HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:40 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,335 Posts
Question
Damaged 6S Lipo; One cell bad; Need help with discharge and disposal

I've got a 6S-3000 that was in a crash. There is small but visible physical damage to cell #3 (pic attached, wrapper peeled away by me for view). Post crash all cells had pretty much equal voltages at around 3.8
I charged the battery, charger really struggled getting it balanced (took a long time), to get cell #3 up to 4.2 volts. I was suspicious so after a break I put it on a 1C discharge, set to go down to 3.6v per cell to see much capacity came out. About 45 minutes later the charger started alarming, I was in the room the whole time ran over and saw that it terminated due to low voltage on (you guessed it) cell #3. #3 was at 3.1v while all the others at 3.7v

I've had this battery in a lipo bag by itself on a concrete floor for the last week or so wondering what to do with it. In that time cell #3 has now dropped to 2.9v, others still at 3.7v. Using the charger to discharge is not an option - I suppose I could fool the charger (icharger 306b) by not plugging in the balance port but that doesn't seem like a good idea - I'm not looking for a fire on my workbench.

The whole point - how can I discharge this battery safely so it can be disposed of?

I've read different things about the salt water bath: some say do it, others say do it after discharged, and others say it will not discharge a lipo.
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,846 Posts
Salt is a no-go.
For a 6s you will have to make a series light bulb discharger. Put 2 automotive light bulbs in series. An 1157 or 2057 will work. Simply go from your battery plug to a mating plug + to bottom contact/contacts of bulb 1. Solder a short wire from brass side to bulb 2 contact/contacts. Another wire from bulb 2 brass side to the - of plug.
These will get hot and may take all night to fully discharge this pack. Do this in a safe area as you will not be there to monitor it that long.
Just because the light bulbs are not lit the pack may not be fully discharged. Once ALL heat is gone + 1 hour it should be discharged to a safe disposal state.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
^^ What Rick said.
If your charger has a discharge function you can put it into Nicad mode, set for .1 volts at max discharge and do that a couple of times to affect a complete discharge.
Either way, once the pack is discharged, strip and twist the leads together to prevent voltage rebound in the pack.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:15 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
FWIW when I discharge packs, I put them on the grill outside and close the lid. I have never had any issues but if one does flame it won't hurt anything.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
pgk
Joined Mar 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
FWIW when I discharge packs, I put them on the grill outside and close the lid. I have never had any issues but if one does flame it won't hurt anything.
Except if you were planning on grilling burgers that day! (: lol... Sorry, couldn't resist...

Pete
pgk is offline Find More Posts by pgk
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
Well If I see it flame up, I just go get the patties and start cookin. (JK)
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant