SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2013, 03:21 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,841 Posts
Tom, I was going to do the same thing with my keychain camera. Probably won't see much in the ponds or lakes, would be fun to try anyway.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2013, 03:40 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Ken, I am working on version 2. Current version is klunky and thick. Since I do not have a mill, I will try heating and shaping a thinner walled version or casting one and a better sealing system. It will be very interesting in what you come up with!
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Over Father's day, I got a chance to run the Gato in open water. There is a huge difference to running it in a pool (very safe) to out "in the wild". It was time and so here it is.
Open Water Run (1 min 20 sec)

For the most part the Gato is now done. Unless I come up with something new or questions come up, there will not be any posts on here except one - what I would do different or keep. A final assessment.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joined Apr 2014
11 Posts
Hey,
How did you and where did you cut the top of the sub to fit all your stuffz into the sub? I'm really new at this, and know absolutely nothing about these subs... I have a gato, and I built it to be a model.. Is there anything I can do to r/c it?
justino2263 is offline Find More Posts by justino2263
Old Jun 18, 2014, 07:25 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
To retro fit a model is going to be very hard. I won't say impossible, but exceedingly, hair pulling, painful, potential for disaster= high, hard.

I have the deck coming off to get to the inside.

I have about 500 photos of the build on photobucket, so look around.
Also, some of the previous posts on this thread show the aft end of the deck and it is held in place with a screw. The bow of the hull has a clip that holds it to a brace left there from the original model. Hope this helps. I am a hypocrite for saying this (because the Gato was my first sub), but if this is you first sub, I would recommend an easier one to build first. I was too stubborn to be persuaded from building it and tenacious enough to finish it. If you have those qualities then go for it.
The big decision is what type of ballast system you will use. Some will get you going, but will not get you to actual water line. The best you will get is decks even or slightly higher than the water. If you can find videos of the sub rising watch to see if they bring the sub up high.
Last edited by tchalfant; Jun 18, 2014 at 09:03 AM.