HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DJO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:03 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,461 Posts
Discussion
Who Monetizes Their YouTube Videos?

Hey Everybody,

Who on here monetizes their YouTube videos? I've recently started in the past few weeks and it's pretty cool but also hard to make just $1. LOL I'm wondering if any other modelers are using the monetization feature and what are you making off of it?

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The FPV PROJECT II
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:17 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
I don't monetize my videos as I'd rather my viewers not watch ads. I don't like to wait for ads to complete.

Granted, I don't get many viewers. If I suddenly get >1000+ views a day, I might start monetizing. But for just a few cents, not worth it.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,461 Posts
Actually I'm getting quite a bit more than that now. You know, about $10 a month is $120 a year. That can get me some pretty decent stuff for R/C.

I normally put the ads that display on the bottom and not in the actual video - because those annoy me so much! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
How many watches do you get per day?
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:28 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,461 Posts
Hmm I'm not sure, I'll check my analytics page.

EDIT: I got 227.142857 (227 rounded) video views per day.

That was for last week. Every week is different. Some days I get 600 views, others I get only 50 views a day. Depends what I upload, of course, and how much. Also depends if I even monetize the videos, as some can't be monetized (they have music in them).

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DJO; Jul 02, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
I just tried to answer my own question by watching your vids - (started writing before you posted). And this is getting eerie.

One of your vids was a cardboard DLG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1664295

You have a pink foam flying wing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1673866

And you tape your servos.

AAARRGHH!!
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:39 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,461 Posts
Whoa, that's cool! LOL!

Great minds think alike!

LOL and I just figured this out - you only have to make 40 cents a day to at least get $10 a month or more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
I get about 180 views a day on average. Make $10 a month with 200+? Geez. I'd never have guessed advertising is so valuable.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:51 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,461 Posts
Well no not exactly. I also have an R/C site that I incorporated with Adwords. So YouTube gets most of the profit but that site also helps a little bit. Not as much as YouTube though. I probably get around $7 from YouTube a month and $3 from the site. I'm not sure, I haven't logged into Adsense in a long time. However I'm getting around $6 - $10 per month and this is only my second month using Adwords and YouTube monetization.

sites.google.com/site/djoproductionsrc

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Ah. Still. $7 for a message given to 200 people...
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:05 PM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,461 Posts
Yeah it's pretty decent. If I can get even $50 from it by the end of the year I'll be happy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
We monitize Lunchy & the Punk,(<-season 2, season 1, really just us bashing and learning to film RC cars) mostly just hoping to cover production costs. Which, doesn't. Sometimes the hang up is hassles with YouTube. My brother writes an original score for each one, and we're guessing that for some reason that hangs up the monitization. So a few of the videos are 'on hold' during their first week when they get their most views in a short time.

We even included video of my brother playing for our Fourth of July Special and still had to file a dispute on a copyright claim because someone used a distorted guitar sample to play the "Star Spangled Banner" and I guess the program that tries to recognize these things thought they were the same even though they were not even close.

I'm not exactly sure how many hits we get per day (it's my brother's account, I direct the videos but they're his RCs) but we haven't made the $100 pay out mark yet, which I think would cover maybe some of the lunches (HA!) my brother has bought (four person crew).

We've been monetizing since January.
The Punk is offline Find More Posts by The Punk
Last edited by The Punk; Jul 04, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:06 AM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,461 Posts
Sounds cool! However about the music - you can always download Royalty-Free music

http://beatsroyaltyfree.com/

And then just hit the monetization button while the video is uploading and it'll be monetized. Just give credit for the music in the description and you're good.

Get more hits and video views by posting those videos on your blog here on RC Groups dude! Those blogs easily hit 500 views and people are interested about it, so they'll watch the videos!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Sounds cool! However about the music - you can always download Royalty-Free music

http://beatsroyaltyfree.com/

And then just hit the monetization button while the video is uploading and it'll be monetized. Just give credit for the music in the description and you're good.

Get more hits and video views by posting those videos on your blog here on RC Groups dude! Those blogs easily hit 500 views and people are interested about it, so they'll watch the videos!

Dan
Well, my brother is a professional musician who is trying to transition into scoring, so part of the purpose of us doing these videos is to exercise his scoring, so we really want to use his own compositions. Plus, it doesn't get more royalty free than doing it yourself.

I had no idea about the blogs, I'll have to check that out, thanks!
The Punk is offline Find More Posts by The Punk
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:19 AM
DJO
Dreaming...
Joined Oct 2011
3,461 Posts
Yeah that makes sense. And yup - just go to your profile and click the button to make a new blog post!

Dan
RCG Plus Member