HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:38 AM
I do RVP
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Discussion
EagleEyes Diversity Disengages?

For two years now I've been using EagleEyes. This spring, I'm noticing that the diversity mode is switching off for no reason. That is, I set it in Diversity mode but later find my EagleEyes unit has spontaneously switched to AV IN 1 or AV IN 2. It doesn't do this often but around once or twice per outing.

This is pretty dangerous for my flying.

My setup uses two +8dBi patch antennas at around 90° separation to give me more coverage. If my aircraft is on the outer edges of my video range and my EagleEyes decides to switch off diversity then I could lose video signal mid flight!

I'm powering my EagleEyes from a 5000mAh 3-cell LIPO that is dedicated only to the EagelEyes unit. This is large battery for it and really powers my entire 5 hr+ flying session consuming only 10% of the battery. So the battery voltage is starts out at the regular 12.6V and goes down to only 12.2V at lowest.

Is there any kind of overheating or other issues I should look at? Thanks for your suggestions. I have the latest firmware 1.18 on my EagleEyes unit.
WEREE is offline Find More Posts by WEREE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Weree,

I'd first recommend you upgrade to our most recent EE firmware (1.26) from here.

If the problem still reproduces for you, we'll need to troubleshoot further. I don't believe it would be related to any sort of overheat. In fact, the diversity setting is remembered even across a power cycle, which makes the issue even stranger.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi Weree,

I'd first recommend you upgrade to our most recent EE firmware (1.26) from here.

If the problem still reproduces for you, we'll need to troubleshoot further. I don't believe it would be related to any sort of overheat. In fact, the diversity setting is remembered even across a power cycle, which makes the issue even stranger.
Thanks for the info. I'll perform some tests in the upcoming weekends and report back.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
I was doing more tests this weekend and actually witnessed a condition when EagleEyes disengages the diversity.

Before explaining, I have to describe another problem with the EagleEyes unit diversity function. The diversity can often "oscillate" or "bounce" quickly between AV1 and AV2 -- like within 1/2 second continuously back and forth between the two inputs. This is even when both video sources are nearly identical because the aircraft is still being setup on the bench near the ground station antennas. Why does EagleEyes do this? I have adjusted the sensitivity down but, even so, there is no reason to bounce like that when both inputs are equal and strong.

I wrapped a flight with my little T-Rex 450 FPV and had to endure through another bought of diversity "bouncing". I brought the 450 next to the ground station, and unplugged the video TX. At that moment, the EagleEyes unit stopped bouncing and disengaged diversity! It was on AV1 but probably could have ended up in AV2 depending on the timing of when I unplugged the video TX.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Weree, thanks for the report. Can you confirm that you did the upgrade to our more recent software (software version 10.39 or later) and updated your EE firmware, before the issue above was encountered?
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Hi Weree, thanks for the report. Can you confirm that you did the upgrade to our more recent software (software version 10.39 or later) and updated your EE firmware, before the issue above was encountered?
Hi Bill. I am still on the latest production release firmware 1.18 for the EagleEyes. I wanted to leave everything the same while I do some tests. The next step I will do is upgrade to your beta firmware (1.26) and redo the test.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Thanks - anxious to know what you find!
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:42 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
I've also noticed mine bouncing back & forth every second or so between receivers for no apparent reason, it just started happening. Also while my plane is just standing still. Both my receivers are identical units, these ones.

I have not updated the firmware in awhile, will try that though. Is it hard to revert (if need be) once you upgrade?
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Glen,

please let me know what you find. No, it's not hard to revert.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:48 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Sorry I hadn't gotten around to this. I tried to use the new firmware but the loader seemed to want to reflash my OSD and DataLogger too which I'm not comfortable loading beta software onto. Is there a way to flash only the EagleEyes firmware and nothing else?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
I found another clue to this problem. I have a Sony Petite NTSC camera on two of my FPV aircraft. This camera really makes the EagleEyes diversity do the back and forth pinging for some reason. The EagleEyes diversity goes nuts on this almost immediately after powering on the video! I can fly but very annoying to have the diversity do its constant switching.

I don't know why because the video is clear on both channels. Does it give you any clues as what might be causing this back-and-forth diversity?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Weree, are you using the OSD Pro? If so, there are a couple of things to try:

1) try increasing black level (use a number bigger than 4) and/or decreasing white level (use a number less than 7)
2) If you are not using it, turn off telemetry in the EagleEyes OSD Pro menu
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Weree, are you using the OSD Pro? If so, there are a couple of things to try:

1) try increasing black level (use a number bigger than 4) and/or decreasing white level (use a number less than 7)
2) If you are not using it, turn off telemetry in the EagleEyes OSD Pro menu
Hi Bill. This turns out to be a good test because one of the aircraft has the full EagleTree OSD suite. The other has just a bare camera and TX. But both cause the same amount of diversity pinging back and forth.

Both aircraft use the same NTSC Sony Petite camera along with a BEVRC 800mW TX. I use this same TX with other cameras with no back and forth pinging so much.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Weree,

Thanks for the info. I don't think that changing those settings will affect either system, since the switching occurs even without the OSD.

A change was just posted here (alpha software, limited testing!) that resolves an issue with RC305 diversity switching. I'd recommend giving that a try to see if that affects your Sony Petite camera issue also.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:37 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Hi Bill. I upgraded my EagleEyes unit from firmware 1.18 to 1.28 and did three days worth of FPV flying this long weekend. I'm happy to report major improvements in diversity quality and consistency. Specifically the Sony Petite NTSC camera which previously would cause the diversity to go nuts has been all but resolved.

Though the problem with Diversity disengaging at random times is still there! I think it is still switching off after diversity bouncing. The EagleEyes diversity can still bounce when its seeing total static on both receivers. The static situation is actually normal when I'm in-between flying sorties. I always leave my base station powered on for my entire day of flying since the current draw is so miniscule and I have extra large LIPO batteries powering the ground station equipment. I witnessed my EagleEyes turn off Diversity all by itself only after a few minutes after powering it on and verifying that Diversity was enabled! Not good and can really mess me up if I don't check this before each and every flight!

I could be happy if the EagleEyes diversity bounces on total static but never ever disengages diversity no matter what. Of course it would be better if the EagleEyes diversity never bounced at all regardless of the video or lack of video.

Other anomalies:
  • Phantom beeping: the diversity switch "beeping" was heard on several occasions as if the unit was doing the nasty diversity bouncing. But there was no flicker in the image and the AV1 and AV2 LEDs were not actually flashing either to indicate the switches between AV inputs. I don't believe it was actually switching despite the beeping.
  • Long switching times: Some diversity switches seem to take an extra long time like 1/2 to a full second or so of static versus the normal very quick switches with brief static about 1/8 second. The long switches always freak me out! Especially since I'm flying low these days and have no RTH or safeties on my FPV helicopters.
Last edited by WEREE; Sep 04, 2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: typoe