HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2003, 02:29 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Disappointed with SA's Park Cap 232

NOT!!!!!

I am so overly impressed with this kit I may never be able to buy another 'kit' for fear that the parts won't fit like these do or the instructions won't be as clear as these are. Let me say to all you out there that are a little concerned that you may not be able to handle a kit.... buy this! It may well spoil you as it has me but it is the way to go if you want to be confident you can get it done!

I'm waiting for my Solarfilm, motor mount and LIPolys.

Now, that all said, I do have some questions.

First, what is this piece of plywood? I don't find any ref to it in the plans (and yes, I downloaded the latest PDF from the website).

Then, in the kit there are some toe nuts and nylon screws. Am I correct in assuming I have 2 methods of mounting the wing to the fuze? 1) 2 cross dowels and rubber bands or 2) 2 nylon bolts thru toe nuts inserted in the 2 F-16 parts? Did I miss that in the instructions? Any recommendations on one over the other?

Did I say how pleased I am with this kit?

Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Last edited by Doc Data; Nov 09, 2003 at 06:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2003, 03:04 PM
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Never mind on the plywood. I found a reference to it in another thread and it's the parts for the motor mount for the GWS motor. I'm using a Hacker B20 so it doesn't apply.

Dave
Old Nov 09, 2003, 07:29 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Is that too cool or what. Instead of a balsa stick to mount the GWS gearbox , a hollow biult-up plywood one.

Way to go Bill.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Nov 09, 2003, 07:52 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Data
Never mind on the plywood. I found a reference to it in another thread and it's the parts for the motor mount for the GWS motor. I'm using a Hacker B20 so it doesn't apply.

Dave
It is actually the motor stick that you'll use as well using a Hacker mount (if you're using a Stevens Aero mount). If the firewall is the same as the ones I have built there are two holes for a motor stick... one for the GWS and one for the Hacker mount. Works like a champ

The title threw me for a loop! ... I'm glad that the kit is working out for you... Bill does awesome work huh.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is online now Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Last edited by sukhoi26mx; Nov 09, 2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2003, 07:54 PM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,415 Posts
Dave,
That is correct, you can either use rubber bands or nylon bolts to attach the wings. He added that feature after I built mine.

Brad
byoung is offline Find More Posts by byoung
Old Nov 09, 2003, 07:56 PM
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Thanks!
Old Nov 09, 2003, 07:59 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
The title threw me as well. I have a whole new outlook on the types of planes (kits) I want since building the Park Cap. I used to fly primarily foamies but Bill's technology has changed all that. Just wait until the 40a Cap kit is released (any day now?). Bill just took electric kits to new heights...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Nov 09, 2003, 08:29 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Lol, I got all defensive at first . Bill really has raised the bar on built up kits. There are a lot of large manufacturers out there that should take note and pay Bill lots of $ .

Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:55 AM
Austin Mueller, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2002
350 Posts
Yeah, I came running in too...

I have been contemplating this plane for a while and had only heard good things so I was a bit shocked by the title.

My major hurdle is reclaiming my workshop from my wife's "crafts". Next time I go on a long business trip I am changing the locks...
Diego is offline Find More Posts by Diego
Old Nov 10, 2003, 05:00 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
R.I.P. ...

Come to think of it I'm disappointed with my Park Cap too. For a totally different reason... (operator error )
Old Nov 10, 2003, 05:26 PM
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Sal,
Ugly sight!

Is that rectangle on the bottom of the fuze behind where the wing used to be an opening you made? Cooling?

Dave
Old Nov 10, 2003, 06:19 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Sal,
I think its rebuildable! (okay sick joke..) but seriously give Bill a shout and I bet he'll hook you up...

What happened?

Scott
Old Nov 10, 2003, 07:43 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Dave,
The opening was made to repair it when someone picked it up and crushed the corner and promptly said "Oops sorry, I had no idea it was that light". It then became a cooling exit hole.

Scott,
It was a dumb thing, actually too many mods at once. First I decided to add right thrust (and I think I inadvertently (sp?) added some upthrust), gave full throw on everything while removing dual rates (ala 40a Cap). I also moved the cg back a little. All this at once was my recipe for disaster. From the second it was airborn I was fighting to keep it straight & level, I couldn't even find the trims as I was really working the sticks. It got so far away and then lost orientation, it was doomed. Down it went...
Old Nov 10, 2003, 07:54 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
That sucks Sal! Any chance that the fuse could be pieced back together? That and a wing kit and you're good as new!

Scott
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:07 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Scott,

It's a total loss. It'd be easier to start over (which I'm most certainly going to do). There is no way I'd be without this plane in my hangar. I was just saying to myself the other day how "I went this flying season without balling up one of my planes". I had the Park Cap the whole season, built it last winter.