HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,428 Posts
Discussion
power source at field?

I sometimes have no power source at events and fields that I fly at.
I need some source of 12 volts. What are you guys using? I was looking into a 100 dollar harbour freight generator or a 12 volt marine battery. What would be better. I normally fly 2200 mah 3 cell batteries.
thanks Rich
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Get a big ASS deep cycle battery or 2.

Don't waste your money on a cheap generator.
They are not good for our chargers and your neighbors will hate you for it.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
I use a Honeywell 1400W inverter generator; it's quiet enough at the other end of a 50-foot extension cord.

A non-inverter generator is an option, but I would use a power conditioner with it to clean up the AC.
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:05 PM
DrV
Joined Jan 2006
225 Posts
Get Big Deep cycle battery or spend more money for a quality generator like a Honda EU2000. Do not buy the cheap 2 cycle HF generator, you will ruin your power supplies. It does not have a clean 120AC output.
DrV is offline Find More Posts by DrV
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:16 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Get a big ASS deep cycle battery or 2.

Don't waste your money on a cheap generator.
They are not good for our chargers and your neighbors will hate you for it.
Could not disagree more.

I use the Harbor Freight - it works fine for chargers and have used it for many years. It is a bit loud and uses a 2 cycle engine - so no question it makes some noise. I use a good power supply and have no issue with voltage and zero issues with the chargers.

At the field nobody will care about the slight noise - the glow engines will drown this out. It works great for fly-in events and this use. Don't expect much else out of it - maybe a few lights or small appliances in a power outage. At events I have power 8 or 9 50-200w chargers.

I am not sure when my power supplies will be ruined but I am still going strong.

Deep cycle batteries last about 3 years here in the TX heat. And they are VERY expensive and VERY heavy. So save your money. Use a generator/inverter.

I would love to have a 2000w inverter but those run about $800-1k. But they are much more useful if you camp or have an RV or want to use it for appliances in a power outage. If you can hack the price the Honda is really tough to beat and puts out very clean AC power.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Deep cycle batteries last about 3 years here in the TX heat. And they are VERY expensive and VERY heavy. So save your money. Use a generator/inverter.

Mike

I went with with 2 costco deep cycles. They are 45lbs each so need to watch the back when lifting them. I put them in a milkcrate and use a small fold away dolly. I never discharge them below 50% so I should get 3yrs no prob. AT $85 each and 3yr lifespan, it would take 15+ years to break even on a 2000 watt Honda so I'm pretty happy with my setup for now. Don't get me wrong though.. I would love one of those Honda's.
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2000
82 Posts
Check your local surplus stores for big lead acid batteries. I have a 100 amp hour battery that cost me $29.99. I've been using it for at least 7 years. The deep cycles I was using in the past would only last a year or so and cost much more.

If you can't find a surplus battery I have been happy enough with this battery that I would buy a new one at full retail.

A slightly different battery, but easily available would be the Optima deep cycles. Imthink you can even getnthese at Sam's club.
Rich Ness is offline Find More Posts by Rich Ness
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Sealed lead acids rock! They are commonly used in power wheelchairs and very affordable if you get the smaller ones. Great for charging 3-4s 2000's.
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
I would go with LiFePO4 over lead-acid; if only for the huge weight advantage.
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:23 AM
Aeroplot
Down Under
Joined Mar 2008
93 Posts
I use a 12 V Pb spare car battery. I know that many will disagree, but it depends what you are flying.
I fly el. gliders using 2200 mAh batteries and I have 3 packs. If I charge them at home I have 3x 30-60 min flights, then I can charge each at the field for another 3x 30-60 min. Enough for a day flying.
But if you can afford a deep cycle battery or a generator - it's definitly a better option.
crashdaily is offline Find More Posts by crashdaily
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:17 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdaily View Post
I use a 12 V Pb spare car battery. I know that many will disagree, but it depends what you are flying.
I fly el. gliders using 2200 mAh batteries and I have 3 packs. If I charge them at home I have 3x 30-60 min flights, then I can charge each at the field for another 3x 30-60 min. Enough for a day flying.
But if you can afford a deep cycle battery or a generator - it's definitly a better option.
No argument here
My field charging requirements are similar to yours. I'm in my 3rd season using a NAPA garden tractor battery that after rebate, set me back about 22 bucks, and doesn't break my back As soon as I get back home, I hook it up to the little 1.5A Schummacher float charger and it's fully charged for my next trip to the field.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,398 Posts
An alternator puts out a “pure” sine wave, an inverter does not! Better/expensive inverters get close and are called pure sine wave; most are modified sine wave.

The alternator in a cheap generator still puts out a “pure” sine wave whose frequency is directly proportional to the rpm! The problem is that they have poor/no control of rpm with changing loads.

I’m guessing that there something that make an Inverter Generator cheaper & lighter than one with an alternator. And the electronics maintain the frequency better. Also think that they get the DC off a magneto and inject that high into the block diagram shown below.

Maybe cheaper inverter generators are modified sine wave; pure from more $$?

The question really become – is modified good enough?

Most all of us take alternators to the field!

In my case 2007 Ford Explorer – it has a 120A unit.

Note – switching power supplies run just fine w/o issue off a modified sine wave!

So, go for a inverter and PS off your car.

I have been using my MasTech 5020 power supply with a Vector 2000W modified since wave inverter for quite. The engine doesn’t flinch or change rpm when doing a 1000W from the inverter .

Also use an extension cord from to get the power to the pits.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,045 Posts
Best piece of field gear I've ever had.
tsymonds is online now Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:33 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,428 Posts
It's a Honda so I know it's good but it has a high price tag for me
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:39 AM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,045 Posts
Got mine used. They can be found for a reasonable price if you go that route.
tsymonds is online now Find More Posts by tsymonds