HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:23 PM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Complaining about a movie that has The Duke? What flavor of communist are you???

Just Kidding.

Yeah, but back then you did not need a lot off flash and bang, they had these guys called SCRIPT WRITTERS that wrote scripts that were good and would keep your attention, but they are extict today as you can tell by the movies Battleship and Prometheus.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
I have probably watched that old movie at least 10 times in my life, same with The treasure of the Sierra Madre'... I have probably seen it 20 times or more... the banditios and Bogarts little chat is still funny... Show me your badges!
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
.. Show me your badges!
We don neeed no stinken badges!
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:45 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
A classic. I wonder how many movies released this year will still be quoted over 60 years from now?
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel View Post
You think Flying Tigers is bad? Watch God is My CoPilot. Cheesier than a pizza factory!

CD
Ever read the book? Better even than Das Boot..

Pappy Boyington's trash paper back was stupid. 'Show me a hero and I prove he's a bum' What a a dick.
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
My "favorite" part of GIMCP was when he claimed a Zero's 20mm cannon shell hit the back of his seat armor and drove rivets into his back.

As far as I know, the Flying Tigers NEVER saw a Zero or anything else with a 20mm cannon. Their opponents were usually A5M Claudes or KI-27 Nates (which they called Abduls). If they ran into an Oscar (unlikely in early 1942), it still had no cannons.

A man of "God" indeed!
Bob HSG is offline Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:00 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
My "favorite" part of GIMCP was when he claimed a Zero's 20mm cannon shell hit the back of his seat armor and drove rivets into his back.

As far as I know, the Flying Tigers NEVER saw a Zero or anything else with a 20mm cannon. Their opponents were usually A5M Claudes or KI-27 Nates (which they called Abduls). If they ran into an Oscar (unlikely in early 1942), it still had no cannons.

A man of "God" indeed!
Scott flew against the Japanese after his Flying Tiger stint. He flew In China in 1944, and then flew at Okinawa.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Scott flew against the Japanese after his Flying Tiger stint. He flew In China in 1944, and then flew at Okinawa.
Yes, but the story in the book was during his tenure with the Flying Tigers, which ended in July 1942. No Zeroes. Just another lie from a "man of God."
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but the story in the book was during his tenure with the Flying Tigers, which ended in July 1942. No Zeroes. Just another lie from a "man of God."
From WIki:

Quote:
Robert Lee Scott Jr. (12 April 1908 – 27 February 2006) was a Brigadier General in the United States Air Force. Scott is best known for his autobiography God is My Co-Pilot about his exploits in World War II with the Flying Tigers and the United States Army Air Forces in China and Burma.
Apparently, the book's scope included his AAF service.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
I haven't read Scott's book in many years. But I was struck by contradictory statements about the Japanese. On the one hand they were a skilled and brave adversary. On the other hand, they were the near sighted, buck toothed caricature popular in posters and cartoons of the time. I thought the book had received a certain amount of wartime PC editing, whether by Scott or an editor.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,814 Posts
Now that the power is back on, I can finally finish replying.

The book and the movie were two, totally different things. Hollywood made his book into a propaganda film. Sneaky Jap spies, a Jap ace that had to have his opponents aircraft sabotaged before he could win, etc.

It was a common error to think of the Japanese fighters the AVG, etc., faced as being Zeros. The Zero was flown by the Imperial Navy, and was only rarely encountered by the AVG. The Imperial Army was in charge of most of the conflict, and their best fighter was the KI-43 Hayabusa (Allied named "Oscar"). The KI-43 was considered more maneuverable than the Zero, but it was very lightly armed, usually with only two machine guns, usually of 7.7 or 12.7 (~.303 and ~.50 cal.).

The Tigers did encounter some KI-45 Tony's, though, and they did mount cannon. Fortunately, their maneuvability didn't come close to that of the Japanese single-engined fighters.

Bob HSG, stick it in your ear. Scott's religion has nothing to do with this.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:46 PM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
734 Posts
Quote:
There were Zeros fighting in China prior to Pearl Harbor. Saburo Sakai details his own experience switching from the A5M "Claude" to the Zero and regaining air superiority in China. In fact Claire Chennault was familiar with the Zero's performance long before Pearl Harbor.
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel View Post
Bob HSG, stick it in your ear. Scott's religion has nothing to do with this.

CD
You're right. My apologies...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatman View Post
There were Zeros fighting in China prior to Pearl Harbor. Saburo Sakai details his own experience switching from the A5M "Claude" to the Zero and regaining air superiority in China. In fact Claire Chennault was familiar with the Zero's performance long before Pearl Harbor.
The Zeroes were service tested in August 1940 over Chunking. They were all over the I-16s and I-153s of the Nationalist Chinese air force. But I don't think there were ever very many Zeroes in China. In addition to misidentifying Oscars, when the Ki-84 debuted, they were often mistaken for Zeroes as well.

But I'm still pretty sure the reference in the book was allegedly when he was with the Flying Tigers, not in the USAAF. Whatever...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:04 PM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
734 Posts
No doubt that many airmen referred to JA or JN fighters as "Zeros" (just as most German tanks were by default were "Tigers" in Europe), so he probably was mistaken. I just took issue with the "NO zeros= Liar" comment.
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman