HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:44 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Discussion
Prop upgrade

Now that I am using my Smit Nederland to haul my logging barge, I noticed that it takes its time to get some speed on when the barge is loaded with logs. (especially on a windy day). So, purchased a couple of 50mm left and right 4 blade props. Fit very nicely into the kortz nozzles. The original kit came with 45mm 3 blade props. Don't think there will be any overheating problem with the motors, as I ran all day hauling the loaded barge and they were not even warm to the touch. Am using an Mtroniks viper 40 marine esc, so should have no problems there. Eager to get them all out on the pond.
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
877 Posts
Nice fit... If they were just one RCH bigger, you would have been out of luck.
Steve Bad is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bad
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,081 Posts
Try using Kort Nozzle props, with about .045''-.060'' blade tip, to nozzle, clearance. Just remember, the barge does NOT, have brakes!! Have fun. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:19 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,922 Posts
If the original props were converting maximum motor power to moving water at max efficiency, it is quite possible that bigger props would just increase the load on the motors. If there is no more power available from the motor, there is no more to put into the props. The loaded barges do represent an increased load, so slower acceleration than when unloaded should be expected, whatever the props are doing.
Agreed about the proper square ended one for use with Korts, though.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:33 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,082 Posts
Something like this...
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:44 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
Something like this...
Yep, those are what I run on my nozzle boats; pick a high rpm motor, gear the heck out of it and put as much blade area as possible in the nozzle, if you can see sunshine, you don't have enough wheel...

If you want to avoid the expense of the Prop Shop kort props, just buy some Rivabo wheels that are a 1/4" larger than the ID of the nozzle and mill the tips off square to match the nozzle.
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy