HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
Philippines, NCR, Quezon City
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Film coverings

Any experiences on these films? I asked because it's cheap. It just doesnt say if it's low heat, high heat or med.
DYORD is offline Find More Posts by DYORD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,238 Posts
I had very good results with my first trial use of this film:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=63

So far so good (a few months later) but I don't have any information on longer-term durability.

Also no idea of things like fuel resistance (irrelevant to an all-electric guy like me).

There are lots of (mostly positive) comments here on RCG.

Try it. I think you'll like it.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:49 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Jan 2006
53 Posts
Covered both of these with it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581339

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606772

Just like above, I do electric so not sure about the fuel or the durability. The workability applying it is nice, though. Every bit as easy as UltraCote. And the rolls seem huge after using UltraCote. They don't have an inner cardboard tube, and mine keep going and going...
8KCAB is offline Find More Posts by 8KCAB
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
I have a 4 year old E sailplane with white and trans red. Still looks good after being in the intense Arizona sun. Some of the reds and blues I have from HK have changed in color hue. In other words the same color ordered long ago is now slightly different.
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:28 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCAB View Post
. The workability applying it is nice, though. Every bit as easy as UltraCote. And the rolls seem huge after using UltraCote. They don't have an inner cardboard tube, and mine keep going and going...
+1

It is a low temp covering, and applies very easily once you manage to peel the backing off it Does compound curves well too. It's too early for me too, to comment on durability. Like Oracover/ultracote, mask the film overlaps before you hit it with the heat gun. I fly electric only, so can't comment on fuel resistance. You can clean it with lacquer thinner FWIW.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Thanks.... I'll wait 'til someone chime in with nitro fuel.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,055 Posts
One of the guys at my club covered a 40 sized trainer with it, and after about 5 flights it still looks good, but after 5 flights, raw balsa also looks good.

I'll report back in a years time and let you know
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,468 Posts
Re HK coverings just watch when covering thin sections like tailplanes ,if the 2nd covering touches the first it will stick and wont come apart without damage , my cure was to dust with talc the inside of the first covering.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:23 AM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Jan 2006
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Re HK coverings just watch when covering thin sections like tailplanes ,if the 2nd covering touches the first it will stick and wont come apart without damage , my cure was to dust with talc the inside of the first covering.
Yes - I remember that now. It seems like I could get away with sticking Ultracote on Ultracote, and then pulling it back off and re-placing it if I screwed up by using a little heat. Doesn't work that well with the HK stuff.
8KCAB is offline Find More Posts by 8KCAB
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:54 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
565 Posts
I covered this plane with it and it worked great. the white is some monokote I had lying around. The only thing I could say to look out for is taht certain colors have a white adhesive on them so when your overlapping your pieces a little bit when it shinks some there will be a little residue but you can clean it up pretty easy. just more work thats all.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
One of the guys at my club covered a 40 sized trainer with it, and after about 5 flights it still looks good, but after 5 flights, raw balsa also looks good.

I'll report back in a years time and let you know
Sorry... i don't get it. You mean HK coverings are not meant for nitro planes? It just becomes transparent?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,055 Posts
I don't know how well the adhesive will stand raw fuel, a) its not my plane so I can't go dumping fuel on it, and b) it may take some time to fail. generally capilllary action will draw fuel between the layers of covering, and cause it to degrade.

In a year's time we'll know whether the film can withstand fuel.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
I don't know how well the adhesive will stand raw fuel, a) its not my plane so I can't go dumping fuel on it, and b) it may take some time to fail. generally capilllary action will draw fuel between the layers of covering, and cause it to degrade.

In a year's time we'll know whether the film can withstand fuel.
If we're talking about years... i can handle that!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:28 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,055 Posts
Yeah, for some guys having it last for 5 flights is 4 flights too many, but having models that are over 30 years old, I look for a bit more longevity these days.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 03:16 AM
Think about it...
United States, CA, Pomona
Joined Dec 2010
95 Posts
It has been well over a year. I'm reviving a thread. Don't yell at me...
cool5tuff is offline Find More Posts by cool5tuff