SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
90 Posts
Question
3.5 channel?

What does 3.5 channel mean? I understand 2, 3, 4, but not the 3.5. I have heard that ".5" is used to control lights, or provide 2 speed forward and reverse, to being called a marketing term. Is there a definitive answer? Thanks.
hereathome is offline Find More Posts by hereathome
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:16 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
It is meaningful, though I suspect it has more to do with the electronic gyro.

My "3.5 channel" DH9104 actually transmits four unique channels. The fourth channel apparently controls gyro gain (Left/Right Turn knob). To call it a "4 channel" would be confusing as that term commonly means the added aileron (roll right/left) control.

There is now a full price range of 4 channel helicopters. It is pointless to buy a 3 channel single blade helicopter.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jun 17, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
You're already as close as you're going to get to a definitive answer. Just that there's another control feature besides up/dn, steer L/R, fwd/rvs.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
Head in the clouds
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
In the hope of making it a little clearer, if a heli mentions a "half" channel, it is usually something that isn't a standard control channel such as Throttle, Rudder, Aileron, Elevator, Stunt etc.

So yes, a light switch or DualRate switch (Fast Mode on 3.5ch helis) is what the half channel refers to.

Ribble made the point that they call it a half channel so as to not confuse it with a true 4ch aircraft. I agree, there'd be nothing worse than buying a 4ch heli, then finding out the 4th channel is to turn the decorative lights on/off.

Kind of like how 99% of cheapy 3ch coaxes are labelled as "3D Helicopters" when clearly they can't do 3D, but it can fly in 3 dimensions, ie, up/down, forward/back, turn around
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
90 Posts
OK - thanks for all the information. It is appreciated.
hereathome is offline Find More Posts by hereathome
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:44 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
This is what I was thinking, though I never saw it defined before. Namely, the electronic gyro is worth half a channel (or half a control), even if it is totally in the helicopter and not transmitted.

"The 3.5ch RC helicopter with gyro is similar to standard 3ch helicopter except the 3.5ch RC helicopter has a built in gyroscope that auto adjusts the yaw (left or right tail swing) movement to stabilize the flight. With the gyroscope feature it will be much easier to control your helicopter."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Syma-S10...item33777647b1
---

"Channel" likely came from Tesla and his radio control submarine. Each control was transmitted on a different radio frequency or channel.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jun 19, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:30 AM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
This is what I was thinking, though I never saw it defined before. Namely, the electronic gyro is worth half a channel (or half a control), even if it is totally in the helicopter and not transmitted.

"The 3.5ch RC helicopter with gyro is similar to standard 3ch helicopter except the 3.5ch RC helicopter has a built in gyroscope that auto adjusts the yaw (left or right tail swing) movement to stabilize the flight. With the gyroscope feature it will be much easier to control your helicopter."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Syma-S10...item33777647b1
---

"Channel" likely came from Tesla and his radio control submarine. Each control was transmitted on a different radio frequency or channel.
If it referred to the Gyro, why call it 3.5ch AND with gyro? isn't that redundant?

Pretty sure it refers to either the Dual Rates, or the ability to turn lights on/off, or a camera etc. from the TX.

Also the channels still mean the same thing, they all transmit on different radio "channels". Might only be a small number of Hertz, or fraction there of, but they are different channels. Very much like how your Wireless Router at home has 11 channels to choose from, all of which are in the 2.4GHz range.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:06 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
If it referred to the Gyro, why call it 3.5ch AND with gyro? isn't that redundant?

Pretty sure it refers to either the Dual Rates, or the ability to turn lights on/off, or a camera etc. from the TX.
For what it's worth, I'd agree with that. A 4 channel heli uses a gyro too, but it's not marketed as a 4.5 channel...surprisingly
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
203 Posts
for what it's worth, in digital meters, it was common practice to call the meter "3.5 digits", when the MSD (most significant digit) could only display 1 or 0. Maybe the ".5" channel here is just on/off, and not full analog?

Alan
KM6VV is offline Find More Posts by KM6VV
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Apr 2012
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM6VV View Post
for what it's worth, in digital meters, it was common practice to call the meter "3.5 digits", when the MSD (most significant digit) could only display 1 or 0. Maybe the ".5" channel here is just on/off, and not full analog?

Alan
You mean like Dual Rates or a Light/Camera switch? Already covered
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Mar 2012
203 Posts
Maybe, but makes a good analogy, no?
KM6VV is offline Find More Posts by KM6VV