HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:00 AM
3D Printer Owner
Joined Mar 2012
65 Posts
Discussion
Multicopter prop balancing PSA

I just want to inform anyone making themselves a multicopter to not forget to put a prop balancer on their parts list. It's a $20 investment that will save you a lot of time, trouble and money.

I was trying to dial in my PID settings on a universal ball joint tripod head, and after not getting the solid results I wanted and thinking the tripod head was interfering with my calibration, I moved it off the tripod and outside to the driveway. I was oblivious to the fact that I had left an insanely high value for one of the proportional PID settings in the upper teens (specifically the P value for "Level" mode in MultiWii). I throttled up in Gyro only mode a bit higher then I should have and then flicked it into level mode. It seemed alright for a second, but quickly oscillated and flipped to the ground. Lucky all I lost was prop but I can't say the same would ever happen again.

Long story short, get yourself a prop balancer and put it to good use.
Physics_Dude is offline Find More Posts by Physics_Dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:09 AM
Atomic Playboy
United States, MN, Inver Grove Heights
Joined Jun 2012
218 Posts
I bought the Turnigy prop balancer from HobbyKing. It's neat, but my cones were out of balance. I was going to try balancing each cone tonight, but I noticed that the holes are slightly off center... Which makes balancing them pointless.

Anyone know where to get replacement cones that aren't crap? I'm happy with the rest of the parts/equipment.
signal15 is offline Find More Posts by signal15