HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,664 Posts
Discussion
esc w/bec, sbec, ubec: what is it?

there are esc for brushed or for brushless motors.
then there are some with bec.
and others with sbec.
and some with ubec.
and also bec or sbec alone to add to escs.

could some1 bring the technical answers to this?
and then hk shows ads that have some of the data, but their specs or don't match, or don't show all the data.
i think that many of us will benefit from the input.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,899 Posts
Don't forget 'Opto' gets quoted for some ESC's.

This is one subject, (of many electrickery things), that could easily turn into a book if someone gets carried away.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:21 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
923 Posts
[QUOTE=phil alvirez;21928738]there are esc for brushed or for brushless motors.
esc, Electronic Speed Control
then there are some with bec.
bec, Battery Elimination Circuitry, was at one time called pec, plane elimination circuitry as some early one's had issues!
and others with sbec.
sbec, Switching Battery Elimination Circuitry, compared to bec which is linear, more efficient and usually a little more power. Many sbec also can be used with Higher input voltage as compared to bec.
and some with ubec.
ubec used to be (and may still be) a brand name, Ultimate BEC, it was/is a stand alone unit.
and also bec or sbec alone to add to escs.
bec, sbec & ubec all designed to provide an alternate power source to run your rcvr and servos in case the esc melts down so that you could still control your plane as it glides down to a great landing!

/QUOTE]

Regarding "battery elimnation circuitry", it was named this way since you now only needed one battery to power both the motor and rcvr/servos. Prior to this you had one battery to power the motor and another to power the rcvr/servos. There were/are exceptions of course! Back in the early 90's, Futaba offered an AM radio package that included a receiver with a built in esc and bec for use with brushed motors. I still have and use mine, it is in an AstroFlight Mini Challanger.

Michael
elecfryer is online now Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,664 Posts
great input

thank you very much. very informative.
i still have that futaba gear that you mention somewhere in 1 of my planes from the 90's, although with all the new technology i think i will never use it again.

still, hk manages to make things confusing, and some ads don't show all the data.

regards

by the way, your logo shows 'the 6p principle'. i know 3p's that i expect from readers of my threads: polite, positive and precise. but don't know the other 3.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 18, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:42 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post

still, hk manages to make things confusing, and some ads don't show all the data.

regards

by the way, your logo shows 'the 6p principle'. i know 3p's that i expect from readers of my threads: polite, positive and precise. but don't know the other 3.
Glad to help! Yes, IMHO, HK is a case of "buyer beware" as they are sometimes lacking in "quality information". I think that goes hand in hand with really low prices!

I like your 3p's!

6P Principle = Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance!
more politically correct, Proper Planning Prevents Pretty Poor Performance!

Have a great day! Michael
elecfryer is online now Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,664 Posts
room for good stuff

i think we all could have enough room for all the good things that we need and use if we get rid of all that we have purchased from hk that did not raise to expectations or lacked enough data.
not complaining, just getting philosophical...