HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:17 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,093 Posts
If dual servos for ailerons are installed correctly the servo arm to which the control rod is attached is outboard (toward the wing tip). In this case it is NOT necessary to lable left or right on the "Y" since it does not matter how you plug them in. The ailerons will function correctly... one up and one down in the proper directions, unless of course your aileron chanel is reversed, but they will still go opposite so it is not important which side of the "Y" you use..
IF you do NOT understand how things work, find someone who can show you on an actual plane. That is the easiest way to learn. I'll bet the pull pull system is a mystery to you too.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
35 Posts
Sorry, I didn't make it clear but I'm hoping to get a Wot 4 (only available in the UK as far as I know) and I actually do understand the pull pull system, as the servo arm rotates, it pushes one control rod, pushing the control horn left or right, and the other end of the servo arm pulls on the control rod, pulling the control horn in the same direction as the other control rod was pushing it in, I THINK, the guy that posted that said there was something wrong with the diagram, but I'm still trying to work out what, and could you please correct me if I'm wrong on the pull pull system, it's only the info I've managed to get from the diagram, and there's supposed to be something wrong with it so.... I'm going to Germany for a week for a school trip and I have a seven hour coach journey so I'll have plenty of time to try and work out the 'issue'
absandams is offline Find More Posts by absandams
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Fokker nailed this one - It's a pull-pull system - not a push-push system. It does not generate a push force because the control "rod" is actually a flexible control cable. So it pulls left leaving a bit of slack on the right or pulls right leaving a bit of slack on the left - no push involved.
SeamusG is offline Find More Posts by SeamusG
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Feb 2012
35 Posts
Oh I see! I wasn't too far off, thanks for all of the replies!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
And solid conteol rodds are the same except they push one way and pull the other. For example with the aileron scenario explained before
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
35 Posts
Just another quick question, what item do the purple boxes on the single aileron servo diagram that SeamusG provided represent? A servo without power would work, if you had two more and turned them on their side but I don't think that is what's used. However I do understand how they would work like that, but I have a feeling that something cheaper and more efficient is used.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Some images from the LT40 manual. The 3rd image is from a Dubro catalog. The bit that threads over the threaded horn.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:00 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by absandams View Post
Just another quick question, what item do the purple boxes on the single aileron servo diagram that SeamusG provided represent? A servo without power would work, if you had two more and turned them on their side but I don't think that is what's used. However I do understand how they would work like that, but I have a feeling that something cheaper and more efficient is used.
The Purple Box IS the servo as installed. The drawing of a servo with the rod attached below it is a depiction from a different view. A Servo with No power (as you evision) will DO Nothing! And if you had two more and turned them on their sides they would continue to Do Nothing, except add weight and crowd up the area of the wing root.
YOU REALLY Need to find SOMEONE who actually has a plane, Any Plane, to show you. You are not getting it by asking and reading! The explanations are going over your head or you are reading WAY too much into it!
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
35 Posts
I think you slightly misunderstood what I was saying, but don't worry about it, I'm going to have someone show me a plane soon. Thanks for all of the time and help, means a lot to me
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
It's all pretty easy to understand but yes, you definitely need to look at a plane to understand the basics. Also realize there are dozens of different configurations and almost unlimited choices when it comes to hardware (servos, pushrods, clevis, control horns, links, etc) Just keep it simple at first and it will all make sense once you get a real airplane in your hands. Have somebody with experience explain the basics and go from there. Your definitely in the right place here at RCG for the basics but just realize some folks here don't have a lot of patience with beginners but hang in there and don't ever be afraid to ask questions no matter how "beginner" they sound. Good luck
flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
The question was "how exactly do servos work".

After reading the whole thread I did not see any explanation whatsoever "how they work".

All I saw is how to connect them to control surfaces.

Typical misunderstanding of humans these days.

If you really wish to know how servos work, send me a PM and I will reply and explain.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Or adsandams can just go to Wikipedia and read all about 'em.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusG View Post
Because of your post I searched Wikipedia and found that servo article(s) has been deleted.

That is probably why you did not post a link.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Here

RC servos are a sub-classification of servo mechanisms.

BTW - all I did was a search on Wikipedia for "rc servo" ...
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusG View Post
But you were trying to help the OP, not deify yourself

Another Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servo_(radio_control)

Included is a link listed under "external links" that may hep as well:

http://www.robotplatform.com/knowled..._tutorial.html

Basic info for the layman hobbiest.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1