HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:15 AM
The Tree? Yea I can hit that!
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2009
205 Posts
Question
What model cox is this?

This seems to be a common question, and I am sorry, butI can seem to be sure what model cox engine this is and how much it is worth. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
-MR
MOUNTAINROAD is offline Find More Posts by MOUNTAINROAD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Possibly a combination of parts, all of which are readily available. The cylinder may have a number stamped on either the side near the bottom, or on the small face in the corner of an exhaust port. You may need a magnifying glass. If it's a "1" then you have a Black Widow cylinder and you should see a gap under the piston when you turn it to top dead center. If a 5/64" drill bit fits easily through the venturi inlet in the tank bowl and backplate, and it has a #1 cylinder, you essentially have a Black Widow that's not Black anodized. How it got that way will likely remain a mystery.

If either of the cases I described is different, post back with what you have and we can try to narrow it down.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
I was going to quickly answer your question cox 049, and then thought I would do a little research before I said something thoughtless.

I never realized before how many different names cox gave the 049 based on tank shape, size and colour and the same can be said for the throttle, cylinder head, needle valve and base.

Here in Canada new 049ís go for 25 to 50 dollars based on tank and throttle.

Here is a link for a very expense store in Canada that has Cox in stock. On the left in the little search bar, just type in cox, hit enter. The results will turn up several different models and parts. I did not see a cox matching exactly, but there is one very similar to yours.

http://www.greathobbies.com/search/results/
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Here's where a lot of Cox collectors hang out: http://www.coxengineforum.com/

Here are the best sources for Cox engines, parts, spec sheets and documents: http://coxengines.ca/
And: http://www.exmodelengines.com/home.php?cat=250
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:28 PM
The Tree? Yea I can hit that!
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2009
205 Posts
I can see the 1 one the cylinder. That makes it a black widow?
MOUNTAINROAD is offline Find More Posts by MOUNTAINROAD
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:15 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
It is probably a BW -- a lot of engines were parted up when Estes was running the show. This engine has characteristics that put it in the transition period. It has the plastic backplate and ratchet starter, but a stunt tank and single slit exhaust. There were a number of BW's that shipped without anodizing on the tank or case.

The 1 on the single slit cylinder is indicative of an earlier BW, but the lack of anodizing, ratchet starter and plastic backplate place it later, so while it has the indicators, it does not fall into the design parameters of early engines. It will likely be a good runner, however.

andrw
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820