Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
wasilla,alaska
Joined Nov 2005
181 Posts
Help!
New to 2.4 looking for info

Hi'
Right now I have a T6EXA Fm
Im looking to switch to 2.4 some said I should get FLySky i found a site selling them but didnt really say what they were didnt look like they were for my radio anyways.
My buddy says to stay away from futaba 2.4
and im seeing post about DSM AND DSM2
I dont want to spend a ton just want to get a decent radio that dosent cost me a fortune for RX as well.
Any good post or stickes on this or any advise would be great.
thank you in advance.
jasonak is offline Find More Posts by jasonak
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:08 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,432 Posts
You should consider more what you are going to be flying. There is nothing wrong with an FM radio. They still work well. Changing to 2.4gHz simply because it's "the thing to do" isn't a good reason.

If you are interested in flying the best of the ultra micros, then obviously a Spektrum radio is the only choice. Some of them need at least a DX6i to get the best performance out of the model, but many are flying just fine with a DX4e or DX5e.

If you plan to be flying larger models with standard receivers, then there are other brands that can work for you. All the of the big name brands work well. Naturally, I'd prefer to see you fly a Spektrum, and we recently released a very inexpensive receiver that would likely cover many of your needs, the AR400.

Avoid brands that can't be serviced easily, that are not available from your local hobby shop (the BEST place to buy), or that other pilots in your area are not using.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,200 Posts
As Andy says... Nothing wrong wtih Fm... What are you going to fly? What limitations do you have with the radio you have now? What problem are you trying to solve? Not worrying about frequency pins (or others on your frequency) is the reason I moved to 2.4.... For many, that is NOT a good reason.
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
wasilla,alaska
Joined Nov 2005
181 Posts
Hi
Well I just got a park zone albatros and the servoes were going crazy with my FM RX although once I unplugged the rudder servos or plugged in my old hitecs it stopped but people in that thread were saying that I used 2.4 there wouldn't be any problems like this and that it was a FM thing. In my first post I said Fly Sky I meant FR SKY which I still dont understand completely what that does.

thanks to both of u for taking the time to reply.
jasonak is offline Find More Posts by jasonak
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:57 AM
Posted as eflightdude 06-07
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
I haven't done it (yet), so take it for what it's worth:

Many people on here convert to the FrSky 2.4 GHz system. I personally have seen many people recommend it as a choice of a quality system that won't break the bank, you can get a DIY module and convert your radio for $16 (you need to unsolder the current 72MHz transmitting board and solder in three wires from the FrSky DIY module, inside your radio), and then get $20 6-channel and $25 8-channel receivers. For $50 you can get a transmitting module with an LCD for telemetry, so that you can get your current draw, voltage, mAh used, etc on the LCD screen, and a signal strength report as well (how well the model can hear your signal).

I plan on converting my JR 6201 with the telemetry module, and once I show my dad it works, I'll be converting his JR 7202 as well. Look around, plenty of info on these FrSky conversions. For example: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540486

My reason? I live within 4 miles of an RC field, and I don't want to shoot anyone down, or be shot down. Also, on one of my planes, with a brushed motor, I got glitches, once it almost crashed me cause it put my plane into a spin. My brushless 3D foamie would sometimes have its servos wiggle too. Note I haven't flown since about '08, just getting back into it. My main reasons for telemetry is a current meter so I know how many mAh I've used, which will become even more important as I plan on building a quad and doing FPV (also signal strength feedback will be invaluable.
jseyfert3 is offline Find More Posts by jseyfert3
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:03 AM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Go DSM

DSM2 is even better. I say this just for the fact that you can get a lot of BNF (Bind and Fly) airplanes for a very reasonable price that will fly with your transmitter. Be it DX5...DX12 or anything DSM2.

Hey, Go buy a RTF E-Flight airplane (I have both micro and 40 size T-28's and all the micro helis) and the transmitter will fly all four channel BNF's.

You can also buy the Orange receivers from Hobby King for cheap and they work great. This opens up the PNP (Plug and Play)/ Receiver ready airplanes that are sold most everywhere.

If there is a flying club or a lot of RC airplane activity in your area you do not have to worry about frequency management and getting "shot down" or crashing someone else. (DSM2 can fly almost unlimited numbers of aircraft at the same time) I saw it in person at Joe Nall !!!

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:47 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
by all accounts the Frsky is as reliable and solid a RF link as any out there. I'd have no hesitation in moving to it. Currently i fly Hitec 2.4Ghz which, like the Frsky, is as good as any and better than most.

With the Hitec compatible budget parkfly Rx's from Hobbyking, the Hitec system just got that bit sweeter

At the moment Futaba has good offerings too but their 2.4Ghz range is a bit splintered with at least 4 different 2.4 Ghz protocols - that are all mutually incompatible, so its messy. Their FASST system, while expensive (Rx cost), is an industry standard.

Multiplex, Graupner, Sanwa, Jeti, all offer excellent ssystems too, when considering systems beyond the usual suspects - JR, Futaba, Hitec etc

Lots of people are having great success with Turnigy, Eurgle - 9 channel with flashed opensource firmware updates ... this is the budget route to programming flexibility and multi channel control...
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:41 AM
Posted as eflightdude 06-07
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Also, if you're considering FrSky, don't forget they have their own 9-channel transmitter coming out later this year, with 12 and 16 channel versions early next year. They will have the FrSky telemetry built into the radio. With the current prices on FrSky receivers and transmitter modules, these will probably be a good price on a feature-filled transmitter.
jseyfert3 is offline Find More Posts by jseyfert3
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:08 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Feb 2013
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
At the moment Futaba has good offerings too but their 2.4Ghz range is a bit splintered with at least 4 different 2.4 Ghz protocols - that are all mutually incompatible, so its messy. Their FASST system, while expensive (Rx cost), is an industry standard.
Thanks to these forums, I found out that my Futaba 7C might have the zero GUID issue and just sent it off yesterday to get it updated.

I don't know precisely what the service guy meant by this but in the e-mail telling me where to send the transmitter, he mentioned:

Quote:
Our staff will inspect your product and will notify you regarding their findings. Once it has been checked they will change a setting in the firmware and that will allow the transmitter to work with the newer type receivers.
It could be that this mod to fix the GUID issue will also fix that to some extent? Or maybe this is only within the FASST line.

One way to find out would be to write to sup8765port@hob8765bico.co8765m (Futaba's service e-mail - remove the 8765's - I put them in so crawlers don't find the address and spam them).
RobertSF is offline Find More Posts by RobertSF