SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull10 View Post
Thanks Wayne,

I was under impression that Protoseni's bird do not use ratchet at all and rely only on "RC car type parking brake function" in some ESC.

Thanks again for the clarification!
Hi Otto,

Yes, I'm using the ESC with hard brake to make sure the wing stop in precise position, without this brake the wing won't stop preciselly. But after the wing stop, the ESC will release the brake.

Cheers,

Yovi
yovio is offline Find More Posts by yovio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwayneholt View Post
Hello Otto,

I'm using the glide controller + "selected ESC" supplied by Yovi + Kinkade's ratchet assembly. This is how Yovi instructed me to use it. The ESC he supplies will not hold the motor adequately against the backdriving torques involved when gliding. There has to be a mechanical lock in place.

Hope that helps.

Wayne
Just one thing Wayne just be careful when you have a low battery as some times i have found that it will not unlock the rachet when the battery is low .Also i have found you can achieve this with just a hard brake option on your esc.But hey with the glide controller it would be a lot more precise and no hit and miss happy flapping to all cheers Brian
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
This will fly to Florida tomorrow

Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Please Note : Starting 1st August 2012, The Ornithopter price will be S$530 SGD.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovio View Post
Please Note : Starting 1st August 2012, The Ornithopter price will be S$530 SGD.
We will have to wait for the "Black Friday". Yovi, you forgot to rise the price of the SGLDAB !
seagull10 is offline Find More Posts by seagull10
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Mar 2011
107 Posts
Hmmm..... Lets see... Original American made SK Slow Hawk $309 + $14 shipping = $323.
Less robust copy from Singapore $422 + $40 shipping = $462 and another $85 if you want the Glide doohicky = $547!
Wow! Outsourcing doesn't seem to be working too well
Bwattie 2 is offline Find More Posts by Bwattie 2
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Too much!
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:29 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,140 Posts
is very dear with conrods that will wear out quick IMO
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,827 Posts
subscribed
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:21 AM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Jan 2007
39 Posts
Prootoseni Bird arrived

I ordered the bird on July 14 and it was delivered August 1. Yovi's communication was excellent and I was kept well informed of progress. The Bird was carefully packaged and arrived in excellent condition.

I'm very impressed with the quality of construction. It is really a work of art. I ordered it with the Glide Lock option which came pre-installed except for the hall effect magnet. Here's what came in the package.
keithm is offline Find More Posts by keithm
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Jan 2007
39 Posts
Lower ball link wear

One of my concerns when ordering the bird were Brian's comments about the lower ball link on the connecting rod being a poor design because the shaft spun within the ball link which would cause a high rate of wear and likely require frequent replacement.

Now that I have the bird in hand and can carefully examine the details, I can confirm that the shaft is spun within a bearing and not within the ball link. The shaft can easily be spun with finger pressure. The ball link does not rotate. All rotational loads appear to be carried by the bearing.

Brian - have a look at the attached photo. It looks like an excellent design to me. When the connecting rods do need to be changed, it looks like a very easy job. I don't believe either ball link will wear out quickly. Have I missed something?
keithm is offline Find More Posts by keithm
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:46 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,140 Posts
time will tell show me a video of the ball link when its rotating i think it will still rotate in the plastic if it does it will wear and need replacing regular IMO but lets see as for the rest of his bird it looks great i built my own bird with a 1930mm span out of CF and its great as its stronger and lighter than g10 what thickness is the frame i used 1.5mm.
The lighter the better with ornithopters

would love to see some flight video as well when you have it up and running
cheers Brian
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:25 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,838 Posts
I gots myself one of these birds. Requested that it didn't come pre-built, since I like to build my things up and see what issues may crop up.

Maidened it on 22 July 2012. Tried a Turnigy nanotech 1300 mah 2S, and a Zippy 1300 mah 2S. The Zippy is lighter.

It flew quite gently with both batteries, but it is slightly heavy IMO. Thinking about removing some CF from the tail end so I can move the battery further back.

Here's a vid! Real birds came to investigate, and there was a close call.

Ornithopter maiden with curious birds, 22 July 2012 (2 min 19 sec)
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:21 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
I gots myself one of these birds. Requested that it didn't come pre-built, since I like to build my things up and see what issues may crop up.

Maidened it on 22 July 2012. Tried a Turnigy nanotech 1300 mah 2S, and a Zippy 1300 mah 2S. The Zippy is lighter.

It flew quite gently with both batteries, but it is slightly heavy IMO. Thinking about removing some CF from the tail end so I can move the battery further back.

Here's a vid! Real birds came to investigate, and there was a close call.

Ornithopter maiden with curious birds, 22 July 2012 (2 min 19 sec)
here a clip also with birds its good fun .
Iagree the key is lighter is better unless you are flying with stronger wind IMO

ornithoper flying with other birds (6 min 51 sec)
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Aug 2004
317 Posts
Brian,
That's one huge bird....

What size CF did you use for the spar? 6mm solid rod?

3mm solid CF rod should be good enough for 36" span?
and 4mm solid CF rod for upto 48" span?
Raj Quest is offline Find More Posts by Raj Quest