SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:59 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
452 Posts
Build Log
Revell Gato 1/72

I have been working on the Gato for many months, here is her pool run.
Revell Gato 1/72 scale R/C Submarine (2 min 10 sec)

And here are some more recent
Name: Gato_periscope_2.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 110.4 KB
Description:

Name: Gato_periscope_1.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 165.9 KB
Description:

Name: Gato_periscope_3.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 158.9 KB
Description:

Peace,
tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:08 AM
Jack
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Feb 2010
389 Posts
Nice Gato tom. She seems to perform very well.

Can you show some surface runs also.

Jack
pjdog is offline Find More Posts by pjdog
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
452 Posts
Thank you. Here is a quick video of a dive and rise. You will see her on the surface.
Quick Rise (1 min 10 sec)

Sorry about the poor video....not professional.
Last edited by tchalfant; Jul 25, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
Jack
Joined Feb 2010
389 Posts
Real nice Gato. Performs very well.

I hope for another pool test on my repairs to my Gato.

tsenecal:

Do you use the stern & Bow dive planes concurrently? Currently I'm only using the stern. I can't for the life of me remember how I had the Bow plane coupled with the stern planes?

Jack
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,604 Posts
on the subs i have that have separate fore and aft planes, the dive planes are controlled separately.

apc on stern with the "elevator" stick, ratcheted (flaps) paddle on the bow.

i have a futaba 9c with "flap paddles" on the sides of the transmitter, i use them so that i can set a specific negative dive angle on the bow, setting a depth for a specific speed. the apc on the stern planes then sets the stern planes to make the boat level at that depth.

negative setting on the bow planes will counter-act the slightly positive buoyancy of the ballast tank, driving the boat downward.

the faster the boat is moving, the lower the negative angle of the fore planes needs to be to counter-act the positive buoyancy of the ballast tank.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog View Post
Real nice Gato. Performs very well.

I hope for another pool test on my repairs to my Gato.

Jack
Thank you and glad your back in the swing of things since moving to FL.
Peace,
Tom
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:05 AM
Jack
Joined Feb 2010
389 Posts
tchalfant:

Thanks for the dive plane information. I use a 6 channel (EFly) I got from Caswell. I don't think I have a spare (Not used) channel. That will be todays Sub maintenance issue. With the exception of the Forward planes I believe the gato is ready.

The type VII's are next. I don't want to start another sub when I have subs that are in a not ready state.

Thanks for the info again.

jack
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
452 Posts
Jack,
I have the Revell Type VII sitting in the closet.....Although I am waiting to see if the Moebius Skipjack will be released soon. I might have to build that then go to the type VII.
I use the WFly as well.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,424 Posts
So coool WOW Haven't seen a submarine rc for a long long time. I'm gonna do a research to see how much it cost. How much did you guys paid to build one?
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11 View Post
So coool WOW Haven't seen a submarine rc for a long long time. I'm gonna do a research to see how much it cost. How much did you guys paid to build one?
I have probably put $800 into this sub. Have not kept a running total. However it cost me time, money, frustration, pain, and the best time I have had in a hobby to build this. The return is really worth it. :-)

There are many different ways to get into this hobby (both cost and what you pay)
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Jack
Joined Feb 2010
389 Posts
I have over $ 1000.00 in my Garo RC Sub. It sound expensive but when you crash a sub like I do with my RC Helicopters and RC planes it's just retrieve the sub and do repairs. Normally something like the compressed air tank was depleted or maybe a battery failure. Mostly simple to repair effort and expense. How ever when you crash a plane or Heli it's generally a replacement plane or major repairs to the Heli with expensive parts.

With RC Submarines when you go to run them you don't normally see another submarine unless your with your submarine buddies. I've never run my submarine and seen another one. It's always me and the surface boats.

I guess a good place to run them is the biggest problem. A Large pool or clear water pond can be hard to find if you don't live in an area with clear water. I know in Louisiana finding clear water was a big problem..

I've had so much fun with the Subs I just can't tell you.

They do require allot of maintenance. But worth it.

jack
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Aug 2011
452 Posts
Since I have been testing the sub for open water, I have knocked off do-dads and broken fine things off the conning tower (which a very wise man told me would happen).
The railings are very delicate looking and I wanted to see if I can make them in brass.

There are curves in the railing on the conning tower, so to create a guide to make the railings, I filled the inside of the railings with potters clay. Let it dry.
Name: Brass_Railing_001.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 143.4 KB
Description:
Removing the plastic part, you can see there is a nice channel to put the wires in.
Name: Brass_Railing_002.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 144.9 KB
Description:
This is a learning time for me. I can solder with a torch, but soldering with a soldering iron is tricky. I am sure practice and time will help, but if you have any tips, I would love to learn more! Here are the parts I made. There are blobs of solder that I will need to clean up.
Name: Brass_Railing_003.jpg
Views: 128
Size: 171.2 KB
Description:
I am tired and will do the fitting and clean up tomorrow (maybe), my biggest desire is to get her in the water for more tests and learning how to control the Gato better. I have been working on the running lights and how the CT is held onto the deck. This might change the trim, tests will tell.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Nice work there. Makes me want to get mine out of the box and start work.
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
452 Posts
Yes! Do it! You will love this sub! I have photos of the build and will be glad to offer assistance if needed.
Peace,
Tom
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Thank you, will be happy to pick your brain for good build information Did you post the build log here, or elsewhere?
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman