SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:33 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
Help!
Dx6i broken antennae

The little pin that holds the plastic antennae on my dx6i is broken, inside the antennae is a little grey wire and that was pulled pretty hard, does anyone know where that grey wire leads to, as in doesmit connect to a plug inside the dx6 or is it soldered onto the control board inside the dx6i, the wire is very loose and when I give it a light tug it seems to get even looser. I am just wondering if the remote needs to be opened and the grey wire/antennae needs to be replugged or resoldered. Thanks!
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:39 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
The grey wire is the COAXIAL antenna and CAN NOT just be soldered onto the RF deck like you would with a receiver antenna.

Think of it as a tiny TV CABLE, it needs a connector and needs to be connected to the rf deck/board. If you think it is broken or disconnected DO NOT power on the radio as you may damage the RF board. Transmitting without an antenna is NOT GOOD.

#1 you can buy a replacement antenna, you will need to open the radio and replace. $12.99 plus shipping & taxes
OR
#2 send the radio for repair and HH/Spektrum will also test and inspect everything including RF deck/board
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I don't know much about radios. Although I have one more question, how would I be able to tell if I have damaged my rf board?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:30 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Once you have a new/replacement antenna, you should perform a range test.

If it fails the 30paces/30m range test then chances are damage was done to the RF deck. If it passes then you are good to go.

Don't take any chances, open the radio and investigate the grey wire/antenna. On the DX6i it is very easy to see where it goes once you have the back of the radio exposed. The connector is a TINY little gold plated connector.

You can see it in the picture
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
Ok thanks for the advice!