Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Idea
2.2 m Foam glider wing in need of a fuselage idea

Greetings:
I have a one piece 2.2 meter (87 inches) 215 mm (8.5 inches) tapering to 88 mm (3.5 inches). This is a very fast wing that came off a Swift S1 glider kit that I destroyed the fuselage in a pilot error crash. I would like to make a pod with a carbon rod boom, maybe with a V tail? I have searched here and not seen anything yet. Maybe someone can point me to some foam glider plans that I can scale and modify for this wing? Also it needs to be tough as the Sierra Nevada mountains where I live is nothing but rocks! I have scratchbuilt about a dozen foam planes so I have a few skills. I could maybe rebuild the fuse but I am looking for a fun alternative. Powered or non- powered ideas welcome.
Thanks for you help in advance
Sir Dumb Thumb is online now Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Last edited by Sir Dumb Thumb; Jun 19, 2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Forgot the tough factor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:05 PM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Oh yeah the wing is a RSB22 airfoil, 330 sq.cm wing area. Is there any place that sells a inexpensive pod and boom fuselage that might work?
Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:38 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,077 Posts
SDT, that's a big wing ! How about a 'V-fuse' underside and nose with a pusher prop setup just behind wing. Is it possible to fit a double boom to a twin tail and elevator perhaps. I had a 'boomerang' model donated to me with this type of wing setup (front motor though) and it's deffinitely different, flies well and looks good. Not aware of anything 'off-the-shelf' but hey this is your opportunity to be inventive
RWData is online now Find More Posts by RWData
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:09 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
You need to read Ed's foambuilt university thread probably fold up a piece of dollar tree foamboard into a box type fuselage and attach the wing with mounting tape or rubber bands. Check out the axon motor glider build thread and substitute your wings. I just did the same thing you did with a motor glider and did a 'clip" I cut the motor and wing mount off the wreck and mounted it on a square tube fuselage and I'm back in business
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,743 Posts
Check out davereap's thread on pod and boom gliders. He did a fuse that sounds like what you are looking for.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:27 AM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Thanks, for the great ideas!!! I am leaning toward the pod and boom glider.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:34 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
A pod and boom is an easy answer use a 6mm CF tube for the boom, and 6mm tape covered depron for the V tail feathers...

Your wing is a big one and looks very flat..so I would add a bit of dihedral to make its flight a bit easier,
If it has ailerons then 3" - 4" under each tip will be fine... with no ailerons 10 degrees works well .
Check out the latest Pod builds on my thread.. the newer method is working well... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1401748&page=5

However if you want more strength in your build, I think a combination of my new method with your cheap foamboard is easiest..
its not a product that is available here in the UK .. but would be a good choice to add strength, instead of the uncovered depron that I use
Possibly the foam board can also be used for the tail feathers, It depends on its weight , it may give COG problems if its too heavy...however you are talking of using a big lump of a motor, and that with a foamboard pod might ballance it out ok

In your PM you mentioned dimensions.. the boom and tail sizes off my 1.7 should be ok..with perhaps a slight increase in the tail area +1" either side..
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jun 21, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:16 PM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Thanks

davereap, and kopperlis123, thanks for the help!! I like both techniques but I think I am going with Dave's boom and pod. I liked how ExperimentalAir cut out the paper on the inside of the foamboard and bent it around to create the box, fast and efficient, I will remember that for future use. I am going to use 9 mm EPP foam instead of Depron as I fly in some very rocky areas. I made a covering on my M60 slope gliders EPP fuselage with 15- 20 coats of thinned Welder's glue. It is the strongest plane I have ever owned. Welders glue is kind of like Goop, or Shoe Goo, I don't know if you have them overseas. I thinned it with a nasty thinner called Toluol, it must eat brain cells it smells so bad. The covering it left was so strong that when I tried to drill a 1/8 inch hole through it for my antenna it wound around the drill bit and ripped a hunk of foam and covering out of the fuse. I can't tell you the wicked licks this plane has taken at the slopes. Anyway the arrow shafts are from my 27 year old son who is a archery hunter. He gives me his broken arrows that are 32 inches, (812 mm) when new. I had to glue together to get one over a 1000 mm. I slid in a small piece of 4 mm tube inside and glued it together on my glass table. I then used epoxy and silk cloth on the outside of the joint for reinforcement. My wife had a worn out silk blouse that I am using for cloth.
Thanks again for your help.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:31 AM
Parkesflyer
United Kingdom, Ryde
Joined May 2006
789 Posts
A few days ago I was on the slope with little wind and I realised looking around that the only people flying were using folding prop type planes. Like you I had a 2m wing from a previous scratch idea and Ive now converted it to a fully aerobatic powered glider. The wing was a foam core TP66 root and TP66S at the tip, strengthened with 6x1 CF strips top and bottom, all covered in 125micron laminating film. Full length ailerons are also used in flapperon mode.

For speed and economy I used a 750x14 carbon tube left from a Pitts build, some 6mm depron and a block of 2in foam plus a KD22 motor for which I bought a folding prop.

In line with DLG builds the 2in block was soon shaped for the fusalage and I used 25gm glass and foam friendly superglue to reinforce the outside. The tail feathers were covered in 47micron laminating film and stuck to the carbon tube using the glass and superglue.

A 1050 3 cell and all the radio gear in the front put the CG in the right place.

It went up like a rocket and is then pretty aerobatic so I now have a low wind machine to take to the slope - and flat fields of course.

Richard
RJPIoW is offline Find More Posts by RJPIoW
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:52 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,403 Posts
edf pod

edf & prop
space 1 is online now Find More Posts by space 1
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:57 PM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Richard:
A very nice build. How did you attach the tail feathers to the boom? Space1 that would be wild with the wings that I have to put a edf on the fuselage and turn it into a hotliner.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:59 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,403 Posts
bird

edf bird
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:12 AM
Parkesflyer
United Kingdom, Ryde
Joined May 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Richard:
A very nice build. How did you attach the tail feathers to the boom? .
I set the tail up and glued the CF tube in place with foam safe CA adding 6x1 CF strip each side to reinforce the sides. When this was all dry I used the CA with two layers of 25gm glass cloth about 12mm on each tailplane underside and going around the underside of the CF tube.

Once dry this makes a really light weight, stiff, strong bond.

Richard
RJPIoW is offline Find More Posts by RJPIoW
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:33 PM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Ready for maiden

I am ready for a maiden try just need one more thing. I need wind!! Thanks all for your help I will post after the maiden. The boom is 42 inches (1066 mm) long and of course the wing is still 2.2 meter.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:57 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Richard:
A very nice build. How did you attach the tail feathers to the boom? Space1 that would be wild with the wings that I have to put a edf on the fuselage and turn it into a hotliner.
YOU can mount EDF on top of just about any wing and fly just get CG right and low AUW PS lots power AR AR