HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
569 Posts
Discussion
SBSS at Tomcat's Airshow July 7th and 8th

I haven't heard about SBSS at the airshow this year.

Their airshow poster includes gliders. However, at this point I expected to see something about their airshow posted here too.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
SBSS is invited and we're planning on participating. We're looking for pilots and you're invited. We'll have a winch set up and would like for you to join us. Bring your Radian Pro and your new glass slipper.

By the way, volunteers get treated to a Tomcat lunch.
Noel Eberhardt is offline Find More Posts by Noel Eberhardt
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Sep 2006
315 Posts
I'm going but wondering if where going to have a tug plane for airotow?

Tim
slip stream fox is offline Find More Posts by slip stream fox
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:47 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Like I said in the e-mails going around, you'll have to chain me to a very heavy object to keep me from going to Tomcats.

I'll have a handful of planes to display, like the Jon Lowe "Vengeance 2", my purple Gentle Lady (currently suffering from a cracked spar- grounded), a foamy ASK-21, and whatever else interesting I can fit in the truck. Oh, yeah, and a COMPLETED tie dyed Spirit Elite.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:29 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Slip Stream Fox, not sure about a tug. I expect we'll have a winch, a small hi-start for my "Fling", and DLG's.

Looking forward to a few more SBSSer's coming out. I have almost 1,000 pre-made FPG-9's for everyone hand out.

Noel
Noel Eberhardt is offline Find More Posts by Noel Eberhardt
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2005
55 Posts
I'm planning on being there with Kestrel and Bubble Dancer.

Bob Brown
Bob Brown is offline Find More Posts by Bob Brown
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:06 AM
TD- F3K- Slope - What to fly?
Cupertino CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,520 Posts
Looks like I can make it tomorrow as well.

Vista and DLG ready to fly

See you at 9:30.

-Dale
Dale Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Dale Thompson
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:37 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Dory and I had a fabulous weekend, even though someone wasn't listening to the weatherman, and left the furnace on for too long Saturday. Wow, it was hot! All my covering is loose. The report we had this morning was that there were 2100 people that came in through the shuttles just on Saturday. That's a lot! And yet, Noel still went home with some FPG-9s.

I can't remember what all showed up, but I can list mine, and the other gliders that I know the names of. I brought my purple Gentle Lady, tie dyed Spirit Elite, Vengance 2, Radian, foamy ASK-21 with SLS, and today I snuck in a Thorn. Noel brought his Predator and purple Fling, there was the Vista, and today there was a Radian Pro and a late arrival Alula. I cannot remember the names of what everyone else brought-- there were four or five scale ships, a Bubble Dancer, and a handful of other interesting planes.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of SBSS flying in the morning, I was too busy flying. Dory couldn't help, either, he was "field boss" both days. This morning one of the SCCMAS guys offered to stick a keychain camera on a plane or two, and passed out some Velcro pieces. Bob and I took the opportunity. I stuck some Scotch tape under the Velcro piece, so that I could remove it easily. I heard the word that, sadly, Bob's footage cut out (card got full), but mine is OK. Once I get the video, I am allowed to post it to YouTube.

Saturday we were double treated during lunch. First a full scale Cub circled thrice and landed, and after he left, the SJPD chopper repeated the performance, with a much shorter stop of about a minute. I took a video of it. It's really, really shaky, and while YouTube tried to fix it, it made some dizzying errors. Pop a Dramamine and enjoy!

Cub takes off (and I swing around to film the surprise visitor):

Cub takes off from SCCMAS field during 2012 show (1 min 16 sec)

SJPD takes off and circles:

Police helicopter visits SCCMAS Tomcats 2012 Air Show (1 min 45 sec)

By the way: Congrats to Randy for getting the pizza truck in. Woot! By the time I recovered from lunch, it was too hot for pizza, so I had some today. It was very good! The left behind about 5 cheese 'zas when they left this afternoon, and all us folks still there passed them around.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Jul 09, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,772 Posts
Thanks for the pics and videos Katie.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:12 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
The word is, there were 2,600 spectators on Sunday. Wow!