HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
inexpensive sims any good?

Just got a trainer going for my 8 year old son and am thinking of getting a cheap sim for him . I know nothing about sims, i learned the old fashion way.....Anyway i saw a DYNAM 6ch USB sim {here In sweden for "only" about $40) . At hobby king i see they have a new one out for $15 ( i need to order some other stuff so the price sounds right). Also i have an old Airtronics VG6DR Vanguard with trainer function and i wonder if i can use this with a cord to my computer and some downloads.....( first i thought of getting a cord for my new hitec but thought better of it so i don't have to worry about my son dropping it or something....)Any advice would be great!!!! Had his first flight the other day and loved it!!! If the Airtronic would work what kind of cords should i use? Thanks!!
banzaichibi is offline Find More Posts by banzaichibi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
That $15 Hobbyking part should be avoided like the plague. It's a device that allows the user to steal his choice of flight sim. What sim the user chooses to steal would not be supported or upgradable. It's a shame the Chinese can't be stopped from selling it.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
I believe the hobbyking simulator the op is referring to for $15 is the exact same thing as the $40 dollar dynam. It is a USB 6 ch "transmitter" and comes with the free FMS simulator software.

The FMS software that comes with the dynam or the legal hobbyking offering is free and available for download. It works for basic orientation training and learning the stick functions for flight in different directions (coming towards you vs away from you). Beyond that it isn't really useful but it serves a purpose for what it is.

I highly recommend a more advanced software if you are serious about the hobby. They will give you useful practice and though the simulators (Real Flight and Phoenix being the most popular) are more expensive they are still cheaper than learning without a sim by crashing and repairing your aircraft.

RealFlight comes with a usb sim tx modeled after a futaba and Phoenix comes either with a real tx (spektrum DX5E) or as software only with a dongle for hooking your tx to the computer.

A good simulator will be great not only for learning but also for rainy, windy days and well worth the price!

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!! Sheds some light on the differences......as usual it seems you get what you pay for!! I actually had a brainstorm and checked into it a bit and seems like another option. Using my old Airtronics Vanguard FM TX with a better simulator. It still works and as you say it could be fun on a rainy day for me as well as teaching my son to fly! Thanks again!!!!!!
banzaichibi is offline Find More Posts by banzaichibi
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
To be honest you get what you pay with simulators. If you pay big money for Phoenix you'll you'll really benefit from it and won't regret it. If you get the hobby king sim or other cheap sims you're still getting a sim but maybe not a very good one with bad graphics and it isn't very realistic. See for an 8 year old he'll pick it up very quickly but Phoenix really is the best option. It up to you but what ever you do don't get the pirated dongles of eBay its much cheaper and the same product but really it's not worth it .
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Phoenix really is the best option.
Well, dang it, I've been using the wrong sim for 10 years! Now you tell me! But, like you say, paying big money gets you a better sim. I guess my sim IS better than Phoenix - it costs more!!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,477 Posts
Clearview user here, yes I know I'm among the shunned.

I'd say if you are serious about your simming then by all means spend the money for a really good one with support and upgrade options.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Get phoenix or Realflight (I think phoenix is better) you won't regret it. You'll have lifetime support and free upgrades.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Get phoenix or Realflight (I think phoenix is better) you won't regret it. You'll have lifetime support and free upgrades.
Note: free upgrades are only for Phoenix. With Realflight you have support only until later versions are released and you'll pay for upgrades.

It's a shame "best" is such a meaningless word really. Personally I think the free or low cost sims are plenty good enough when you're first learning and without any possible doubt they're "best" for value for money .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
without any possible doubt they're "best" for value for money .
When the cost is 0, you can't divide value by cost. You get an error!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:01 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Though there is a mathematical argument that a value divided by zero is logically infinite. Just as with sims you get to take your choice .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
The better sims are expensive but if you are serious about RC flight they will definitely save you money in crash expenses. That said, everything has it's place. The free FMS simulator will help with learning the controls in different orientations, getting used to the aircraft coming towards you and your controls being reversed. I have been able to fly an aircraft in FMS and have it "bounce" off the ground and back into the air and continue flying. Trust me, that doesn't happen in real life But if you just want to get a feel for the controls it has it's place. There are a few other newer free sims that I have not tried myself so I really can't comment on them personally. For helicopters there is HeliSimRC and it has very good physics and is fairly true to real flight characteristics but it is heli only and no selection of models to speak of.

I have never used Clearview so I can't comment on that. Clearview is in the middle price wise and I believe you can download a demo to try it out before you make a purchase.

How good inexpensive sims are really depends on what you are expecting to get out of them. Do you want to learn basic controls in different orientations (going away from you vs pointed towards you) or do you want to practice 3D or aerobatic flight and use it as you progress to learn more complex manuevers?

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Can not divide by zero. I wonder other than me how many people caught that?

I have noticed that 3d is near impossible in Clearview. The physics are quite decent for the price of the software though. Crash detection could be a bit better. I've had crashes when hitting nothing.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:20 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Can not divide by zero. I wonder other than me how many people caught that?

I have noticed that 3d is near impossible in Clearview. The physics are quite decent for the price of the software though. Crash detection could be a bit better. I've had crashes when hitting nothing.
Couldn't agree more... My 3-D skills seem to have hit a plateau using clearview, but as you said, for the price, it's not bad at all really.

Would I buy Phoenix if I could spare the extra $130..?? Youbetcha!
But in the same breath, I can't complain... clearview definitely does the job!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
just now i bought Phoenix V3 from their website. Whoooo