HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:48 AM
Australia, SA, Henley Beach
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
Protoseni glide controller in my Lazy Hawk

Today I had my first flight with the Protoseni glide controller in my Lazy Hawk. It works a treat, not a pigeon in sight! It was only a short flight because it was very windy, but I got flat glide every time. Thank you Yovi and Protoseni. Kinkade made a great bird in the Lazy Hawk and youíve now fixed its only real weakness, the total frustration of making it reliably glide. Hereís a couple of pictures of my setup.
The funny thing is, while I was flying around with guaranteed flat glide any time I wanted it, I found myself missing pigeon glide. How ungrateful can you be! But what if I do want pigeon glide? It is useful sometimes, for rapid descent or the final approach to a catch. And then I thought, wouldnít it be nice to have the choice on a switch? I came to the RCGroup to report on my success with the glide controller, and I find Snetzka has already requested a switchable version, and itís in the pipeline! These SDDrone guys really are on the ball. Iím very interested in upgrading mine, if thatís possible?
Ubute is offline Find More Posts by Ubute
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
On a related topicÖ The reason I decided to upgrade my Lazy Hawk with the glide controller was because I thought I had to replace the gears anyway. I had a sudden incident, fortunately near the ground, when the wings went out of sync. At first glance I thought the gear shaft had bent or broken, because the gears had gone out of alignment. You can see how much in the picture. It turned out that the screw holding on the gear had backed out! I screwed it in again (with more loctite) and all seems okay. The gearís teeth are a bit ragged but seem to mesh. I think Iíll get a new set, but the birdís flying again so far.

This is the first time Iíve dismantled the gears, and while I was looking for a suitable mounting point for the glide controller sensor, I came across what appears to be a redundant feature on the bird. If there are any Lazy Hawk owners reading this - realthing, are you there? - does your bird have the aluminium spacer, held in with a machine bolt, visible in the picture next to the main gear, and on the other side of the pinion to the ratchet pawl? Thereís a matching one on the other side, but they donít seem to connect to anything or do anything. Seanís birds do seem to have individual quirks, despite being ďthe same modelĒ, but Iím curious about the function of this part. Are you there, Sean, to answer this?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
mine does but i think it is a redudant item or was for a spring setup glad to see you enjoying the lazy hawk
Sean should be able to enlighten us
regards brian

is to stop things EG : fingers getting caught in pinion and main gear
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Last edited by therealthing691; Aug 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
465 Posts
Brian, Have you ever experimented with lightly spring loading the ratchet to help with stopping in the glide mode? I'm getting about 2 out of 3 stops in glide mode on my SH4 which isn't too bad but thinking ahead before assembling my new Lazy Hawk. Thanks, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
Hi Brian
Nice to hear from you. I haven't flown the birds so much lately, both being broken and me being preoccupied with other flying things. The new glide controller has renewed my interest though. Hoping to get better weather tomorrow.

The Shrike is out of action with broken wing hinge bearings. Any idea where I can get replacements? Are they press fit, or do I need to replace the G10 parts as well?

Cheers, Andrew
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Guys, thank you for the feedback, i'm all ears on these. At the moment i have 3 ideas, i may run a pooling to figure out which one is the best and suit the need.

1. Use 2 position switch to enable / disable glide. The glide process triggered by low throttle same like current condition.
2. Use switch to trigger glide process, so low throttle will not trigger the glide process.
3. Have both options and selectable during programming mode, this might make programming sequence more complex and undesirable.

I will create a new pooling thread, please vote so i know which options suit your needs.

Regards,

Yovi
yovio is offline Find More Posts by yovio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:38 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubute View Post
Hi Brian
Nice to hear from you. I haven't flown the birds so much lately, both being broken and me being preoccupied with other flying things. The new glide controller has renewed my interest though. Hoping to get better weather tomorrow.

