HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Control rod for the elevator is done and in...throws are set Made the rod from carbon and pinned it just in case.

It is time to start installing the RX gear and antenna's (4 of them for this one) what a pain

Looks like a maiden this coming week
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Almost done!

Got all of the radio gear finished today with all of the wires tucked in and taped down. Used all four antenna's since this is an all carbon airframe just to be on the safe side. Two in front of the wing and two behind.

Will use two BEC's one for the fan on the ESC and the other to power the RX. RX power will come from a 2S 800mah lipo tucked up in front of the wing on the top of the Fuz.

Motor will be the Neu 1515/1Y that was repaired from the first Monster. I know that motor and was not done testing it. Am very curious as to how much faster this plane will be with the exact same setup as the first Monster. The current setup with the first Monster produced 204mph...we shall see. This plane is much cleaner thinner.

ESC will be my Ice Lite 300 (modified with heatsinks and a 40mm fan) and yes it can take it!

I settled on the True Turn Turbo Cool Spinner 2 1/4 inch Ultimate these spinners do a great job of getting air into the motor and I have seen it work first hand through testing on the first Monster.

Am going with fixed props for a while 7x8 through 7x10 because they are easy to get. Hopefully as I test new motors can get some higher pitched props from a friend on the other side of the pond that can take 4 to 5 KW.

Once the maiden is done will switch all further testing of motors and setups to the Fast Planes....Big Inrunners thread.

Maiden this week
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:32 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Wish they had a Smilie with DROOL running down the side of it ....Can not wait to get the flight report....COOL STUFF !
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Bumm Collet?!

The real bummer is...I went to install the prop tonight after balancing it and I can't get the collet to tighten on the shaft It just keeps spinning when turning the prop nut which indicates to me something is drilled wrong.

Gonna call True Turn tomorrow and see what's wrong. The one that was on the original Monster was great and worked great. The stink of it is...it will take forever to get antother collet up here...I hate the time it takes to get stuff though stinking customs up here...whatever happened to the Free Trade Agreement!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:19 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
looks not bad,
don t forget - when you fly to tape the wing with the fuselage at the end of the wing.

greez
rolf
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Dec 2004
745 Posts
Try to shorten the collet a little, it may be bottoming out on the baseplate.
Also degrease the shaft etc, but I'm sure you did that already

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,175 Posts
I have had way too much trouble with tru turns man, id never buy another. For the price they should be incredible, but theyre not sadly.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Rolf will slap some tape on it.

Problem solved...after thinking about it for a bit...stupid me...put a couple of drops of CA on the rear bushing and all is well.

Gonna go over everything tomorrow and with some good weather a maiden on Friday or Saturday
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Aug 2004
757 Posts
Looks like she's ready for you to...... ship it to me
Looks good!
jetdryvr is offline Find More Posts by jetdryvr
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Final checks today.

Did the final checks today and put everything back into the plane...added some Monocoat trim strip tape to the aileron hinge line (little peace of mind) and some visibility stripes to the wings so I can tell which is up.
One last trip to the CG machine and it's ready to go

I hate maiden flightsespecially the first launch...but that's High Perf!

Dropped the prop back one notch to 7x7 for the first flight just to get the Amps down a bit until I get used to the plane.

I'd say wish me luck...but don't believe in it. I believe in skill and stupidity each with a different outcome
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
I'll listen out for the sonic boom this side of the pond
wastegate is offline Find More Posts by wastegate
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
Good Luck for Maiden

Nice :-)
Last question: hope you have made sealing lip with tape at the airelons ?
also too:

Wish you good luck and lots of fun by maiden flight.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:17 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
sealing lip with tape at the airelons ?

Explain Rolf.... and why ?

arcticflyer , good luck on maiden...
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
sealing lip with tape at the airelons ?

Explain Rolf.... and why ?

arcticflyer , good luck on maiden...
do you know fluttering airelons by lots of speed ??

how I do it you see in the LP 1.1 tread tommorow.

regards
rolf
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
aha, you mean putting tape on the outer part of ailerons, so they cant move there... But its really not any problems if you have one servo to each aileron, and make the linkage sloop free,a nd use good servos without ant play in gears... this was only problem with old style ailerons with the servo inside fuse..

the ailerons are also so small..I cant imagane the LP1 or the monster will flutter on ailerons if all is done perfect... At least not at speeds around 300-350km/h

at speeds around 400km/h,, well that I dont know, but I guess not many of us can say..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe