SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
Heng Long Panther - disassembly instructions / mini guide?

Hi to all

I've got a problem with my son's Panther G, which hasn't seen tons of use, but now looks like I'm going to have to pull it apart to fix it....

1 - the BB gun no longer shoots BB pellets: It goes through the motions, and I can the sharp sound of air being expelled as it attempts to fire, as well as the recoil motion etc - but no BB pellet actually comes out. I'm guessing that either something is trapped in the airsoft unit preventing pellets from flowing into the unit to be fired, or a BB pellet is actually stuck inside somewhere. I've looked down the canon and can't see anything untoward - is this likely to be something stuck, or should I be sourcing a new airsoft unit? Finally, if it's a new airsoft unit, are they all the same? I.e. can I grab one out of a Tiger or other tank and expect it to replace the one that's failed?

2 - a horrible grinding noise from the left tracks. She runs and spins beautifully on a smooth tiled (bathroom) surface, struggles to turn on carpet, and has no hope whatsoever outside in the garden. Having researched these little buggers for the last 90 minutes or so, it looks like his will have all nylon parts (gearbox / tracks / drivewheels etc), and that the gears from the left-side gearbox have either worn heavily or are partially shredded? Sound reasonable?

I've found the excellent mini-how-to guide on stripping and upgrading the Tiger I by HoverBovver, and I would imagine that stripping the Panther G is largely the same as the Tiger I, but is this the case?

I was just hoping that someone might have done the same thing as HoverBovver for this tank - and would be hugely obliged if someone could point me in the right direction?

I'm sure that everyone on here would recommend upgrading to the metal gearbox/wheels and tracks - but they're pretty expensive and I haven't got the time to be reinforcing the inside of the chassis to cope with the extra weight and torque pressure created by the new metal parts - for now, all I want to do is replace the gearbox like for like (perhaps with a metal one if I can lay my hands on one), and have a very happy son playing with his tank, than a very sad one as I have right now!

BTW - if anyone has a HL metal gearbox for this tank that they'd like to sell - please do drop me a message!!
rjsdavis is offline Find More Posts by rjsdavis
Last edited by rjsdavis; Jun 17, 2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
First off, you should open it up and have a look. The quality control on these are almost nil, you might find an easy solution to either of those issues once you see what you are up against.

I don't know where you are located, but you can get a pair of metal gearboxes with motors for around $30 in the States.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:23 AM
RC Tank n00b
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
Hi rjsdavis
Your'e connect the procedure to open up most heng long tanks are similar

Here is a list of basic tutorials for upgrading or repairing your 1:16 Heng Long tank

http://www.ozarmour.com/store/visual-guides.html

1/ Yes, grab a replacement airsoft unit (spare)

2/ Yes, its been designed as a toy, real tanks don't spin 360 deg on the spot like that
I'd leave it stock standard if you intend on running it as a toy for enjoyment

like ausf said & not knowing where your located check out ebay for Heng Long spare parts
for example I found Plastic gearboxes for Heng Long 1/16 RC King Tiger, Jagdpanther, Panther G tanks Approximately US $3.52

Cheers for now
A N Z A C is offline Find More Posts by A N Z A C