The Shrike is out of action with broken wing hinge bearings. Any idea where I can get replacements? Are they press fit, or do I need to replace the G10 parts as well?

Cheers, Andrew
there press fit Andrew and heres a link i have brought gearbox bearings from there and pinion wire have a good look as they have different quality ones at different costs
Hope it helps cheers Brian
http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/c...ings/all/pics/
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:42 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Brian, Have you ever experimented with lightly spring loading the ratchet to help with stopping in the glide mode? I'm getting about 2 out of 3 stops in glide mode on my SH4 which isn't too bad but thinking ahead before assembling my new Lazy Hawk. Thanks, Aero
i dont think so i think one of these glide locks is a goodidea but i just use a speed controller with a hard brake option. You will love your lazy hawk there much different to fly great fun but i am doing a lot of glider flying as well at the moment cheers Brian
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovio View Post
Guys, thank you for the feedback, i'm all ears on these. At the moment i have 3 ideas, i may run a pooling to figure out which one is the best and suit the need.

1. Use 2 position switch to enable / disable glide. The glide process triggered by low throttle same like current condition.
2. Use switch to trigger glide process, so low throttle will not trigger the glide process.
3. Have both options and selectable during programming mode, this might make programming sequence more complex and undesirable.

I will create a new pooling thread, please vote so i know which options suit your needs.

Regards,

Yovi
I was actually thinking of having two magnets and sensors, one on each gear. One could be set for flat glide and one for pigeon glide, with a switch to toggle between them. Flip the switch and it will stop on whichever one you want. A separate switch could disable the glide controller completely.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
465 Posts
Thanks Brian, Guessing you use the ratchets in conjunction with your hard brake ESC to get the glide and not just the ESC...? Best, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubute View Post
I was actually thinking of having two magnets and sensors, one on each gear. One could be set for flat glide and one for pigeon glide, with a switch to toggle between them. Flip the switch and it will stop on whichever one you want. A separate switch could disable the glide controller completely.
That was exactly my request/requirement.. but if you insist on providing the ability for disabling the glide lock for some reason you could always create the program to do the following and capture all your needs in one go.

If PW = Servo pulse width from Aux channel..

If PW> 1.7ms then Glide angle 1
or
If PW< 1.3ms then Glide angle 2
else
Glide lock OFF.

That way if you have a two way switch you can configure for either glide angle, or use a three way switch (middle is set to 1.5ms or mid position) to include the 'off' function as well. This would also allow the end user to decide what they require and 'program' the switch on the Tx accordingly with a resistor or two...

Way forward..
Snetzka is offline Find More Posts by Snetzka
Last edited by Snetzka; Aug 26, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Clarified...
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:25 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Thanks Brian, Guessing you use the ratchets in conjunction with your hard brake ESC to get the glide and not just the ESC...? Best, Aero
you are right
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
Thanks for that, Snetzka. I'm afraid I don't know how to go about that sort of programming but I'm willing to have a go.

Are you talking about having two sensors as I described? How would you plug them in, or does this mean a hardware change to the glide controller?

Or is what you're talking about a way of making it stop at different angles?

Or maybe this is transmitter stuff?

Forgive me, my knowledge is limited.
Last edited by Ubute; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
It seems dual sensor will be the chosen upgrade.

I'll work on this, I guess I should be able to show some video in few days time

Thanks for all the input guys.
yovio is offline Find More Posts by yovio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
Hi Brian and Aeronut

I've tried using hard brake on a Castle Creations ESC, but it holds so tight the ratchets probably don't come into play at all. With practice I got better at hitting the skids close to the right moment, but usually had to nudge the wings into a more satisfactory position. They never seemed to drop back onto the rachets, though.

While this method seemed an advance over the randomness of the ratchets, I'd still lose a lot of height nudging the wings. (Actually the ratchets aren't very random, they're 90% pigeon glide!)

The Protoseni glide controller looks like being the best solution for me, especially if it becomes switchable.