HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
R.I.P. GMRC
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Discussion
if u could do it all over again... let me know how

i can rip my 120sr around no problem (waste of money imo)

have a free fms (helisim) im good with

have access to real flight which im fine flying a cp heli on

so my question is......

how would a mcpx compare to a trex 250 to learn cp flight with?

another option im thinking is holding off for the 130x because it already comes brushless which i see a lot of ppl converting their mcpx's to...

im even open to bigger helis as well but only know brands such as blade and align (and their clones). what are other quality brands?

i also do not have a programable radio yet but will be purchasing one with the new heli. im thinking i need at least a dx8 just in case i want to fly a nitro chopper or plane with several servos. what are your thoughts on radios and what would get me in the air with anything i wanted to fly

keep in mind im kind of new to helis but not to rc and have been trying to learn as much as possible and im sorry for any newb'ness. my questions are really scatterd. bare with me
nickypoo is offline Find More Posts by nickypoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
The MCPx is extremely durable and does not need a brushless conversion unless you are doing very aggressive flying. It's much better for learriing than a Trex 250. I'm planning on buying a 130x, but I doubt it will be nearly as durable as the MCPx. A DX8 is a nice radio. There are lots better, though; JR and Futaba just to name a few of the well known brands.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
R.I.P. GMRC
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
do you think a 450 is better to learn than a 250?

from the research ive done it seems either a 450 or micro cp is best for a first CP heli but i do like the size of the 250....

im torn because i have a soft spot for the micros but i deff want to get into bigger birds like 600-700 size but i know its not realistic to learn with one of those

how much would be a top of the line 450 cost RTF with out a transmitter?

how much would a 450 clone done "right" cost with out a transmitter?

i know i want at least a dx8 so $350 plus for a transmitter and say $200 for a bnf mcpx.. @ $550 bucks plus parts, batteries and a possibly a better radio it seems for a few more bucks and i can have a bigger better setup...

but do i want that.......?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:02 PM
R.I.P. GMRC
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
i know while i learn i will tame it down a bit but i want this heli to be as good as it gets and able to do anything including 3d flying

i catch on to things quick and HATE having tons of money wasted on beginner stuff which is why my 120sr is stock (no wasted cash on mods for a heli that cant fly in the wind) and up for sale because its quite boring for me

wish i started with a mcpx but now that i have sim time and can fly FP im tempted to go bigger and better
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:44 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
I really can't help much with clones, I didn't care for the design and response. I'm a fan of Thunder Tiger and Century. I like the MCPx to learn on because it's flybarless, so it's pretty simple and it's very durable. It isn't easier to fly than a large heli, just a lot less worries about repairs. If they didn't make something like the MCPx, I'd probably learn on a TT E325 or Swift NX.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
The Trex 250 in its flybarred form is almost un-flyable for beginners in the wind. You are really asking for trouble if you intend to use it as your first CP. You really need a FBL version to make it manageable. But this is going to add to the cost. The mechanics of the 250 is quite complicated as well and is difficult to build and set up by a beginner.

Besides being much more durable, the MCPx has been plug N play construction that is very easy to repair. It should be good to learn sports flying with. For learning 3D, it will be easier if you go brushless. It is quite easy for the motor to get bogged when inverted and have tail blowouts.

I would wait for user reviews on the 130X first. For a start, it is marked at advanced fliers do that it does not even come with a RTF version. It is likely to be much less durable than the MCPx. The construction looks much more complicated as well.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
I'd agree with balr and zadaw, a 250 would be a bad idea. I think you need to think about how often you want to fly, where you're going to fly, and how deep your wallet is for repairs.

If you don't have a massive back yard that's clear of obstacles or a convenient flying field stick with the MCPX. For your first CP it's going to be all about stick time and the willingness to just go out and fly it every day. That's hard to do with a 450 if you have to drive to the field across town.

If you have friends at the field or have the kind of back yard that works for it then by all means a 450 is a good way to go if you have the wallet to support it. One good way to do it is to get a T-rex 450 super combo and a quiality 450 clone and then install all the T-Rex's electronics in the clone. Then as you crash the clone replace the broken clone parts with the real t-rex parts and by the time you have a whole t-rex 450 you'll be ready to fly the real thing too.
TucsonFlyer is online now Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Oct 2008
308 Posts
I would stick with flybarless. mcpx is good for the reasons listed, cheap repairs, slower and smaller rotor spread so it works at home inside and out. The 130x will also be a good size for home with higher head speed, brushless, and better tail rotor control, and BNF just means that you provide the transmitter, if you want to spend the money I'm sure the dx8 would be very good but at least the dx6i.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief