SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:04 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
HOW THE HECK DID THAT PLANE FLY BACK TO THE GROUND BEING THAT TAIL HEAVY ! (or did i miss something,and it did the falling leaf down).....Boy,you must have had a stock pile of Good Karma stashed away,shame you used it all in one shot
VooDoo Child is online now Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Last edited by VooDoo Child; Aug 17, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,435 Posts
Yes VooDoo it did the "falling leaf" and every half second or so I had a tiny bit of control and pulled full up just before it hit the ground. If the ESC would have left the airframe with the motor it would have been worse.

I agree Rolf the plate is plenty strong enough at 2mm but I just don't feel there is enough surface area at only 2mm especially when you put the hammer down on 4KW. I am going to take a step back stop rushing for the magic 250 and really give this motor mount issue some thought and with the help of my friend I think we can make something special for that mount.

Live and Learn.....Man I am sick of learning for a while... would just like to have fun...there's always the FunJet
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,181 Posts
I wonder if your buddy can make one like the aluminum one for the Enigma, once the slots all fill with JBWeld and you make a nice filet, no way its coming out at the 3-7KW range. I have this in mine, lots of flights, no issue.

This has happened to more than a few with the stock mount and not enough glue, (me included, even with lot's of glue, hit the gas and the motor rip out with a geared 4500W set-up.)

markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,435 Posts
WOW Markus.....I'm so glad mine wasn't that damaged! That thing really tore it up. I figure when the hammer went down on mine today it was around 4.1KW.

Boy the learning curve at these high power levels is steep and expensive!
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,214 Posts
If you make the mount thick enough, you can drill and tap it in the side for some small button head screws. I did that on a Surprise because it was twisting out when the brake came on.

With a spinner that big, there can not be any vibration at all or it will be bad news. If vibration is what made it come out, then the next thing that will happen is a bent motor shaft. I had problems with this stuff before. Big spinner, high rpm and 5mm shaft = huge pain in the back side.

I'm glad your plane survived!
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
If you make the mount thick enough, you can drill and tap it in the side for some small button head screws.
Exactly what I have been thinking.... but didnt know if someone else has done it.. it will work better if the mount is a few mm further back, as there has to be some material left forward of the pins..

Great idea..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:53 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Next week my Strecker Motor is ready and will be in my post box :-)
than I have all equipment together and I can start to build up the Monster.
will give a step by step documentation how to build in everything, also too the motorplate that it works without problems and that with a 2-3mm motorplate.

greez and crashfree flights to all of you
Rolf
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:21 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Great idea..
Thanks, but it was easy to get inspired to do something after the motor wires ripped half the fets off a phoenix 125!
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,435 Posts
That's where I made out like a bandit Steve...the day before the flight I squeezed those 6mm male plugs on the motor down just a bit to make them easier to get on...WOW hind sight being 20/20 am glad that I did There was no damage to the ESC...because of the room issue I had actually thought about a direct solder...that would have destroyed the ESC

In hind sight I OWN this incident and blame only myself..We have a FlyIn next week at the club and I wanted this thing ready for that event...as a result I rushed the build a little bit. Wanted to make an aluminum mount at the very start of the build but...ran out of time...and paided for it...thankfully with only minor damage! Am somewhat embarrassed at the fact that with over 20years of building experience I let myself rush and compromised the build the plane and others (that is why I do most of my testing with an empty field).

For 4 plus KW 2mm (for me) is to thin and I knew that...there is just not enough surface area there especially with a nose area that large (60+mm) and the very small motor lip (1.5 to 2mm). Yesterday I took the Fuz over to my friends place (he is an airframe/turbine mechanic/machinist) we looked at the plane and told him what I was looking for and he is up for the challenge

The new mount will be aluminum it will taper that nose down to 2" and it won't come out as it will be secured with a better aircraft grade epoxy and screws from the side of the Fuz. 6KW here I come
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 19, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Dec 2004
752 Posts
That sucks, seems like it flies great, shame to have the motor go it's own way.
Since I switched to double thickness motorplates (+-5mm total), I've never had any trouble with motors coming out my F5B planes anymore, with some drives at 6kw and pretty hard braking action.
Clean fuzz inside and plate with acetone, good sand on both the inside of the fuz and the mounting plate (both the outside and the flat part of the plate), glue with Endfest 300, putting a bit of extra glue inside the fuselage behind the mounting plate, position plate and hang to dry, heat to about 40-50C. The heat makes the epoxy a bit more liquid, so the extra bit inside the fuse runs down and forms a neat fillet at the back of the mounting plate.

Hope that helps and you get it flying soon (or in due course of time anyway )

Gerben
Gerben is online now Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:22 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
A Monster for a Monster

Today the girl who brings post makes my day to a very good Day.
Has had a "little" package for me
inside the "Monster" for the Monster

435.25.9 10Pol

on the Pic the Monster and the little beast where the same works inside the LP 1.1
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
Nice ! Good luck. Im looking forward to it.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:59 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Rolf,
What are the specs on your 435.25? (I couldn't find anything on Mr Strecker's website but that doesn't mean they're not there!)

How many cells and what prop do you expect to run?

I'm interested as I've just started testing a Scorpion 4525 -520 and expect to run mine with Koch 9.8x17 blades on between 10 and 12 cells.

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:31 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
this is a special modified version who is not official to buy.

Cells - between 8S and 10S SLS APL 3500mAh 45/90C
Propeller: thank you to Eisvogel - from him I get 3 different cfk speedprops size between : 7x12 and 8x12 this props are tested from him on this motor on speedcups and have a good performance. I dunno how to say thx to him.
the motor will run with minimum amps: (around 120-130 amps).
weight of motor: 412 gramm

the official version Data are:

you can wish -
between 1000 and 2000 KV
8 or 10 Poler
around 3.5 KW

my one is a bit stronger
regards
Rolf
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:40 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Interesting!

Rolf,
Can't wait to see it in your Monster.

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M