HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:02 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. Enjoyed the ride.

Yes, it's really clear what's happening there. I think I mentioned it before, but I believe the root of the problem is an issue with the black level going way out of spec during bright scenes with this transmitter/rx combo. At least that's what I saw here with an oscilloscope and the same hardware. This causes the EE to think the signal is bad, and hence the switch.

What was your diversity sensitivity set to?

I think the affinity feature may help a lot. One other thing I want to rule out is whether we could change the value of one of the resistors on the EE to mitigate this a bit.
billpa is online now Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:15 AM
Joined Feb 2011
472 Posts
sens -> 5

FPV Burg Teck und Owen (3 min 31 sec)

just tell me what resistor and were and i will change it
V_Okto is offline Find More Posts by V_Okto
Last edited by V_Okto; Mar 08, 2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:36 AM
Schweiz, ZG, Cham
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
It is now accepable warmer here so time to go testing the alpha firmware. We tested the 10.57 Alpha FW (Eagle Eyes 1.30) today in combination with our two RC305 receivers and GoPro camera as video source. The EagleEyes diversity sensitivity was set to default (5). Unfortunately it was still switching all the time between the video signals from receivers with Helical (directed to the airplane) and Cloverleaf antenna .

I am ready to change a resistor and test the affinity feature as soon as Bill is ready on that.

Willie_k
willie_k is offline Find More Posts by willie_k
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
42 Posts
Did someone made any progress? After 10 months you should aspect that at least one person had a solution for this issue. I did try the latest betaware but even with a 'normal' cam and 3x helical it still switches back and forward. I really don't understand the major problem.
ReneNL is offline Find More Posts by ReneNL
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
All, sorry for lack of an update here. To recap, the issue (at least based on what I have seen here) is that either the transmitter or receiver (I suspect the former) is producing a video signal that goes considerably out of spec when there is a change to brighter scenes. This confuses the EE, and causes it to think that the signal is bad. When this happens, if the signal on the non-selected channel looks better, the switch occurs.

In an ideal world, since this gear shipped long after the EE started shipping, it would have been tested for compatibility, or later modified to work correctly with the EE. But we all know that's not going to happen.

Many hours have been spent attempting to work around this issue in various ways in the firmware. I know that this has reduced the switching for some, but not for all users under all conditions. Renee, when you say "betaware", do you mean our alpha software? The changes that have been made are not yet in our beta software as they are not solving the issue 100%.

willie_k, when you say it's switching a lot, do you mean every few seconds, every few minutes, or some other period? And, when it switches, is the signal on the other channel reasonably good?

The two remaining workarounds we will be trying are to a) implement an affinity setting, that will favor one channel over the other, when the signals are approximately equal, and b) experiment with changing a couple of the parts on the EE to try to further mitigate the issue.

It's been crazy here, but I'm going to try to make "b" happen this weekend. I do apologize for the delay!
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:54 PM
Schweiz, ZG, Cham
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
Hi Bill

As of my experience it was switching every few seconds, not minutes. I hope you can find a solution soon since at the Moment due to this Situation I don't use diversity at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post

willie_k, when you say it's switching a lot, do you mean every few seconds, every few minutes, or some other period? And, when it switches, is the signal on the other channel reasonably good?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Thanks, Willie_K. I hope to have some new information from weekend experimentation.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
All, after further thinking I've taken a different approach to the issue, and have what appear to be encouraging results. In early testing here, we have not been able to get it to switch inappropriately, ever, with two RC305s with various lighting conditions.

But, YMMV, so please let me know what you find. The change is in our latest "alpha" software 10.67, with EagleEyes firmware version 10.31, here.

This version also fixes an issue with button settings not saving after firmware update, which was happening in an earlier alpha version.
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
How can I change the sensitivity? Thanks for your work billpa
Pepsi is offline Find More Posts by Pepsi
Old May 02, 2013, 04:30 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
You change sensitivity in the OSD screen under Diversity settings

D
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old May 02, 2013, 01:11 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Sounds promising, thanks for the recent update billpa.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old May 03, 2013, 06:05 AM
Schweiz, ZG, Cham
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
Diversity loves only one channel

Hi Bill

Thank you very much for your work. I am actual reconfiguring my instalaltion but will load the mentioned firmware for some testing this weekend. I can probably doing this without flying since the weather is actual still terrible for this time of the year (rain, hail and stong winds).

@ReneNL: Kan jij testen? Maar het weer in NL is vermoedelijk ook niet beter.
(@ReneNL: Can you test? But the weather in NL is most likely not much better.)

Willie_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
All, after further thinking I've taken a different approach to the issue, and have what appear to be encouraging results. In early testing here, we have not been able to get it to switch inappropriately, ever, with two RC305s with various lighting conditions.

But, YMMV, so please let me know what you find. The change is in our latest "alpha" software 10.67, with EagleEyes firmware version 10.31, here.

This version also fixes an issue with button settings not saving after firmware update, which was happening in an earlier alpha version.
Old May 03, 2013, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
You change sensitivity in the OSD screen under Diversity settings

D
Thank's
Pepsi is offline Find More Posts by Pepsi
Old May 22, 2013, 05:31 PM
Schweiz, ZG, Cham
Joined May 2008
17 Posts
Hi Bill

Probably you are asking why the European guys are not resonding. It's all and only due to the terrible bad weather this spring, specially at the weekends. The next days even snow is expected again! So no flight tests what will give the best feedback but only a small ground test. I finalized my new antenna tracker hardware and tested a little bit with the alpha software 10.67 (EagleEyes firmware version 10.31). It looks very promissing! But as mentioned, no flight tests under this weather conditions now. Sorry. As soon as the weather is better at the weekends I will go testing again with my son as pilot (so I can check what the Eagle Eyes is doing).

Maybe Dion in Pretoria SA did some more testing?

Regards from a cold and very wet Switzerland

Willie
Old May 22, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Willie,

Ah, that explains it. I was wondering why we haven't seen any results posted. Look forward to some good weather and good findings!
Site Sponsor