HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:07 AM
Joined Jun 2012
14 Posts
Help!
Need some help getting my HoryzonHD -> ImmersionRC -> Fatshark FPV setup working

Hi,

I've read various FAQs and tutorials and as far as I can tell I'm doing everything right, but I can't seem to get my FPV setup working at all. This is my first time trying to set up a FPV rig.

The transmitter setup (on my VC-450 quad) is a HoryzonHD camera hooked to an ImmersionRC IRC5.8-600MW 5.8GHz 600mW Transmitter via the mini-USB to MOLEX cable. I thnk the camera is working because it records video fine and the tiny blue light comes on when the USB cable is plugged in. I think the transmitter is working, at least it gets warm quickly when I power it up. Yes, the supplied antenna is attached. The transmitter is set to channel 1 (all dips ON).

The receiver is a FatShark Dominator with a the FatShark 5.8 GHz receiver & powered by the endurance pack battery. And the supplied antenna is attached.

All of this stuff is brand new, so I assume the components work.

I power up my quad & turn on the camera. Since the USB is plugged in the LCD remains off but the tiny blue LED comes on instead. Then I power up the fatsharks and click thru the channels, but only get static.... Well, one channel I do get two black horizontal lines on the static. (??)

This is probably a n00b or RTFM problem, but I've gone over everything many times and as far as I can tell it should work. Some guesses on what might be wrong:

1. is this USB -> MOLEX cable that came with the HoryzonHD camera wired correctly?
2. is the transmitter actually set to the right channel?
3. is the FatShark 5.8 receiver compatible with the ImmersionRC 5.8 transmitter? (I read on a few forums that it was)

Bottom line, is there any way to component test the system? I need some way to at least start narrowing it down.

At this point, I'm beginning it's the transmitter.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated!!

UPDATE::: Ok, I just discovered that if I unplug the cable from the camera to the transmitter, a red SMT LED on the Tx lights up. And now I'm getting grey display on channel 1 but static on the other channels... Just guessing here, but since the camera is getting it's power directly from the flight pack, this may be causing some sort of problem??
Mile_high_club is offline Find More Posts by Mile_high_club
Last edited by Mile_high_club; Jun 17, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Suspended Account
California
Joined Aug 2010
134 Posts
You do realize that the horyzon camera draws way more current than the immersionrc transmitter can supply on its output right? You've also bothered to read the manual, or asked whether this is possible, correct?

Steve.
SteveFPV is offline Find More Posts by SteveFPV
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFPV View Post
You do realize that the horyzon camera draws way more current than the immersionrc transmitter can supply on its output right? You've also bothered to read the manual, or asked whether this is possible, correct?

Steve.
Yes, as I think I mentioned both the transmitter and camera are powered directly from the flight pack.

And as far as the RTFM suggestion goes, as far as I know there is absolutely no manual or documentation for the ImmersionRC transmitter available anywhere other than what was printed on the back of the blisterpack package. And believe me, I've looked.

But an ImmersionRC guru helped me out last night over on FPVFLAB. It turns out the +5V power wire from the transmitter needed to be cut since the camera already has power. Once I did that, it started working.
Mile_high_club is offline Find More Posts by Mile_high_club
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:48 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Evergem
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile_high_club View Post
Yes, as I think I mentioned both the transmitter and camera are powered directly from the flight pack.

And as far as the RTFM suggestion goes, as far as I know there is absolutely no manual or documentation for the ImmersionRC transmitter available anywhere other than what was printed on the back of the blisterpack package. And believe me, I've looked.

But an ImmersionRC guru helped me out last night over on FPVFLAB. It turns out the +5V power wire from the transmitter needed to be cut since the camera already has power. Once I did that, it started working.
Thanks for telling the solution.. Got the same rig except I'm using a Horyzon V2 cam
Jessestr is offline Find More Posts by Jessestr
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
760 Posts
Well, I have the same problem with my Horyzon HD cam v2 setup. Except I use a Lawmate 1.3 ghz tx. Got everything wired up correctly as far as anyone can tell, but I get no image. Just a black screen, and sometimes a little static. So, if you have any success getting your video out working I'd love to hear about it.
Hmerly is offline Find More Posts by Hmerly
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Evergem
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Hi there.

Might be caused by two problems:
You are feeding the cam with 2x 5V. The lawmate & the vreg.
Or you only feed it by the lawmate that don't deliver enough power to the camera.

HoryzonHD takes up too 600mah .. my vTx only gives 350 mAh so power it by VREG only and only send the video channel the vTx!
Jessestr is offline Find More Posts by Jessestr