SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
Discussion
Curious........Has anyone built or tried to build a Bi-plane Sailplane

I was wondering if anyone has built or tried to build a Bi-Plane Sailplane? Something in say a 2M size. Hi-Start,Winchable or electric. Maybe even a Bi-plane DLG

I just thought it might be a fun project if it's at all possible.

Any thoughts,ideas,pictures,etc.or am I just one step closer to the nut house in my old age.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
714 Posts
Eddie,

About four years ago a new guy showed up at our field with an electric biplane glider. He had some pretty old technology in terms of motor and battery, but he did manage to get it in the air. It really struggled. A very short flight then he had to recharge. Very sluggish on controls as well.

The plane was very heavy and the wings seemed to be over-built for a glider and the wingspan in relation to the size of the fuselage seemed short. I was impressed with the guy's perseverance since it looked like this was quite a project. If memory serves me, it kind of looked like a motorized Gentle Lady or that general layout but with two wings, one "stacked" on struts above the "regular wing". They seemed a little too close compared to a regular bipe.

My thought is that a longer, well-designed single wing would perform much better than a biplane arrangement for sailplanes. Just an opinion. Maybe an aero-engineer will pop in with some ideas.

By the way, I never saw that guy again. Think he could have made some contributions to the club considering his imagination and willingness to experiment.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,747 Posts
A friend has a Stagger Wing Beech craft sloper. Fly's pretty good too. It's all ePP foam as well.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,991 Posts
Hi Eddie

Was thinking about your 2 wing idea, you just might add quite a bit of weight in the wing to wing and to the fuse hook up stuff.

Plus a 2 m would be a 13 footer and that is good size, so maybe smaller would be better to keep it lighter and use 2 sticks for the rear fuse half and hook to the stab at each end.

And a small pod between the wings for the RC gear, you could use up a few sheets of paper getting this one together.

Have fun !!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,647 Posts
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:30 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
741 Posts
There was a full scale soaring bipe

Here's some info on a full scale soaring (more gliding than soaring I suspect) biplane, an early homebuilt, the Heath Super Soarer. A model of this would certainly raise eyebrows at your flying field.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,476 Posts
Well, of course it is possible. But I don't see any advantage of having a second wing and it will more than double the drag. As a thermal glider it's performance would be very disappointing. But on a slope with unlimited energy available you can afford to have an aerodynamically inefficient plane and not have any problems staying up. But still there wouldn't be any other advantage than novelty value.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
I just thought it might be a fun project. Something different.

I wouldn't expect it to be a competition type plane. But would love to see the looks on all the guys faces as you took it to the winch.
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,133 Posts
Years ago in one of the magazines (remember those things?? ) there was a picture of one that was slapped together from the remains of several gliders that died at a contest.
If it actually flew or not I don't remember.
Anybody else have something to ad???

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
504 Posts
I hope the link works:

http://modeliste01.skyrock.com/28082...-colab-n1.html
fnev is offline Find More Posts by fnev
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,093 Posts
Biplanes have lower induced drag than monoplanes of the same span. Especially if the wings are fairly far apart (in the vertical direction). Of course, the wings get in each others way a bit. Perhaps the best thing for that would be to stagger them a lot, although if you don't stagger them much, you can join the tips for even less induced drag. If you swept the aft ones forward and the forward ones aft....Hmm...sounds like we just reinvented the joined wing. If the wings were not joined, it would probably help to use anhedral on the lower ones and dihedral on the upper ones. At least until it's time to land!

I think you could get a glider which had a lower sink rate than a conventional one, but it would likely have some extra drag when trying to go fast. And if you measured things in terms of L/D per building hour, it would be hopeless.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:45 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
I remember back about 1978 I saw someone flying a biplane hobby hawk at Torrey Pines CA. It seemed to fly ok.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
504 Posts
I am surprised no one reacted to the video I linked to...

Unfortunately it is a french site and you have an add that covers the video window for a few seconds before you may access it. You as well can click on the top right corner of the add to make it disappear quicker...

This project went all the way to full scale application but never passed the prototype/experimental stage as far as I know while showing some very interesting results and performances

fnev is offline Find More Posts by fnev
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:22 AM
USA, CA, Roseville
Joined Aug 2006
483 Posts
The wing spacing should be at least equal to the cord length of wing to keep both wings effective.

I miss my 2x4 that had great maneuverability with its short wing. Maybe with a biplane design you can create a super floater with all that wing area but that would be slightly more aerobatic than a typical 2m.
hasselblad7 is offline Find More Posts by hasselblad7
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:12 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnev View Post
I am surprised no one reacted to the video I linked to...

Unfortunately it is a french site and you have an add that covers the video window for a few seconds before you may access it. You as well can click on the top right corner of the add to make it disappear quicker...

This project went all the way to full scale application but never passed the prototype/experimental stage as far as I know while showing some very interesting results and performances

Maybe this is the reason you didn't get a response:
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS