SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:43 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,812 Posts
Discussion
Nitro ARX with e-gyro conversion first test run

Here is a short video of the first test run of my arx with the new e-gyro conversion fitted, showing the slow speed stability & i can actually ride it on dirt now two things that were virtually impossible to do with the mechanical gyro even though it was only on a small flat track it was the only bit of dry dirt i could find to test on but i am happy as that is the first time i have been able to ride on any sort of dry dirt with some success & with some tuning it will only get better.

I am very impressed with it though & would say if you have not got an e-gyro you are missing out like i was all this time it makes the bike a joy to ride & on the dirt i could feel with some counter steer & early throttle & practice i think i could get it power sliding out of corners but i need to make my steering more direct to get the counter steer happening quicker but i ended up stripping the plastic servo horn on the steering

On the road i was trying to see how slow i could go while turning & trying not to touch the crash bars it works well.
ARX 540 RC Motorcycle.mp4 (3 min 58 sec)
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:00 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,778 Posts
hurray!

Looking good Throttle! I cant wait till I get an egyro in my (vmx)bike since slippery dirt is all I drive on.

So, did your nitro feel more snappy (quick) on throttle response now that mechanical gears are gone? You have some better spots you will eventually try the bike out at?

I may have asked this before, but you posted a tire mod thread some time ago regarding wrapping smaller pin tread on your arx tire. You still doing that? If not, with the egyro and a better tread for dirt, that bike will be shreading it up.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:25 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Looking good Throttle! I cant wait till I get an egyro in my (vmx)bike since slippery dirt is all I drive on.

So, did your nitro feel more snappy (quick) on throttle response now that mechanical gears are gone? You have some better spots you will eventually try the bike out at?

I may have asked this before, but you posted a tire mod thread some time ago regarding wrapping smaller pin tread on your arx tire. You still doing that? If not, with the egyro and a better tread for dirt, that bike will be shreading it up.
Yeah mate you are going to love the e-gyro it's a totally different bike much easier to ride.
The throttle response was noticeably quicker & it rolls a lot better without the drag from the mechanical gyro & the low end needs leaning it is very rich at the moment.
I do have another bmx track i was thinking of trying it's not so extreme as the one where i bash my trucks, there is no real purpose built off road track around that i know of.
I am not running a modded tyre i was trying a cheap qrf tyre it works ok but it has a hard square shoulder & i could feel it had grip until the point it comes off the knobs onto the shoulder of the tyre & then it slips it's like we need a tyre where the knobs come right around to the rim, i am going to start experimenting with the tyres again now it works on dirt.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
Hi,

you should leave the steering springs more loose, it's a bit nervous for my taste.

If you fell the steering springs too soft, after a certain amount of compression is better change them for stiffer ones.

Ciao
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:51 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
great video as always throttle shame we are on the other side of the planet other wise it would be an ARX / Atomik holeshot showdown
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,778 Posts
Throttle, it looked like you had a wheelie bar on the bike. Is that true? If so, what sort of wheel did you use back there if you dont mind me asking?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:22 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jena67 View Post
Hi,

you should leave the steering springs more loose, it's a bit nervous for my taste.

If you fell the steering springs too soft, after a certain amount of compression is better change them for stiffer ones.

Ciao
Hi Antonio,

I have modified my steering a long time ago before you made the progressive springs it has springs inside & out plus fluid for dampening it worked better than the original springs i am going to stiffen it first as i do like a more direct feeling it is loose & the steering felt slow to counter steer but i may try your progressive springs if i cannot get this set up to work properly, but i also think part of the problem was my plastic servo horn on the steering servo was stripping & eventually failed from turning the forks against a 13kg servo to get the glow plug igniter on the engine so i have to workout something better there.

But i am very happy with the performance gain with the e-gyro it works great & once i have my steering sorted it will be awesome.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:33 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deen247 View Post
great video as always throttle shame we are on the other side of the planet other wise it would be an ARX / Atomik holeshot showdown
Yeah mate that would be so awesome, i don't know anyone over here with an MX bike i wish i was over there sounds like you have a few people around that have bikes wanting to get some racing going, but now i will be taking mine out more it might get more people interested in them as whenever i have taken it out someone always comments on it when they see it.

