's a lot of fun.

All the best with your build and don't hesitate to ask questions if you need help. (Remember to follow the PI setting guide on page 1 of this thread and also the setup guide in the KK2 instruction manual that is linked in page 1 of this thread.)

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
The cheapie HK escs work just fine on multirotor machines. Yes, simonk firmware makes a ton of difference, but you can fly just fine, even acro, without upgrading the firmware. I've flown both ways with my hobbyking mystery blue series 20A ESCs; both were flyable, but the simonk firmware makes the quad much tighter and easier to tune / fly.
pbmax is offline Find More Posts by pbmax
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
Quote:
It's a little Turnigy frame from HobbyKing. It's not expensive at 14.99$. Sure is tempting to buy one. I'd like to see more aggressive outdoor flying with it, though. Motors look tiny.

Best,
Chris
I don't have video of my flying, but I've done aggressive FFF, back to back flips and rolls in all directions, etc, with the turnigy micro quad + kk2.0, stock ESCs and motors. Once I can convince my wife to do the camera work I'll see about posting one. As long as you keep the battery light (1000mah max, I've found - 1300mah is a bit too heavy) and capable (turnigy nanotech), it'll perform really well. With the stock setup I was able to get my Pitch/Roll gains to 60/40 and attitude is pretty solidly locked when flying with the kk2.

The only real downside is that the electronics seem spotty... 2 out of the 5 turnigy plush 6s I bought were bad - one cost me a number of broken frame arms (and one motor) before I figured out what was going on. And the frame is pretty fragile... the arms break if you look at them funny. I also replaced the "cage" on top with a disposable rubbermade cup - looks dumb, but does the trick.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
49 Posts
cool, finally got this thing flying, this is a quick shot, straight out of the box with no tuning

First Flight with Hobbyking KK2 Board - theRCexperiment (1 min 13 sec)
theRCexperiment is offline Find More Posts by theRCexperiment
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
U.S.A., Sufflok county , NY
Joined Nov 2007
252 Posts
Quote:

Best,
Chris

http://youtu.be/OQ2je3LAHuY
Chris were could I get the x250 plain frame from? and how much should it cost?
steveiewonder is offline Find More Posts by steveiewonder
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveiewonder View Post
Chris were could I get the x250 plain frame from? and how much should it cost?
Hi Steve,

I got mine from Terriwang, a user, here on RCG. He has more of them for sale. Here's a link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1660158

That thread is closed but if you PM him he'll be able to give you a quote on what you need. I paid 125 for mine, including shipping from China to Taiwan. Terri is located in the US and he also ships from the US to US residents. My kit included everything but the FC. Frame, motors, ESCs, two sets of props and props adapters. 125$ shipped. He also sells this quad with the MWC FC, but I dislike MW with a passion. The KK2 is way better, IMO.

Just to be clear, the post of mine you quoted in your reply includes a video of a DJI F330 frame. That's not the x250 frame.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theRCexperiment View Post
cool, finally got this thing flying, this is a quick shot, straight out of the box with no tuning

http://youtu.be/ywAK76ZzIbs
Nicely done on the build, Sir!

You have rapid oscillation on this now. You need to reduce the P gain a bit and it will fly better.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
I just set up a Kk2 on a frame and I have a rapid CCW yaw rotation. I'm sure I made a simple mistake....any idea what my problem is?
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Is it a quad or Tri or something else.

If Quad you likely have motor or motors rotating wrong way, check in Motor Layout screen that you have rotation correct for each one and that you have them connected up right.

If in a Tri you need to reverse the Yaw in the Mix editor on Ch4 as written in Q&A on first post.
Q: How to reverse the yaw gyro for a tricopter?
A: Go to the "Mixer Editor" and change the channel (number to the upper right) to 4 where the yaw servo is connected. Then change the "rudder" mix value to -100.

My Tri just spun in one direction first lift, so just went into the editor and changed the Ch4 setting from +100 to -100 and it worked fine.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Last edited by Del-Dredd; Aug 05, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Nicely done on the build, Sir!

You have rapid oscillation on this now. You need to reduce the P gain a bit and it will fly better.

Best,
Chris
thanks! Yeah, i'll play with this thing, figure out all the tuning and post some more, kinda wanna try this for airplane stabilization too and see how it does with that
theRCexperiment is offline Find More Posts by theRCexperiment
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:30 PM
It's a job...
United States, PA, Warrington
Joined May 2012
1,233 Posts
KK,

I've got an idea regarding the low voltage buzzer. I understand that you can set the trigger voltage to what you want. ie 9.5v, 9v, 10v etc...

My question is this...what is the actual volts being sent to the buzzer from the board? I assume it's a constant voltage and not the voltage level set for the trigger.

I ask cause I've got an idea in mind. Depending on the answer, is whether or not my idea would work.

Thanks
747Pilot is online now Find More Posts by 747Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2004
454 Posts
The buzzer is rated for a certain voltage. I imagine 12v is not that voltage.