SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Discussion
FPV - Self Contained

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know of a way to set up FPV system that does NOT require the trainer port? Similar to the Fatshark teleporter system?.

I want to set up my joystick and an FPV system simultaneously and I'm finding very little information on this.

Thanks!
sykmethodz is offline Find More Posts by sykmethodz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:29 PM
The FPV Ninja
Brisbane, South East QLD
Joined Dec 2008
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykmethodz View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anybody know of a way to set up FPV system that does NOT require the trainer port? Similar to the Fatshark teleporter system?.

I want to set up my joystick and an FPV system simultaneously and I'm finding very little information on this.

Thanks!

Are you currently using your trainer port for uhf?

I have the use of my trainer port on my Futaba 7c due to installing the uhf inside the case and joining some wires. That may be an option for you also. Otherwise another more tech savvy person on this forum may be able to give you some better guidance.
Bindle83 is offline Find More Posts by Bindle83
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
Yeah - same. I am using TSLRS with a 9C. I just soldered the wires for the transmitter module straight to the pins where a standard module would normally go. Then I gooped a bunch of hot glue on top of it all. I also cut the voltage regulator out and soldered a bit of wire in its place.
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Fpv

Actually I'm not using the trainer port at all right now. I'm planning to get a set of fat shark dominators and they will require the use of the trainer port for head tracking.. and in order to use the AEOS FPV SYSTEM 1.5 for my joystick i also need the trainer port to plug in my joy stick.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,902 Posts
You can use this system directly connected to a UHF tx. It's for joystick only.
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=486
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:48 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Skymethodz - No offence intended but your first post does not make any sense, this is how it should read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykmethodz View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anybody know of a way to set up a head tracking system that does NOT require the trainer port? Similar to the Fatshark teleporter system?.

I want to set up my joystick and the head tracking system simultaneously and I'm finding very little information on this.

Thanks!
Its not the FPV system that uses the trainer port it is the head tracking.

and sorry I cant help with an answer but i hope i've helped you to explain your situation a bit better so that others can help.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:16 AM
The Netherlands, OV, Oldenzaal
Joined Jul 2010
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
Skymethodz - No offence intended but your first post does not make any sense, this is how it should read.

Its not the FPV system that uses the trainer port it is the head tracking.

and sorry I cant help with an answer but i hope i've helped you to explain your situation a bit better so that others can help.
Good answer.

@Skymethodz:

Look at the following picture maybe it might help you with your problem.

By the way this is backside of a Futaba square plug.
D-OCHO is offline Find More Posts by D-OCHO
Last edited by D-OCHO; Jun 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Firstly I'm sorry for the confusion, as I'm sure you all can tell I'm VERY new to FPV. Thank you guys so far for all the help I'm starting to understand a bit more. This sounds like a Mod/DIY job right? I'm fine with that but I don't have experience doing this with RC Equipment though. Slightly related - I was a computer tech for about 10 years so this doesn't scare me a bit but I don't know anything about it.

I am purchasing a ton of new hardware for this set up so I am totally open to any suggestions you guys might have!. Some of the hardware includes...

1) Transmitter - Futaba?
2) New FPV set up - Fatshark Dominator head set w/ MIG head tracking or similar
3) Pan/Tilt mount and Camera
4) Joystick - Logitec G940 ( flight stick and throttle)

The goal is to set up my joystick and throttle system (logitech G940) for flight control and throttle as well as a Head tracking system to be used simultaneously for FPV flight. Unfortunately the hardware I am finding requires that both of these use the same trainer port(see links below).

Thanks a lot for the link D-OCHO! - Am I right in thinking you are suggesting I would have to mod the trainer cable or get a male Futaba square adapter and make the connections manually between the joystick and head tracking pins? if so, would there be any issues with software or recognizing the hardware attached?( I would associate this with driver issues)

What ism having trouble with is figuring out is... what hardware I need for this to work with both the joystick and throttle as well as the head tracking simultaneously while in flight

Any links one my have to tutorials or websites that have more detailed information about how to mod / configure this would be REAAALLY appriciated.

Hardware I found
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the joystick communication - requires trainer port
http://www.aeorc.com/english/?product-324.html

For FPV - requires trainer port.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PV_System.html

P.S. I KNOW I'M A NOOOOB! :/ I hope you guys have the patients to help a guy out. Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,845 Posts
well better read on the reviews on that 'FPV system 1.5' product for joysticks. I heard it can be a real pita to find compatible components and set up to run reliably. It also says it may work with certain head tracking unit(s). But be advised you should find someone on RCG with a working system and just copy their setup. Most of these will not work with just any joystick.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Your definitely right, I read the same and watched a video or 2 about the Aero fpv system as well. As well. my hope was to make any adjustments needed on the programmable transmitter to overcome any downfalls of the fpv system.

That being said I would MUCH prefer to copy somebody elses working design unfortunately I don't know how to find that person :/