HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Couple Battery Questions

Okay. so as you know li-po batteries are crazy ass expensive! so heres the deal i made my own out of li-ion cells out of a laptop battery. i bought a charger for then because a ni-mh ni-cad charger obviously wont charge li-po li-ion batteries. i got a imax b6 charger just to try. so the batteries i made worked excellent when i first made them they obviously die after awhile of use. i charged them put them in the rc car get ready to go and bam. it goes slow as if the battery was dead. im not sure whats going on here i had it set on the li-po 7.2v setting. could this be caused cuz i didnt use a cell balancer??!? ugh please help me.
iBChunkyboy is offline Find More Posts by iBChunkyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:18 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,188 Posts
It's because the batteries that you pulled from your laptop have far too high internal resistance to be useful in your application. As you draw current, voltage drop is far too great to properly power your car.

If you want your car to move, buy better batteries. I know that this is now what you wish to hear, but it's the truth...

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,273 Posts
Yep, low performance batteries designed for low draw laptop.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:58 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
Laptop batteries (and those in many other consumer goods) are designed for low current applications over extended periods. It's not really about the quality of the battery -- it's just their design. They can't supply high current, which is what your motor wants.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:40 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,753 Posts
Yeah i'd have to agree with the other advice your getting mate,but you can buy some good cheap batteries out there now if you want to look around for them,you might also want to go for a good C rating too to get more of a punch when you need it.

Here i'll leave a link so you can check them out and maybe look for what you might need.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ig=2&sortlist=
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:15 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,914 Posts
The LI-ion used in power tools are the ones you want. They are high discharge and work well in planes. Not as good as lipos but do the job. Also a little heavier than lipos for the same capacity. They will take more of a beating than lipos though.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
That and lipo is one of many types of li-ion cell. I highly doubt those laptop cells are the same voltage as a lipo. He was probably over charging them on the LiPo setting when the LiFe setting probably would have been more appropriate.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
And yeh lipos are pretty cheap now. Unless you bought surplus laptop batteries which were already past their prime I fail to see how you could spend LESS money then just buying a lipo.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:40 PM
cellularmega
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
That is right. low performance batteries designed for low draw laptop. . hope it will help you.
cellularmega is offline Find More Posts by cellularmega