SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:59 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
thanks guys, yes I did realize its not cheep ,, sure they are among the best, but a little on the expensive side for me, maybee if I buy a monster or similar later... maybee not good to start with motor, have to descide hat plane first, and go from there
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:41 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,530 Posts
Stab/Elevator on!

Got the stab/elevator on today...sanded surfaces poked some small holes in both surfaces (epoxy rivets) and JB Welded it on...now will wait for over night cure and start on the fin tomorrow That should be fun...not!

Going to the field tonight to keep the thumbs working with the FunJet!
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:56 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Well,If somebody would get off the Butt and get me my RS Outrunner,i can start getting ready to WHIP UP on Arcticflyer at Vic's Speedfest Looks GREAT Arctic....This build of yours is a FUN ONE to watch and read
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,530 Posts
Vic's stickers are already on my field box from this year...hope to put a 200 and a 250 on next summer. It will be nice to have some other fast E guys showup. I think it was just myself, Nathan and one other guy who few E.

According to everything I have already seen with testing other motor's this 22/60/1E should get me to 250 give or take a couple of mph. If it doesn't one of Steve's 1521's will. I am really hoping to get a couple of custom props from a friend on the other side of the pond that will make or break the 250 run.

Weather was perfect tonight at the field...made some 12" passes at WOT...someday that poor FunJet is going to end up a ball of foam
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 06, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Dec 2004
766 Posts
Arctic,

Wthat's the thickness of your motor-mount plate?
From just the photo's it looks a bit thin for the power you're throwing at it, but images can be deceiving.

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:10 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Hi Gerben
when its the original from HJK its a 3mm CFK plate.
totaly stiff like a metal plate must hold the power normaly,

Rolf
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,530 Posts
Fin on....finally!

After literally fighting with that fin for over two hours it is finally on and the epoxy curing. I have never had that much trouble with a fin install since I started building models at 12.

Was ready to throw the plane across the room several times...will never buy another plane that has a fin that installs like this. The root of the problem was a slightly mis aligned seam on the bottom of the fin which left a lip. That lip would not allow a level flush fit so the thing wanted to swim all over the place even though I had installed two carbon strengthening pins.

The only thing that saved me was the slower curing time of the JB due to the paint I put in to make the epoxy black. No more Fuz's with seperate fins got to be a T-tail with removeable stab for transport.

But...that is behind me and the wing servo frames only took about 20 minutes to make and will be installed tomorrow.

Getting closer!
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:42 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Hi Artic

could not understand the problems you have had,
when I mounted the rudder and the fin on the LP 1.1 who is from building up same procedere as the monster ( remember I have both planes ) goes totally easy to glue it together.

when I start the monster I show how I did it.

regards
rolf
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,530 Posts
Rolf was wondering do we have any CG info on this plane?...close to some CG tests and I want to see where it falls before I epoxy in the elevator servo.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:33 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Hi Arctic,
yes I have but have to look where, give you later.
greez
rolf
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,530 Posts
Servos In.

Servos are in the wing...took longer than I thought because this wing is a little thinner than the first Monster and I made the servo frames the same size as before...so had to make some new ones and do some creative cutting.

Tomorrow am going to put everything in the plane, weigh it, then do some balance tests before putting the elevator servo in.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:39 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
so found the infos
cg is by around 70-76mm best is to start in the middle and the rest you have to see when flying.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,530 Posts
Thanks for the info Rolf...think I'll start at 70 and work back...little nose heavy to start won't be so bad.

The wing is done.... BUT not without some serious stress which was my own fault. Installed basswood blocks in the leading edge of the ailerons to strengthen them up and provide a good place to bolt on the control horns...I like horns that can be modified and replaced...don't like those cut the aileron then glue in horns...that's just me.

The problem came when one of the blocks slid inside the wing before I glued them in...I spent over an hour searching for that piece of wood to no avail...fished inside with wire and still could not come up with it. So as a precaution I will have to wall off the ends of the ailerons just in case it decides to dislodge in flight and jam an aileron...more work!

Thows are set at 6mm and 4mm with 40% expo to start. After some balance tests the elevator servo and linkage goes in tomorrw. Then hopefully next week a maiden!
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,230 Posts
Looking good

Your aileron trouble could be a lucky mistake. Closing the ends of the surface will make it torsionally stiffer. When it comes to really fast airplanes, this is never a bad thing!

If I may give some advise though, I'd shorten the servo arm so you're using as much travel as possible. Maybe you were already planning that since it's not done yet.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,530 Posts
Elevator servo in.

Last night I stuck everything in the plane and did some balance tests using my 2S receiver pack as the balancer

First test was with the Typhoon/200 Ice Lite and a 3300 5S 65C battery...
Second test was with the Mega 22/60....
The Mega is a very heavy motor and with the heat sink it weighs in at a wopping 474grams This put the Lipo in the back behind the wing. The Typhoon put the lipo way to far forward...BUT...I stuck in the trusty ole 1515 Neu and everything balanced out just right

So...the initial setup since I know what to expect will be the 1515 (raised from the first Monster ashes, Great job Steve) my Ice Lite 300 w/fan, 5S , and a 7x8 APC.

That setup got me to 204 with the first Monster and this one is lighter and less draggy so we'll see
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM.