Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:41 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Discussion
Video - Maiden and Second flight of my newly built Hexacopter

Hi all,

Well you might or might not know about my slight mishap with my MikroKopter quad when attempting my second FPV flight!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637316

But not to be put off I moved some of the kit from the Quad onto a Hexa frame along with changing over to a MultiWii (Paris Board) setup.

It was windy yesterday, but I was ready to go, so had to try the Hexa out.

The props were wrong really (10x4.5 EPP, instead of the APC-E 12x3.8 SF I usually use on these motors) and the battery pack I'm planning to use is a 4S pack (not the 3S pack I was using for this flight), but I guessed it would fly with this configuration.

I had the Eagletree data logger installed to monitor Amps/Watts/MAH used, and the output is below.

Enjoy the Video!!
Hexacopter Maiden Flight (7 min 3 sec)

Cheers,
Terry.
chargenut is online now Find More Posts by chargenut
Last edited by chargenut; Jun 25, 2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Added the fact that there was second flight video to the title
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
Don't break it before the AP Meet will you
It looks to fly very well.

Are you planning to resurrect the MK eventually?

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:14 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Flyer View Post
Are you planning to resurrect the MK eventually?
Hi Richard,

Hmmm... maybe... to be honest not really thought too much about the MK board... I think last time I looked at it, it looked a little bent, so need to make sure all is okay before committing it to a frame/the air.

I could fairly soon make a quad frame with aluminium (like the last one).

I think currently all my efforts will be going into getting the Hexa flying smoothly and getting a camera mount on it!

Cheers,
T
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:34 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,440 Posts
Congratulations Terry, hope next time you fly the wind will have dropped noticeably.

Well done.

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:54 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Second Flight of the Hexacopter - Onboard Video!

Here's a video from the second flight of my Multiwii Hexacopter this time with a GoPro rubber banded to it!!!

Hexacopter Onboard (7 min 57 sec)

Cheers,
Terry.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:51 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,224 Posts
Great to see you sticking with multi-rotors after the incident with your quad! The hex looks pretty well setup, some fine tuning when it's a calm day will get it flying a treat

I've had two drop-like-a-stone incidents with my tricopter, and although painful, I did learn valuable lessons from each crash, and the resulting tricopter is all the better for it

Cheers!

David, fellow multi-rotor nut
Hogster is online now Find More Posts by Hogster
Last edited by Hogster; Jun 25, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster View Post
Great to see you sticking with multi-rotors after the incident with your quad! The hex looks pretty well setup, some fine tuning when it's a calm day will get it flying a treat

I've had two drop-like-a-stone incidents with my tricopter, and although painful, I did learn valuable lessons from each crash, and the resulting tricopter is all the better for it

Cheers!

David, fellow multi-rotor nut
Hi David,

Yep not leaving the Multi-rotor area for the moment... I have to say that the MultiWii is quite some software... I have just today soldered up all the headers on a Flyduino board and have my new "chinese" 10DOF sensor board mounted as well... had it connected up to the GUI this evening and everything seems to be going the right way... I am tempted to go the whole hog (no pun intended) now and add the LCD, Bluetooth Module and GPS to is (as I have all the pins I need to do so now with the Flyduino).

Maybe that's tomorrow's evening!!

All pretty cool though! Be interesting to see how the Flyduino with the 10DOF compares to the basic WM+ and Nunchuck based Paris board!

Cheers,
Terry.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Third flight, but really a maiden with a new 10DOF board

Here's the video!!!

Hexacopter 10DOF board maiden (9 min 57 sec)

Cheers,
Terry.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:06 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,440 Posts
Nice work Terry,

Gray
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:27 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,835 Posts
I do like the way you give a narration as you fly.

Was the end of flight issue anything to do with a flat battery? I always check to see if the battery is warm immediately after a flight. (Now I have a DX8 I should be able to transmit this data from the flight pack)
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
Looks good Terry but you should really read the manual first before trying things

I am currently shoe-horning a Rabbit Flight Controller (with mag, baro, sonar and GPS) into my Conrad frame. Maiden should be next weekend hopefully (or at the AP meet if things do not go according to plan).

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Added a camera mount to the Hexa this evening and moved the battery plate out to the back arm... they are both on a "clamp" arrangement so can be slide fore and aft to help out with balance when cameras/battery packs are changed!

AUW now is 2008g with the Canon A620 on board along with a 5000Mah 3S pack!

Be interesting to see what Amp Draw I get now with all that weight on board!

Also as is shown on the pictures... I need to extend my landing legs!!!

T
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
This evenings work... extending the landing gear!

T
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Flyer View Post
I am currently shoe-horning a Rabbit Flight Controller (with mag, baro, sonar and GPS) into my Conrad frame. Maiden should be next weekend hopefully (or at the AP meet if things do not go according to plan).

Richard
Cool...

Sounds like a nice bit of kit! Be interesting to see how it flies at the weekend!

T
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanlander View Post
Was the end of flight issue anything to do with a flat battery? I always check to see if the battery is warm immediately after a flight. (Now I have a DX8 I should be able to transmit this data from the flight pack)
Nope the battery had quite a bit of power left when I checked it post flight... it was weird, the Hexa simply rolled right, rather than sitting level... I do wonder if I have calibrated my Magnetic Compass correctly?

I have now added the voltage divider onto the Hexa that feeds a 5v signal voltage into the board (5V = 12.5V on the battery) that allows battery life to be monitored, along with the Buzzer, I get 3 levels of battery low warnings with increasingly faster beeping indicating TIME TO LAND!!!

T