HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:47 AM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Jan 2007
39 Posts
Discussion
SK Ornithopter After Market Replacement Parts

After trying for several months to order a main gear and other parts with no response from SK, It was time to find another source for what was needed.

Since supplying spares does not seem to be a priority for SK, it may be time to start a thread for members to share sources for spare parts. Both the Shrike and Lazy Hawk used the same main gear. It is 32 pitch with 64 teeth. Each model uses a different motor gear, but the main gears may be common to all models. This company is a source for main gears that are identical to the original:

Stock Drive Products / Sterling Instrument
2101 Jericho Tpke., Box 5416, New Hyde Park, NY 11040
PHONE: 516-328-3300
http://sdp-si.com/

The gear part number is: A 1M 2-TA32064. The gears were $3.42 each, but they charged $13.44 for shipping and handling, so it would be wise to order everything you need at one time.

They also sell many other spur gears, bearings, rod ends and spline rods that may be applicable to the various models. If you find a part from this or any other source that may be useful to keep our birds flying, please post the info here. My Shrike is finally back in the air with the new SDP/SI main gear.
keithm is offline Find More Posts by keithm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
This is very helpful. Thanks so much for the information and starting the thread.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
servolink.com has all the gears and smallparts.com.au has pinion wire and bearings cheers brian G10 is availiable from many places but carbon is better IMO
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:10 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
I can confirm that the gear part number :- A 1M 2-TA32052. Is the main gear as used on the latest batch of Park Hawks (4).

Having just stripped one of mine durring pre-flight trials.
Snetzka is offline Find More Posts by Snetzka
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Apr 2001
372 Posts
Gear

I have a Parkhawk 2 . I need the main gear. the biggest one it is , it is 32 pitch, 80 tooth and 2 1/2 inch diameter. Do you know if they have that one...Thanks for your help.
Flyboy70 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy70
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:54 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy70 View Post
I have a Parkhawk 2 . I need the main gear. the biggest one it is , it is 32 pitch, 80 tooth and 2 1/2 inch diameter. Do you know if they have that one...Thanks for your help.
servocity or servolink .com will
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm View Post
After trying for several months to order a main gear and other parts with no response from SK, It was time to find another source for what was needed.

Since supplying spares does not seem to be a priority for SK, it may be time to start a thread for members to share sources for spare parts. Both the Shrike and Lazy Hawk used the same main gear. It is 32 pitch with 64 teeth. Each model uses a different motor gear, but the main gears may be common to all models. This company is a source for main gears that are identical to the original:

Stock Drive Products / Sterling Instrument
2101 Jericho Tpke., Box 5416, New Hyde Park, NY 11040
PHONE: 516-328-3300
http://sdp-si.com/

The gear part number is: A 1M 2-TA32064. The gears were $3.42 each, but they charged $13.44 for shipping and handling, so it would be wise to order everything you need at one time.

They also sell many other spur gears, bearings, rod ends and spline rods that may be applicable to the various models. If you find a part from this or any other source that may be useful to keep our birds flying, please post the info here. My Shrike is finally back in the air with the new SDP/SI main gear.
You tried several months to get a main gear from me? Tell me who you are please.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:57 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Jan 2007
39 Posts
SK Ornithopter After Market Replacement Parts

Sean:

I sent this to you on April 23, 2012:

Quote:
Sean:

I'll take you up on your offer of April 16:

"As for your new bird..if you have a Shrike already may I suggest a Lazy Hawk...that or a Slow Hawk. I think you would like either one.
I will build it and take photos of it for you so you can see it's built and ready to ship before you pay.

Thanks,
Sean Kinkade
www.flappingflight.com
"

ORDER # 1 - I'd prefer the Lazy Hawk, but if these are not ready and the Slow Hawk is, that would be fine. As far as colors, If you have an available stock, let me know the choices and I'll pick one. If not, I'd like a black body, yellow wing with black trim and an orange tail. Please advise if there are other choices that I need to make. In addition, I'd like to order some spare parts for whichever bird I will get. I think I would I'd like:

1-Extra set of ferrules (sparrules?) (2 sets)
2-Extra dual main gears (1)
3-Extra middle gear (1)
4-Extra metal pinion wire (long metal gear) (1)
5-Extra fuselage frame. (in case I break the nose)

but if in your opinion, some of these are not needed or not applicable, and other parts are, I'd be guided by your recommendations. If neither the LH or SH are currently in stock, please advise if any other bird kits are ready for shipment. It would not be necessary to delay shipment of the bird if all the spares are not available.

ORDER # 2 I have a couple of early Shrike and a SunBird kits. I happened to notice the post you made on RCGroups about the main gear and spline needing replacement on these. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161140

Below is a photo of my the SunBird kit. It appears that I have the old style gear and spline.
1. Can you supply the correct gear and spline?
2. If so, please advise as to cost and availability.
3. If not, can you identify a source for what is needed?
I received no response from you.

On April 25, 2012 I attempted to get confirmation my email had been received:

Quote:
Sean:
Could you confirm that you received this email I sent on Monday and that the order will be filled?
You then sent the following:

Quote:
Hi Keith,

So you have made tentative orders here? Basically a CODD. ( cash on delivery day).

Order #1) Okay yes, I can make a bird that color...at present Lazy Hawks are on the table so I will make that for you.
I have all spare parts.

Order #2) For the old SunBird, yes I have the fine tooth main gear ( 96T) and 10T pinion axle, and I have the coarse gear ( 64 teeth) too.

Sean
In the end, I was never able to get the parts or the Lazy Hawk. I eventually got tired of looking at my broken SunBird and found the source for the gears that is the subject of this thread. I've got a number of spare gears now and the bird is back in the air. I'll assume we just mis-communicated. I would still like to buy the Lazy Hawk and all the parts mentioned in the above email minus the gears. I'm ready to send money as soon as you are ready to ship. Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for any confusion that I may have caused.

KeithM
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Jan 2007
39 Posts
Help requested

Both main gears on my Lazy Hawk stripped in flight. The bird made a gentle landing with no harm done. Replacement gears were easily installed, but the cause of the problem was more difficult to find. A careful inspection revealed that both rod ends that connect the flex plates to the spars had quite a lot of wear between the metal bearing and the surrounding material. Wear in this area could have put excessive stress on the main gears. The rod ends appear to be made of Delrin or a similar product and have metal bearings pressed into place. I assume this is a high wear part and those of you who fly a lot must have had to replace this assembly.

Both connecting rod end type links will need to be replaced. The rod end has what appears to be a G10 plate with holes for attachment hardware glued into the hole at the end. The rod end appears to have been manufactured with the bearing already installed. Questions:

1. Does anyone have a source for the rod end? I could probably separate the glued in G10 plate and reinstall it on a new rod end if necessary. I checked the sources Brian provided, but could not make a positive ID on any of the parts

2. Does anyone have the entire assembly with the G10 attach plate installed they wish to sell? If so, please PM me.

3. Any other ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,856 Posts
Look around for the upper ball link. As for the G-10 flex plate. You can buy G-10 plate from www.acp-composites.com and I use Sk's flex plate as template and dremel it out.
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Nov 2010
26 Posts
I'm having to replace the right main gear on my Park Hawk v4. Can any one tell me if the right axis screw is a left hand thread. Thanks
blueskysailor is offline Find More Posts by blueskysailor
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:48 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
no they are both RH
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
26 Posts
Thanks for the answer. The screws are real tight
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
they are cos they usually have locktite on them i have snapped one before and had to make a new shaft
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
26 Posts
Is that red or blue. I'll try heating the screw up with a soldering gun.