SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:09 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
527 Posts
Discussion
First foray into 3D/Pattern flying - model advice sought

A little advice please.

For a while now I've been thinking of adding a small Foamie 3D/pattern type model to my fleet.

I've read several of the threads here and I was about to order a Twisted Hobbies/RC Factory Edge 540 which seems to be well recommended by many.

Then, just by chance, in my LHS yesterday I came across 2 models by TechOne which caught my eye simply because they are being sold off cheap.

First model is the Assuage - Profile/Depron, 840mm span, 160 - 185g flying weight. Being offered for 30 Euros, which is dirt cheap over here. What's more, I have a suitable motor, prop, esc, Rx and servos.

Second model is the Mini-X F3A - 800mm span, 195-235g flying weight. Again Depron but with built up fuselage and airofoil wing. Being offered for 40 Euros. I would need to source a motor/esc for this one but an extra 20 Euros would cover it.

I can't find much info on these two models and videos are also very scarce. The few I have seen, seem to indicate that both models are OK if nothing special.

I'm tempted to get both as I think I could get a deal with the LHS owner.

Your thoughts, opinions would be most welcome.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:12 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
If it is your first foray into 3D, stick to EPP, its a lot more durable. Any of the RCF/Twisted hobbys models would be an excellent choice.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,233 Posts
Only Spain dealer I know of would be http://www.roi-import.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_27
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
From the videos you can see how well the Twisted Hobbys planes fly. That makes it easier to fly. When learning 3D I just flew Low Rates till I felt comfortable then added to throws and flew for a while. It was not long and I was flying at High Rates all the time. That made it easier to adjust to the wild throws of 3D.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
twisted hobbies planes are awesome, excellent customer care.... not the cheapest but well worth the money in my opinion. the edge is my favorite plane right now, flies like its on rails
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
twisted hobbies planes are awesome, excellent customer care.... not the cheapest but well worth the money in my opinion. the edge is my favorite plane right now, flies like its on rails
If you think that feels like it's on rails try their new extra slick. Now that is a good plane to practice on. I just came back from flying mine for about an hour and still want to recharge and go back out. I even set it up for night flying so the fun never ends! I'm not sure but from the link twistedrealm posted i only found the 39 inch RCF models. I've heard good things about the flash d and sbach.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
527 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Seems my original idea of the TH/RC factory Edge 540 is the way to go then.
I can't locate one here in sunny Spain so I may order from the UK, although it will cost me about twice the price of the TechOne models when shipping, etc is factored in.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,233 Posts
Steve, contact Mark over at ParkAero he will surely help you with the best international shipping rates for a model plus his prices are very competitive.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor