HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:41 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,186 Posts
that was my lazyhawk it has a 5mm spar and has a span of 1700mm this next video has a 1930mm span and spars are 6mm and are two pieces joined 6mm and three and i hand built it out of cf

hand built ornithopter maiden flight (2 min 3 sec)

hope you like
regards Brian
therealthing691 is online now Find More Posts by therealthing691
Last edited by therealthing691; Aug 06, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:05 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealthing691 View Post
that has 5mm and has a span of 1700mm and is a sk lazyhawk this next video has a 1930mm span and spars are 6mm and are two pieces joined 6mm and three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdXP_...4&feature=plcp

hope you like
regards Brian
Awesome,great flying vid.
best regards
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2004
317 Posts
Wow!
Stupendous!
Raj Quest is offline Find More Posts by Raj Quest
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:12 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Very impressive, looks like i need to pop over and get a few lessons..

Mike..
Snetzka is offline Find More Posts by Snetzka
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:34 PM
Australia, SA, Henley Beach
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
Hi Yovio,

I just ordered one of your glide controllers + ESC for my Kinkade Lazy Hawk. I love this bird, but getting it to glide is a challenge. The standard mechanism only engages occasionally in the flat glide position and I usually lose too much height trying to avoid pigeon glide.

On advice from this forum I bought a Castle Creations ESC, and by using hard brake it is possible to nudge the wings into a good position, but you still lose height trying. The worst risk of this method is landing, because the wings always lock when you cut the throttle and if they happen to be in negative dihedral at that moment, you get a sudden nose dive. I also stripped my gears not long after starting to use hard brake, and I wonder if this contributed to the strain on the gears.

The Yovio system combining a sensor and the Kinkade mechanical ratchet sounds like the best solution so far.
Ubute is offline Find More Posts by Ubute
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:17 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubute View Post
Hi Yovio,

I just ordered one of your glide controllers + ESC for my Kinkade Lazy Hawk. I love this bird, but getting it to glide is a challenge. The standard mechanism only engages occasionally in the flat glide position and I usually lose too much height trying to avoid pigeon glide.

On advice from this forum I bought a Castle Creations ESC, and by using hard brake it is possible to nudge the wings into a good position, but you still lose height trying. The worst risk of this method is landing, because the wings always lock when you cut the throttle and if they happen to be in negative dihedral at that moment, you get a sudden nose dive. I also stripped my gears not long after starting to use hard brake, and I wonder if this contributed to the strain on the gears.

The Yovio system combining a sensor and the Kinkade mechanical ratchet sounds like the best solution so far.
I would say it is great idea the glide lock as for the gears i would change the pinion wire to as they both wear.Imo wear on the gears is from rough landings mostly and dirt/mud .
My lazy hawk will be getting its third set of main gears soon but hey its done lots of hours cheers Brian

PS i new you would love the lazy hawk ubute there a great bird
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:07 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwei1950 View Post
Awesome,great flying vid.
best regards
Sam
thank you sam
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:17 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,186 Posts
Yovio system has a hard brake as well but idont think that is the problem with the gears i have used a hard brake esc on my park hawk it nearly three years old and has done hundreds of hours air time and i have only replaced the the two cranking gears once beleive it or not . rough landings jolt the gears especially if the wings clip or hit the ground .The lazy hawk being a bigger bird it has a lot more forces acting against the gears cheers Brian
the yovio system works great i think
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubute View Post
Hi Yovio,

Hi Andrew,

I'll send the Glide Controller today.

Cheers,

Yovi
yovio is offline Find More Posts by yovio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovio View Post
For those who wondering whether we deliver the bird...

This one will fly to Texas this Monday, I received the request last Saturday.
This is my bird . It arrived some time last month but I took a while to get it flying. At first I had some radio problems, then I snapped a wing rod early on, but today I had some great flights!

I placed an order with Kinkade back in January and after 6 months of waiting found out about sgdrone's birds which arrived very quickly. Sorry Kinkade!

It looks amazing and flies quite well.

The only complaint I have so far is that the tips of the wings are held together with some adhesive velcro that peels off pretty easily. I can't think of any reason I shouldn't be able to just reinforce the tips with something durable and just sew them in place. It should be easy enough to feed replacement wing rods in from the inside. Perhaps it's good to leave the velcro so it can open when you're not using the bird and avoid stretching out the wings over time?

Thank you Yovio!
newllama is offline Find More Posts by newllama
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Good News, I manage to work out additional discount for combo purchase of Ornithopter and the Glide Controller. Initially the discount is S$20, I manage to increase the discount become S$55. So total price will be S$ 560.

This will make the combo price almost the same like launching price which was S$ 550.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
rungun
United States
Joined Nov 2007
5 Posts
Sean

You cannot be really complaining because you almost never deliver....
rungun is offline Find More Posts by rungun
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:20 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Hello,

I really like your ornithopter Bird!
I would like to sell it in the Czech Republic! create a website for selling ornithopter Bird.

I have many years of modeler.

It would be a good business in the Czech Republic!

Please email me how much is transported to the Czech Republic.
What kind of discount can you give the ornithopter Bird?

I need to send a sample demonstration and test what would be the price?

Thank you and I look forward to your cooperation!

Thomas

Brno
Czech republic
www.trv-kocab.cz
Tomas Kocab is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Kocab
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:18 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Hi Yovio,

I have a need for a glide lock that can lock in one of two positions, selectable by a spare switched channel on my TX. The two magnets would be located on different main gears.

My questions are :-

1. Can the current design be modified to accept a second sensor i/p and Rx channel.?
2. Is this something (future version) you might be planning to stock / sell.?

Failing positive responses to the above questions, can you either tell me the part number of the sensor used as the pick up (so i can purchase one locally and modify the glide controller myself), or can you sell me just a pick-up sensor / magnet.

Also can you post the instruction sheet for the ESC used in the Glide Controller, i have one that might need tweeking...

Thanks..

Mike..
Snetzka is offline Find More Posts by Snetzka
Last edited by Snetzka; Aug 22, 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Damn spelling..
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snetzka View Post
Hi Yovio,

I have a need for a glide lock that can lock in one of two positions, selectable by a spare switched channel on my TX. The two magnets would be located on different main gears.

My questions are :-

1. Can the current design be modified to accept a second sensor i/p and Rx channel.?
2. Is this something (future version) you might be planning to stock / sell.?

Failing positive responses to the above questions, can you either tell me the part number of the sensor used as the pick up (so i can purchase one locally and modify the glide controller myself), or can you sell me just a pick-up sensor / magnet.

Also can you post the instruction sheet for the ESC used in the Glide Controller, i have one that might need tweeking...

Thanks..

Mike..
Hi Mike,

This is doable with current design, I just need to add 1 more connection to spare channel and 1 more sensor connection. Of course there will be firmware changes.

I'm not really sure how this fit with existing Ornithopters (SK or Protoseni), so this will only available upon request.

I'll write more in PM.

Regards,

Yovi