I did some new decals for my rider & i have him trying to sort out the steering.

Has your new beast arrived yet mate.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:39 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Throttle, it looked like you had a wheelie bar on the bike. Is that true? If so, what sort of wheel did you use back there if you dont mind me asking?
Yes mate i have a wheelie bar it's a home made job just stuff i had laying around, it's 4mm carbon fiber braces & the wheel is alloy with a rubber tyre off a gpm wheelie bar for a hpi savage truck, it's held up the best so far, i will have to lean up the bottom end now to get some wheelies happening.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:22 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
no not arrived yet m8 dont think it,s shipped as yet looking forward to getting my hands on it
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deen247 View Post
no not arrived yet m8 dont think it,s shipped as yet looking forward to getting my hands on it
You will have to give Chris the hurry up mate at least you have the other 2 to use while you wait

I have just been playing around with mine getting it sorted as i am keen to get out for another go, i went back to the original steering set up i will give that a go with the e-gyro & i made a glow plug lead wire so i don't have to try & jam the igniter in there now & i had a couple of 1/8 buggy tyres laying around so i fitted one to a spare wheel shell it was a tight fit but i warmed it with a hair dryer & it went straight on, i think it looks good & the knobs come right around the edge of the tyre.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:44 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,812 Posts
I took the bike out & tested the 1/8 buggy tread, i wasn't going to after seeing it fitted to the bike it looked like an 80 wheel on a 250 but i thought i would try it anyway, traction wise it was great but it just looked ridiculous & being fitted directly to the arx wheel shell it actually split the tyre in a couple of places because it was so thin & had no cushioning under it next time i will fit it over my worn out arx tyre after removing the rest of the knobs & try that.
I am still tuning my steering i went back to the original spring style but i find the steering to bouncy, i am going to stiffen it & try it but i think i will go back to the damper style steering.
ARX 540 Nitro RC Motorcycle With E Gyro (4 min 36 sec)
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,778 Posts
Like the slow motion at the end where its hitting those little whoops like a double jump.

I forgot you actually wrapped the buggy tire onto rim by itself...eek! Your lucky you didnt take any big jumps you would have cracked the rim I bet. I have the dx450 and wrapped my buggy tire over a bald mx tire. It has similar design so thats the way to go next time.

ARX and Dx450 really just need to update wheels from 2005 toy design specs to 2012 and use inserts like every other hobby grade bike.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Like the slow motion at the end where its hitting those little whoops like a double jump.

I forgot you actually wrapped the buggy tire onto rim by itself...eek! Your lucky you didnt take any big jumps you would have cracked the rim I bet. I have the dx450 and wrapped my buggy tire over a bald mx tire. It has similar design so thats the way to go next time.

ARX and Dx450 really just need to update wheels from 2005 toy design specs to 2012 and use inserts like every other hobby grade bike.
Yeah mate i am loving riding it on the dirt it is where it should be, it is totally different than riding on grass or the road like i found i had to give it gas & counter steer out of the berm you actually have to ride the bike it is great fun but i need to get my bike handling the way i want & practice more on the dirt, I like the way it was throwing a little roost as it came off the berm, i am thinking of building a couple of small jumps on that track to practice on until i can find a better track.

The buggy tread worked well that track is slippery & bumpy it was just too small & thin, i will try & get one to fit over my old arx tyre it was a tight fit just on the rim but i will see if it can stretch it that bit more, i like the look of the qrf tyre it makes the wheels look the same size but it is too square & the tread does not come around the tyre.

I totally agree John, i think tyres with inserts oil in forks & steering damper system would be nice upgrades.

I am thinking of trying these buggy tyres next.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:02 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
656 Posts
Quote:
I forgot you actually wrapped the buggy tire onto rim by itself...eek! Your lucky you didnt take any big jumps you would have cracked the rim I bet.
I tried this 2 years ago in Fehring. It kind of worked, but like Throttlejunkie said, too thin. The rim has some small cracks, but no problems there.

At Edling, one of the german drivers glued a truggy tire to a bald QRF Tire - that looked very promising.
If I find the time, I might try this for Fehring.
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg