SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2003, 09:19 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
E-Starter Average Build Time and Instruction Hurdles.

Given that the skill level is average, what is the total build time for the E-Starter and what are the unclear parts/hurdles in the instructions?

Anyone using a lipoly for their estarter? If so, what pack best fits the battery compartment?

-Dujara-
...wouldn't "undo" be nice in real life?
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Last edited by Ralph_D; Nov 08, 2003 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2003, 11:08 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Anyone...anyone...Bueller...Bueller...
Old Nov 09, 2003, 12:08 AM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,368 Posts
1) Strengthen the tail with a CF rod or dowel before gluing the halves.

2) Use plenty of epoxy on the landing gear or use plywood to strengthen the mount.

3) Watch the strut measurements. I had some trouble cutting mine too short. I liked using hollow aluminium tubing anway, it looked much better.

4) There's a large gap between the aileron and the wing when you cut them out. I sanded off too much foam and ended up with short ailerons. This may have been corrected in later kits, I don't know.

5) You should be able to complete this kit in a few nights. There's plenty of room to work inside the plane and everything fits very nicely. You'll like the way this kit goes together.

6) The Thunder Power 2100 2s1p is in my experience the absolute best pack for this plane. The lighter weight more than makes up for the lower voltage and the plane flies wonderfully because of it. You're looking at a flight time of about a half an hour on the stock motor and 9x7.

7) If you're running the 300C, use the 10x8 prop. The 350C seems to like the 9x7 better. YMMV.

Mark my words, you will fall in love with this plane. You'll outgrow it soon, but like a good friend you'll keep coming back to it time and time again.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Nov 09, 2003, 12:16 AM
Watch This !!!
Rochester, MI
Joined Apr 2003
1,032 Posts
"Instructions"

Be careful with the instructions. Read thru them a couple of times and note that the pictures will be in sequence from right to left top to bottom, all over the place. Just make sure you don't skip a step. Also brush up on your broken english.
edkoz is offline Find More Posts by edkoz
Last edited by edkoz; Nov 09, 2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2003, 12:27 AM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
If it is your first GWS build, there are tricks to learn. If you have build other white foam planes, some of the tricks are already known to you. Search on e-starter and build for lots of info. GWS glue is contact cement. Apply, press parts together then separate. Allow glue to nearly dry, then press parts together again. Many folks toss the GWS glue in favor of epoxy or CA.

Personally, I would do all major construction with foam safe thick CA and accelerator. Build as light as possible. I added a CF rod along the base of the tail boom after breaking the fuselage there. It is a weak area.

The GWS glue is actually a great thing for gluing the motor stick into the fuselage.

I enlarged the battery compartment and flew mine on 2s Thunder Power 2100mAh packs. Plenty of power with stock 300, C gear and 10x8 prop. Even better on 350.

GWS papery hinges work better than you would think. I cut slot with #11 blade then work the slot open a little with backside of blade. Work the nozzle of CA bottle into slot, add a drop of CA. Quickly apply a drop of CA to end of hinge and slip into slot while everything is still wet. Little shot of accelerator and on to the next hinge. I put hinges on the control surface first, then attach whole thing to wing/stab/fin. The joining takes a little different technique. Line up hinges and start them into all of the slots. Apply CA to exposed hinge material, and slide together.

If you don't use CA everywhere that you can, be prepared to put thing down and walk away while glue dries. It took me about 8 hours to build my e-starter (first GWS build) over three days. With what I learned from that, it only took about 3 hours to build my Formosa.
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Nov 09, 2003, 12:57 AM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!

-Dujara-