Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:44 PM
Loudoun, Va
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
Discussion
HZ Super Cub (my new toy)

So.. after many years of no flying, and one life matter after another I splurged on getting back into the game. Going whole hog on a new DX6i and an HZ Super Cub BNF. I'm all new to this 2.4g stuff. And at 45 yrs old I have a learning curve, too. However... the plane and radio were ready to rock within minutes. I took it out on the street for practice runs taxiing and handling. This resulted in an involuntary flight with a stellar landing in a tree. Once recovered I learned the Cub is fairly bullet proof. So I took it a school field where I found out it isn't fairly bullet proof.

1st flight was like riding a bike. I had the Cub whizzing all around and doing stunts, but I also discovered it has a weakness like a lot of planes--wind gusts. Recovering from low flying stunt the wind drove it back down into the dirt--where it stayed. The fuse was broke in two at the battery box all the way to the wing saddle. I brought it home and fixed it in my driveway with regular CA. This is when I discovered the struts were pointless so I took them off. Back at the field I put in more flight time. Maybe a half and hour, before the wind got really bad. The cowl is shattered on the port side, wing dented, no struts, and repaired fuse all in one morning. However... it flew like a dream no matter what I did to it. Not bad for a 3 ch. Definitely a keeper!

My new Cub and DX6i
Name: IMG-20120617-00073.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 287.2 KB
Description:
Ifishtoo is offline Find More Posts by Ifishtoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Glad to hear you had a great time. I also learned a great deal with the DX6i and HZ Super Cub. I am always amazed how many repairs you can do on these planes and they still fly
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,447 Posts
don't blame you for disliking the struts but put them back on. the wings need them to prevent them from bending upwards. or, mod the struts. i use a dental floss and paper clips strut idea i learnt from a post here on rcgroups.
anyway, glad you like your hz sc. mine is my favorite plane too.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:50 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Yeah, wing struts are not pointless - they keep you from clapping your wings. you can add a spar in the wing if you don't want struts, but you need something.
I kept the struts and just join them with a paperclip for easy on/off.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:27 AM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Modify with ailerons and a good brushless motor and it will handle windy days just fine.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:39 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem View Post
Yeah, wing struts are not pointless - they keep you from clapping your wings. you can add a spar in the wing if you don't want struts, but you need something.
I kept the struts and just join them with a paperclip for easy on/off.
They don't always work, EAGLEYE-1 managed to fold up a set of SC wings slinging a P-51 prop on his SC.

I'll have to look up the paper clip dental floss strut idea. I picked up an Aeronica from Park_Flier over the weekend and it came with a SC wing, the struts don't work with the airframe. The Aeronica mount is further forward than on the SC.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,784 Posts
Well guys all I can say from reading this thread, is ya gotta fly within the limitations of the aircraft. Mods are fine as long as you stay within the bounds that the airframe can take. Obviously the mods you did on this poor Super Cub were overdone just a taste.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
I've broken quite a few hooks on the struts. When this happens I burn a hole in it put wire through anf hook it in. Stays in perfect. Eventually I will add a carbon rod and do away with them
on1wheel01 is offline Find More Posts by on1wheel01
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:23 AM
Loudoun, Va
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
Lots of good input on struts, and if I do anything about them it will likely be a bamboo or carbon spar. The originals just sat there sagging. I flew it with and without and darned if I could see a difference. Then again I wasn't doing nose dive full throttle tight loops either... But the few I did seem to have no ill effect. I was watching the wing for bending as I stressed it out, and I'm pretty sure it never flexed beyond what the struts were gonna allow anyway. I wasn't immediately happy with the struts because the trouble of getting them on and off to do any kind of repair. However... as I bring in the linkage on the control horns I'm fairly certain I'll need them then! Until that day.. I'm just babying the little fellow and having a good time.

I have an old unbuilt .20 54" Sure Flite Cessna 182 that will likely be my 6 ch stunter. That, and about 100 plans sitting on my table. So my Cub gets a break. If I find something noteworthy on it I'll bring it back here and share my findings.
Ifishtoo is offline Find More Posts by Ifishtoo
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifishtoo View Post
...and I'm pretty sure it never flexed beyond what the struts were gonna allow anyway.
I don't have a Supercub for experience but, problem with thinking that theory is, it is quite possible that is the point where the wing will stop flexing and if you had gone beyond that stress, they would have just snapped and folded up. A high wing airplane that the wings fold up like that very much resembles a duck you've just shot fluttering straight to the ground. I do know that look, just not specifically with a Supercub.

Think of it this way. You can exert a certain amount of force on a pencil and visibly bend it. But by applying more force, it doesn't bend any more until the increasing force exerted on it suddenly snaps it in half.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,784 Posts
I really don't have a problem with the struts on my Super Cub. I think they look cool too.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Yeah, they just sit there sagging until you pull a hard loop - then the keep your wing from folding. Ditch the screws that attach them to the bottom of the plane and just bend a paper clip so that it holds both struts. Easy on/off and keeps the struts.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
They don't always work, EAGLEYE-1 managed to fold up a set of SC wings slinging a P-51 prop on his SC.

I'll have to look up the paper clip dental floss strut idea. I picked up an Aeronica from Park_Flier over the weekend and it came with a SC wing, the struts don't work with the airframe. The Aeronica mount is further forward than on the SC.

Holy crap that thing got mangled. Looked like my first crash with my sc lol.

But op you have a nice starter plane that can be modded intop a nice aileron and whatever plane. I simply love mine. Throw some bigger wheels on the front, put a stock front tire on the back, and grass will be no problem.
on1wheel01 is offline Find More Posts by on1wheel01