HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:25 PM
Katy Tx
Joined Nov 2007
212 Posts
I used to fly an MScomposit Bulldog biplane in heavy winds of 20mph+ (estimated). We had storms coming in one afternoon, and everyone else was scared to throw anything up in that kind of wind. The Bulldog handled it very nicely. Gusts were strong enough to flip the plane for a sideways loop, but it was always easy to recover. Basically, the entire flight was just going from forced recovery to forced recovery. It was a blast, and got it back undamaged several times.

I haven't found another plane that handles wind as gracefully since. Not that I've tried a million though.

I still throw my SlowFlyObjects up in high winds without a moment's hesitation. I think it comes down to how familiar you are with the plane, and your ability to remain calm and keep regaining control whenever a gust throws the plane for an unexpected maneuver.
kelstertx is offline Find More Posts by kelstertx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:12 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Many of my parkflyers will fly in 20mph wind and are light and not way over powered.
They have these things in common;
Better than 1 to 1 thrust ratio.
Over sized control surfaces with lots of throw.
Ailerons.
Semi-symmetrical or symmetrical airfoils.
Profile of low drag airframes.
That being said, I built a 23", 3oz, EPP ToonJet, FlyingWing type, profile fuselage, puller prop and it flys very well in more wind than I thought it would.
I called the local airport weather report for the wind speed, and then went to the field next to it to fly the ToonJet. The wind was reported at 12mph gusting to 16mph.
The ToonJet flew just fine and handled the gusts barely. It could use just a bit more power, but it had plenty of stability and control.
I also flew a 6oz 28", EPP Ultimate Bipe and it flew even better.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:28 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
my hz sc does great
I greatly disagree.

Though it can be flown in high wind by a good pilot, any wind over 10mph or so is very noticeable with the cub.

As said above, wings can fly in winds good because they dont have much surface area to be blown around by. If you slow down for a landing, you may noticed some hopping up and down when heading into the wind, but much less than a plane like a supercub, and they are less susceptible to crosswinds.

I maidened my dollar tree delta in 12mpg winds and it did just fine. I would not hesitate to fly in 15mph winds with it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729627
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:36 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
f-27 q
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,013 Posts
Why would you greatly disagree with cmdl? I have flown my HZ Super Cub in 15-20 mph winds with no problems. I have flown my HZ Firebird Stratos in those winds, last weekend in fact. The issue with flying in wind isn't the plane guys, it's the pilot. A warbird is a good plane to fly in the wind. I flew my Parkzone T-28 Trojan in windy conditions this past Saturday and also my HZ Super Cub, Firebird Stratos and Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair. Yes, the wind is noticeable on the HZ Super Cub, but so what, It flies fine. You just have to know HOW to fly in wind is all. Pilots who don't fly in moderate wind are just plain scared to. Try it, you may like it.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:40 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
f-27 q
+1 on that. It's a little ripper
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
kent, uk
Joined Jun 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeBeeGeeBee View Post
+1 on that. It's a little ripper
+1 for me too nothing seems to bother the stryker
glen_j is offline Find More Posts by glen_j
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:25 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,220 Posts
Just flew my PZ T-28 in some pretty good winds up here in the Mojave...

Plenty of power, wind wasn't an issue, and in fact it climbed out nicely into the wind at about 60% throttle Even though not exactly "slippery", the barrel shaped trainer sliced through the air without much fuss...

It's fun floating it in for landings like it's a Super Cub !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:33 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor03 View Post
What is the best elerctric plane to fly in wind of 16mph and up.
One that goes at least 17mph.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:51 PM
Williamsburg, Va, USA
Joined Jul 2001
312 Posts
One more vote for the SuperFly!

One of my favorite days flying had about 25 mph winds and I was doing continuous rolls with no forward movement. A big plus of the SuperFly is that in normally bounces since it is EPP. If you do damage it, then you normally have a 6 minute repair, five minutes for the hot glue gun to heat up and then 1 minute to do the repair.
jb753 is offline Find More Posts by jb753
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:27 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
989 Posts
I have 5 students flying the " Apprentice " and I don't let the wind ground them. There is so much to learn when flying in the wind that it's a shame to waste the time. Yes it is dangerous for the plane but if done right you can learn a lot.
In fact we had high winds today 20 + with gust about 25 or so and all my students flew and had a ball doing it. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,869 Posts
Elevon SUPER EASY

Sailor03 ,

I received an Email from you asking about an elevon SE . I responded but got a message that my response could not be sent , so I'm responding here .

I have not built an elevon SE , but Nightstone ( also lives in a windy area ) here on RCG has - here's the link .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22424564 I'm sure Nightstone will be glad to help you with dimensions , etc.

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:35 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
the Ultra Micro p-51 does pretty good in the wind. the problem i had was the pitch speed was limiting me as the plane was WOT and not going anywhere.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
the Ultra Micro p-51 does pretty good in the wind. the problem i had was the pitch speed was limiting me as the plane was WOT and not going anywhere.
Really?
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
yeah, it was fun. in a nice big park, i was fliying for a long time. eventually the wind pushed me too close to the trees and i pulled a stupid and did not land. had to get it back that evening.

there was a nice sheltered area were you could dive into and then make a nice windless landing.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull