SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Welcome back Rolf, sorry to hear about the healt, we all have problems sometimes with that, I hope you are going to be healthy as long as possible

YES, put pictures when building, nice to see..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,552 Posts
Good to have you back Rolf!.......pics...pics...pics!

I have 7S coming for mine Should be here next week! If the snow holds off will be able to get a couple of flights....7S might get me to the magic 250mph/400kph
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:52 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf D. View Post
Rolf
nice to be back
Glad you're feeling better Rolf. I've had back surgery because of disk problems. It can completely stop you like a blown fuse There seems to be better back doctors in Germany though. All of the pro golfers are going there for help.

I'd like to see what that Strecker looks like in the nose.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,552 Posts
Stinkin Snow!

My season for speed came to a crashing halt this morning as this is what I got up to....and the forcast is all down hill

Not done flying but my air scooping giant will scoop gobs of snow in through the nose unless we get a crust of ice on top

The bad thing is my 7S battery is still somewhere between here and China
The good thing is...just might take the Monster south with us to visit the kids and get some flights in with the big battery.

In the mean time will be building a motor test stand for testing motor combinations and my new experimental ESC. Might even take a commercial blower and try unloading props on the bench
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,552 Posts
Snow snow snow

Well...we have nearly 2 feet of snow on the ground so my flying is reduced to my Blade MSRX inside Actually getting pretty good with that little bugger!

Decided to do some work on the Monster in preparation for the season. VooDoo's flutter incident put the shakes to me so went over the Monster wing. Rushed this build last summer just to get some flights in before the season closed and now it is time to strengthen things up

My servos (HS125's) after only 6 or so flights developed some slop so out they come. Also going to go with heli linkage to the aileron...and if I can talk my good machinist friend into some custom control horns things should improve and I will have some peace of mind
Wood servo mounts will be replaced with aluminum and the servo area will be given an additional layer of carbon cloth.

Weight increase...Yes...but I'm not a weight weenie and will over compensate with Horse Power

Ordered servos and aluminum arms from here: http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...m-free-2a-sbec

Servo frames from here: http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=203

Also put a layer of 3M 5200 on the top of the aileron hinge line to stiffen things up a bit. Lots of work and time (2 weeks to cure) but worth it.

Here are some pics of the progress so far. Will be doing some motor tests over on the Fast Planes...Big Inrunners/outrunners thread.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:51 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,086 Posts
Nice! Want some 6.25x11's?
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:29 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Nice! Want some 6.25x11's?
Hells yea!
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,552 Posts
Work on the wing!

Well the snow just keeps coming and I actually started shoveling the roof some today as the weight is really building up...flying has been reduced to the SIM and micro heli's inside. The scary thing is I have become somewhat addicted to the large 3D heli's on the SIM and can already hover inverted....I sure hope that bug doesn't bite to hard but fear it already has

Did get some more work done on the wing upgrades and the parts are starting to arrive. Got an additional layer of carbon cloth in the servo area and after a good cure will sand it some to prepare for the aluminum servo frames which have not made it from WindRider yet.

The MKS 6125's arrived from Hyperflight in the UK and they are things of beauty. Tons of torque and NO slop
Last edited by arcticflyer; Jan 19, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,552 Posts
The control horns and the servo frames have arrived
The control horns were purchased from a guy over on the DS forum and are called Blinghorns. Super nice quality...and unbreakable

The servo frames came from WindRider and are great looking equipment as well. I will use ball links to finish the install which should make for a bullet proof wing when the speeds hopefully get over 250

Hopefully the heli bug will not distract me as I am building one of them right now as well
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
116 Posts
Hello,
I am building the same spreadtow monster 1.1, but I'm going to put a 40N jet engine on top. The MKS servos are also the ones I will use.
snauwaertj is offline Find More Posts by snauwaertj
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,552 Posts
Totally Sick Bro!....Please feel free to document the build on this thread as I would love to see pics and follow the build

I have been somewhat distracted by a Heli build of late...never the less as soon as the snow melts the focus will be back on SPEED
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:55 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
497 Posts
Arcticflyer, I see on your Hs125 that you uninstalled you have really long servo arms. By how much did you have to limit you servo travel to get to the desired throws? What I am getting at is that from here it looks like your linkages were not ideal. Say you had to limit you servo travel to 20% to get the necessary throws means that had you achieved the same aileron deflection with 120% of servo travel and the correct leverage i.e. very short servo arms that would have given you six times less slack at the control surfaces and six times the strength as opposed to the long servo arms.
Kwahn is offline Find More Posts by Kwahn
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,552 Posts
Kwahn - can't remember how much I had to reduce the travel...but it was alot! Agree with you 100% which is why I am completely re-doing the wing. New arms are much shorter and will be connected with heli ball links.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:00 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
497 Posts
What I do and many others here is drill a hole right next to the servo output shaft so as to create the shortest servo arm possible. Then choose the length of the aileron horn as required. I did away with ball links and clevises years ago because simple L-bends allow you to build more compact linkages.
Kwahn is offline Find More Posts by Kwahn
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:46 AM
Joined Jan 2008
116 Posts
When you make a very short linkage at the servo to get little travel of the aileron with big atv travel of the servo you get the problem that you can not get enough travel to put both ailerons up for decent landing. I would not exagerrate with getting as close as possible to the servo with the link.

Regards Johan
snauwaertj is offline Find More Posts by snauwaertj