HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Discussion
Newbie alert, Parts required for making toy boat RC

Hi all, I want to change a toy boat into an RC boat. I am familiar with most everything I need and have most of the stuff from other RC cars and trucks I have. But when it comes to the transom boat parts I'm not so sure. Mainly I want to know how to stop the water from getting into the hull where the prop shaft exits. I read about stuffing box's and found a kit online at "http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=DUM2362". It's a DUMAS repair kit I guess. It seems to have most of what I need I believe. But I'm just wondering how this stuffing box works. Do I just take the shaft out of the tube/stuffing box, put some grease or oil on it and then put it back inside the tube again. Then ofcourse the outside of the tube is sealed to the transom, the prop is free to spin inside the tube. Is that it? There are no other seals in the tube/stuffing box anywhere? Is there a better kit you would recommend?

Thanks,
Richard
rnorman3 is offline Find More Posts by rnorman3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,853 Posts
Yes, Prop Shaft Tube = Stuffing Box.
Generally, we rely on close fitting bearings and water resistant/repellent lube plus possibly thrust washers for the prop to push against and help the seal. Lots of varying opinions as to what the best lube for the job is. Obviously, the join between the outside of the tube and the hull needs to be waterproof as well. If you browse through enough posts you will also find lots of advise regarding how to lock the prop onto the shaft so it won't unwind itself.
The kit you mention would probably be OK, but you would likely have a lot of spares left over, and the prices seem a tad high, but again, I am used to dealing direct with manufacturers here in the UK. I'm probably a bit spoilt.
Without knowing the size and type of boat, it is difficult to be specific, but Graupner do combo sets with a shaft, gearbox (so no coupler needed) and prop suitable for the motor, in various sizes.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:26 AM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
you pretty much got it. as for the sophisitfication of the design of the stuffing tube and seals? that all depends on how sophisticated you need it to be. But, in general, its a outer tube that is a little "ballooned" in the middle, tapering on both ends to meet with the shaft. and the grease in side that ballooned section lubes the shaft, and repels water from trying to wick up through the tube and shaft combo.

with that in mind, if you are handy with soldering or light brazing, you can easily make one to suit your needs using some threaded rod and brass tubing

the threaded rod, not to be confused with all thread, will be your prop shaft, and the brass tubing will be two small pieces that slide tight over the shaft, and the piece for the boddy of the tube will be the next size up from the end pieces.
sand the end pieces where they will make contact with the outer tube. apply a little plumbers flux, slide the end pieces into the outer tube, and with a pen torch and plumbers solder "sweat" the pieces together.

viola! home made stuffing tube and prop shaft!
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Good Stuff,Thanks mfr02

Thanks for the info. I never thought of that, without a thrust bearing the prop would rest either against the tube or put axial force on the motor shaft which might also not be good.

Question though, in the kit you seen, would that have any sort of bearing or seal already inside that tube? Or is it just a plain tube.

Thanks,
RN
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
the threaded rod, not to be confused with all thread, will be your prop shaft, and the brass tubing will be two small pieces that slide tight over the shaft, and the piece for the boddy of the tube will be the next size up from the end pieces.sand the end pieces where they will make contact with the outer tube. apply a little plumbers flux, slide the end pieces into the outer tube, and with a pen torch and plumbers solder "sweat" the pieces together. viola! home made stuffing tube and prop shaft!

Thanks bgnome, this is also great info. I was a little confused at first but I figured what your saying is that the next size up tubing will act as the grease reservoir for the stuffing box. That's awsome, I'm going to forget buying the kit and just buy the parts locally and make the stuffing box. I'll come up with some sort of thrust stop perhaps a washer soldered to the shaft just behind the prop. I'll be doing this with my 9 year old son so it'll be great fun!

Richard
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:53 AM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
yep, the end bits are flush to the shaft, and and the outer tube is flush to the end bits.

just make sure to get a threaded rod with the threads that fit the prop you want, then work up from there.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,161 Posts
This thread is usually useful for the home built Stuffing Tube...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437771

Unfortunately, Towboat Joe's site is and his instructions are no longer online.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:47 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
I just tried here:

http://towboatjoe.tripod.com/shafts.htm

and it came right up for me.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,161 Posts
Someone else must have ghosted the pages, as
Towboat Joes original website was towboatjoe.com

Good to know someone was thinking ahead and re-upped them on a free host page like Tripod.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:10 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,853 Posts
The shop-bought shafts do have bearings - some of the small cheap ones the entire outer is the bearing - not a good arrangement. If making your own, in an ideal world, the bearings would be something softer than the shaft, but in the real world, dissimilar metals in water set up electrolytic corrosion. Not a big problem if you remember to strip it, clean and lube regularly to prevent it welding itself solid. (Been there, had the tattoo ironed on) For my small, low performance ones, I use plastic tubing as bearings.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02