HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Jun 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
Kyosho Viper lipo size rec and 360 amp draw?

Hello all,
I have found quite a bit of info from people modding theyre jet stream 800s and decided id like to get my viper running for an upcoming 4th of july a friend is having near a lake for some fun. I've decided that I'd like to go lipo, as all my NiCds are dead and my hobbico 900 isnt a peak charger and isn't recommended for NIMH... ive got kinda old stuff... but I do have a nicer lipo charger for my heli. I am not sure, but I read that a 500 motor draws 25 A max? the boat has a le mans 360 motor, even tho this is a 360 motor, is it considered 500 class? I would like to keep it stock for now, as I have a speedworks and le mans 05 motors from rc trucks I had run years ago to use as backups. Im not sure what mah batt to get, i had initially thought 2S 3000mah lipo, but i am seeing guys running 5000 mah. the 3000 seemed similar size to my original nicd. Do most guys enable the brake on the esc if it has it? and im leaning towards an esc that has a lower output for reverse as the current setup can submerge the boat at full reverse! :-0 It didnt seem like the conversion would be difficult but there are alot of esc options, at first i had seen a traxxas xl5 that looked good, then i check ebay and hobbyking and I just dont know what the best fit is for my application so any advice is appreciated... note, id prefer not to add a water cooled setup as stock has no piping for this.
Car6on14 is offline Find More Posts by Car6on14
Last edited by Car6on14; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,955 Posts
Hi Carson,

Some pictures of the boat in it's current set-up would be nice.

I have modified a Viper for a friend some time ago, using a Graupner
SPEED 600 RACE 7,2 V (Best.-Nr. 6370) motor on a 34,5K prop, making the boat very quick and nimble.
As that motor ran on 7 cells NiMH (8,4V) performance on 2S Lipo won't be great.

Today I'd go for a SPEED 600 BB SP 9,6V running on 3S, giving you 16400 rpm on the prop, which should equal the performance on 7 cells NiMH.
http://www.graupner.de/de/products/5...0/product.aspx

As you expect some speed and duration, I'd buy at least a dosen; when you've smoked number eight, it may dawn on you that adding watercooling might be a good idea, preferably can and brushtab cooling.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:34 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Jun 2012
37 Posts
Hi,
the boat is about 24" long, 9 wide and 3" high and weighs about 2 lbs w/o battery. I ran 7.2V 6 cell batts with it, and am looking at getting an xl5 for it, not looking for crazy performance, just want to run my childhood boat again without having to buy new nicds every year. but thx for the suggestion.
Car6on14 is offline Find More Posts by Car6on14