HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,494 Posts
Build Log
HJK Monster 1.1 build thread.

FINALLY...the Monster 1.1 has arrived...just made it before we are due to leave for the States to visit the kids and hit Vic's Speed event in NC

First let me say to those of you who do know know...this is my second Monster from HJK and this one is the newest production. My first Monster met an early death at the hands of a failed Turnigy 5S "Z connector" at about 271amps 4kw of power Please read the thread on that one and don't make my mistake: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668258

Moving on...The box arrived undamaged which is always a relief when something comes from that far...Germany The packaging is as I expected from HJK... ugly but "effective" in that both planes have come with no damage to either one.

Pulled everything out of the box and started to look it over...WOW...this one is different.

First Impressions - The fit and finish were greatly improved over the first Monster. The spread tow is beautiful and as much as I didn't want another black plane there is no way I am painting it!

The Fuz of this model is straight which was one of the first things I looked at because the original Monster was not and required a TON of trim to fly straight...happy about that!

The tail is much smaller which is great as well...first Monster was tail heavy and required the battery to rest behind the motor which caused all kinds of cooling problems...looks like that is solved!

The fin, the stab, and the fuz are all seperate and can be assembled in steps assuring that the incidences stay at zero...more time to build...more difficult to build but, I think this is better

Included in this one is a motor mount plate, carbon control horns, and screws to hold the wing down...not included with the original.

Ailerons are smaller than the first one and I will save my review of that when flying time comes. The hinge line on the ailerons looks good on this plane...the first Monster had cuts that were to deep making the hinge line to thin and I had to re-enforce it with 3M5200 (four weeks of waiting for the 5200 to cure, one hinge at a time)...won't need to do that with this one.

Couple of things I don't like in this one verses the first...(just nit picin a little)

I really liked the 4 bolt system to secure the wing on the first one this one has only two bolts and where they are secured to the Fuz takes up room in that battery area under the wing and I can see them getting in the way...the original system I feel was stronger and I am just a little worried should one of my wing tips catch a gopher or badger hole that the Fuz might be damaged...the area is re-enforced BUT I might just add some glass or carbon.

The nose at the motor mount plate is 60mm...WOW, what a snozz! Hope I can find a suitable Turbo spinner that is that large. Then again there might be an outrunner on the front of that thing before all is said and done!

I will be bringing the airframe to Vic's event in NC for any of you who will be there to check out...there is no way I can get it in the air by then but at least some of you on the East Coast will be able to see it.
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,225 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. It certainly looks nicer than the first one.

I think it could use a bigger fin, but we'll see how it goes I guess. 60mm in the front seems really big. Maybe you're supposed to stick a ducted fan in there!
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:19 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,825 Posts
Very good to se they have kicked it up a notch!! This one looks good.

Can you please weigh the parts before glueing and cutting
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:53 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,337 Posts
Looks nice!
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:27 AM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
That new tail looks much nicer......She is just an amazing looking Bird.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
The Sarawak KoloMee
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
look like not a bad choice for my
p20se
SniperWj is offline Find More Posts by SniperWj
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
The Sarawak KoloMee
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
oh ,care to share how much you
paid for this monster?
SniperWj is offline Find More Posts by SniperWj
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,494 Posts
Some more first impressions.

Well I looked at this plane last evening...alot. Here are some more first or second impressions

The weight is better than the first one. I stuck everything on the scale this morning and it was 719grams

All the flying surfaces are thinner and the trailing edges come to nearly a razor. Leading edges are sharper as well

This is all good as I believe the first airframe WAS somewhat draggy...I can tell already this one will be faster however I also believe that this one will fly very differently than the first...especially at launch and at landing

Second impressions - I do not like the nose...it is just to big and after looking at available spinners I am not happy. Aeronaut makes a 60mm folder which I already received and I hate it. It is huge and short and the air intake is tiny...Graupner makes a fixed prop Spinner but it is not a Turbo and I want air going through that motor. True Turn makes Turbo Cool Spinners that work really well but not in 60mm only 2 1/4 inch which isn't quite large enough. Soooooo...I don't know what I am going to do with the nose......HEY HENKE how about a TURBOPROP in the nose???? I think it would fit.

The old Monster spoiled me in the ROOM department. This one does not have as much room inside which I guess is a trade off for a faster trimmer airframe...will probably appreciate it more during WOT passes.
this one also seems to have a shorter nose...I don't have the old one to compare (nothing left of the nose).
Last edited by arcticflyer; Jun 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
444 kph
Joined Nov 2008
513 Posts
edited
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; Aug 12, 2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Maybe Tru-Turn..can machine you a special spinner??
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,494 Posts
Thanks Scorpion Fan - that thread will be a big help as I build...great idea tucking that outrunner inside like that.

Shhhh - I might contact TrueTurn later today...still have to think about it awhile...I have some friends that are great craftsmen with a lathe/milling machine. Would be nice to get something made motor mount wise that is totally removeable, interchangeable and tapers that nose.
Last edited by arcticflyer; Jun 20, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:41 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,225 Posts
That turbo spinner is probably just as much drag as not having one at all. A good solution is to add some thickness to the front lip of the fuselage and round it over. Then run a spinner that is smaller, leaving an annular gap for cooling air. Take a look at Rare Bear or other high speed radial powered airplanes. I used this on a speed 400 model that does 200 mph. Seems to work well.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:34 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Maybe Tru-Turn..can machine you a special spinner??
Be prepared to take out a second mortgage
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,494 Posts
Spinner Woes.

Steve - True Turn does make a 2.1/4 inch turbo Cool that is a little bit smallish...might try your idea and use that spinner.

Jacko - might call them just to see what they would quote.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
Steve - True Turn does make a 2.1/4 inch turbo Cool that is a little bit smallish...might try your idea and use that spinner.

Jacko - might call them just to see what they would quote.
I do not think that spinner looks all that bad,i think the problem is that the Fuselage is screaming "OUTRUNNER!"
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child