HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Maiden done!

YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAA...up and down in one piece But not without a super scary launch.

Well I packed everything up and headed to the field at noon. Wind was kinda strong and a little gusty but I like some wind for maiden hand launches. Sun was straight up so no issue.

I will confess...I was shaking like a leaf as I walked out into the runway and lined up. I put the plane down twice and checked the control throws just because I was to stinking scared to toss it

Finally I took a deep breath, picked it up, hammered the throttle, took one step and sent it off. It roared skyward but at the same time torqued to the left at nearly a ninty degree knife edge But I stayed with it (kinda expected that to happen) and eased on the right stick and let it fly out of it.

Now I could breath Pulled the throttle back (way back ) and eased around in a big circle. This thing is fast at half throttle and flew in the gusty conditions like it was on rails

Needed no aileron trim and only one click of down for straight and level (very happy about that)

Chose not to burn any holes in the sky today...never went to WOT and once trimmed I started making landing passes. Tested the spoilerons at the first switch position which was half of full aileron deflection. WOW...it nosed up alot and slowed down really fast

Set up for landing put the spolierons on and came in nice with full brake on and prop stopped. Landing was a non event as it slowed better than the first Monster.

I am very happy and really pumped...next flights will be setting it up for some serious speed and some WOT passes

Great job Andi this airframe is straight and I am sure it will get me to my goal of 250+.
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 16, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Big Congrats !!!!!!!.....I hear you on the first launch of a new HP Bird,It is the BEST and WORST feeling a guy could have.....Funny,Your post also has me all Pumped Up now....I need a new project to go faster
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,380 Posts
Arctic: I felt the rush from just reading your post! You're a poet and didn't know it!
Thanks
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:18 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
e`clat

Applause

good work done Arctic,
congrats for your maiden, and as Arterixx said - congrats to your kind of writing about it.

Think its time to start with my little baby - my LP1.1 is going ready today - so next step the big brother

best regards and crashfree flights
rolf
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:12 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Awsome man, I know how you must felt before launch,,, glad it went ok.... looking forward to more highspeed passes...

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:43 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
Congrats on the maiden ! Im looking forward to the full power version.
Are you using a Thunderpower battery ?
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:18 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Wonderful work Arctic!

Magic post too!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Last edited by Peter M; Aug 17, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
The more I look at this new monster, the more I like it

arcticflyer , next time, you launch, maybee try less throttle to avoid that torque, seems the most of the german guys on speedcup are using part throttle on launch..

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Sep 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
It roared skyward but at the same time torqued to the left at nearly a ninty degree knife edge But I stayed with it (kinda expected that to happen) and eased on the right stick and let it fly out of it.
thats exactly the same like my Scimitar-E.
I wrote it in RC - Network in the Monster thread, that i think the rudder ist to small.

and it is! Make the rudder bigger an the problem is away.
16cm works fine

scimitar-e
jamaicaman84 is offline Find More Posts by jamaicaman84
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:16 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
could be but must not be that the rudder to small.
point is when I understand it right that arctic throws the monster to start by himself.
could be that he had not given enough punch by throwing the bird.
otherwise as per him by gliding he was stabilized good.
so best is when go flying again that someone else throws him out by starting.

greez
Rolf

PS: I build for mine two fuselage - one with the original small rudder and one with a bigger one, than we will see wich one better works.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Hey Guys...going to the field at around noon today to squeeze in another flight. Will take the camera and set up for some Doppler. Hopefully the wind is right and I get the plane dialed in some more...should be able to start some "hammer down" passes.

I really think the issue on launch is torque. At 4KW this light airframe just wants to spin around that motor at release. Today am going to back off a bit on the throttle at launch and see what happens.

Wish I had help at launch but that just isn't going to happen...the guys at my club are evening flyers and alot of the time my testing is done during the day, so I just get used to tossing planes myself.

WarMachine - I am using a NanoTech 5S 3300 65/130C battery.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,230 Posts
Well done on your first flight. Smart to try landing practice before worrying about how fast it goes!

The tail is really small on this plane. I'd expect it to go left on launch no matter how you throw it, but using less throttle could certainly help with that.

Good luck with the next flight!
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
The Next Flight

GERBEN - this is the second time that you were right and I am beginning to think you are somehow Spiritually connected to my planes...I will explain!

Today was beautiful, weather perfect, wind perfect, went to the field at noon w/sun straight up PERFECT. Got the plane ready, walked out, lined up and was not shaking like a leaf today...ready to have fun!

Put my transmitter down and put the throttle at about 2/3 stood up ran about four or five steps and gave it a toss. It torqued left somewhat but not as bad as yesterday and sailed away. No need for trim this baby was trimmed out and flying great sooooooooooo...increased the throttle to 3/4 and made some passes up and down the runway.

Holy Cow the down wind passes at 3/4 throttle were blistering fast and I started shaking again because what in the world was a downwind 6 second WOT gonna do

"It's now or never" Lined up downwind and about 150 yards out pushed the throttle all the way. Then one second into the spool up a loud "CRACK" and a projectile flew out of the front of the plane and sailed towards me...then silence.

The plane began a butterfly type of flight and I knew the motor was gone...I stayed with the plane and flew it all the way to the ground and knew from the attitude that it went in the field that it was probably OK

Walked to the motor first....BIG MISTAKE...took my eye off of where the plane went down. Inspected the motor and left it...then went to the Canola field where the plane went in.

Man I walked right by that plane and spent the next 45 minutes in PANIC mode as the Canola was above my waist and very difficult to see into. I was so tired of walking in that thick crop that I gave up and decided to go home and call a few club members. On the way out of the field I walked right up to the plane on the edge of the field...and as I thought it had only damage at the lip of the motor mount area

Nothing had shifted inside and everything was still hooked up and working. At that point in time I was so glas I had not soldered the motor to the ESC directly...the 6mm bullets let that motor go with no damage to the ESC

Now back to my original statement about GERBEN....several pages back when I was mounting the plate he expressed a concern about the motor mount plate being to thin....as you can see from the pic it is not 3mm it is 2mm and yes it was to thin or I did not put enough JB weld on it. I had some thicker Carbon fiber plate but the time in grinding one out of it, caused me to use the stock plate against my better judgement.

BUT.....the plane is still in one piece...my newly repaired NEU 1515 suffered the back plate pushed back and my beautiful TrueTurn Turbo Cool was destroyed...I should by stock in their company now I need a third one.

Don't know what else to say...got some work to do. Am going to a machinist friend of mine and see if we can make a revolutionary motor mount for this thing that is secure and tapers that nose.
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 17, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:40 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post

Don't know what else to say....
I do: !
I'm so glad the damage wasn't worse. You'll be back posting poetry in no time
Thank you for the virtual thrill ride - saved my rainy weekend!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:02 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
what a shame,
but your a lucky guy, the bird is okay as it looks like.

and you said it by yourself as comment in one picture:

"Small Lip, not enough JB.."

do a bigger lip around the motorplate next time and a rowing from cfk.
than it works. the motorplate by herself looks ok. its not why its thin, wasnt glued fast enough.