HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Dec 2010
93 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX8

I have been reading things on the forums that lead me to believe that there are "SET UP" already made SOMEWHERE on the web or these forums and all you have to do is to download them to your card reader, which I already have and then plug in the little disc and transfer the setup to the radio.

Am I correct in this and if so could someone tell me how to do it?

Thanks

Jack
winggunner46 is offline Find More Posts by winggunner46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winggunner46 View Post
I have been reading things on the forums that lead me to believe that there are "SET UP" already made SOMEWHERE on the web or these forums and all you have to do is to download them to your card reader, which I already have and then plug in the little disc and transfer the setup to the radio.

Thanks

Jack
Yes that is possible to do. All of the files are gong to be plane specific and mainly limited to ARF or bind and fly planes. The specific thread for each plane is probably the best place to look.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Be sure to do a proper control check if you use setups from someone else. Don't use it as a crutch - make sure you understand the settings. IMO, it's best to do your own setups just so you will learn how it's done. If you have a problem and the only way you know how to do things is by using someone else's settings, you're not going to be able to solve your own issues when you run into them out in the field. Also, any small difference in your aircraft can make the settings invalid, and you need to know what to tweak for which issues.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Be sure to do a proper control check if you use setups from someone else. Don't use it as a crutch - make sure you understand the settings. IMO, it's best to do your own setups just so you will learn how it's done. If you have a problem and the only way you know how to do things is by using someone else's settings, you're not going to be able to solve your own issues when you run into them out in the field. Also, any small difference in your aircraft can make the settings invalid, and you need to know what to tweak for which issues.
True story even rates and expo settings carry over as far as I know. I rarely use dual rates and never use expo even for models that "require" it. It's just as easy and fast to set up the model on my own. If I use somebodie else's setup I just have to change it anyway.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:27 AM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
187 Posts
Have you registered your DX8 on the Spektrum Community website? There are presets available there for several HH supplied planes, although I do not like the ones I have tried. I think everyone develops a feel for what they like with D/R, expo, etc. and uses that for each plane. Some people like lots of expo and some don't for example. It is all in how your feel is for the sticks.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:19 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,974 Posts
Quote:

Thanks

Jack
Learn to program the DX8 yourself, it's not that hard.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Learn to program the DX8 yourself, it's not that hard.
True... I did it the first time I ever saw one. What you have to do is concentrate on what the aircraft needs, and don't let yourself get overwhelmed by the interface - it contains a lot of stuff you don't care about. Most airplanes only need servo reversing, expo and dual rates, and the last two aren't really needed but a matter of personal preference.

Spektrum DX8 Intro (4 min 40 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:03 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,914 Posts
Quote:

Thanks

Jack
You can visit the Spektrum Community website where you register your radio and click on UPDATE, there you will find next to the AirWare Software Update TAB a tab called MODEL PRESET, there you will find spektrum model files on certain models.

You may also look and ask here on RCG

DISCLAIMER
Attention- Safety First!

The model setup files provided here can greatly simplify setting up complex programming in your transmitter for your favorite aircraft. Because mechanical setups can vary on some types of models, it is your responsibility to perform all pre-flight setup recommended in the product manual, ensure all controls are operating in the proper direction and within the manufacturers recommended throws. You should also take time to understand the anticipated flight characteristics for each flight mode that might be enabled.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2010
93 Posts
All of mine are fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Yes that is possible to do. All of the files are gong to be plane specific and mainly limited to ARF or bind and fly planes. The specific thread for each plane is probably the best place to look.
All of my planes have been converted to 2.4. Those that were 72's, etc. now have Spektrum AR600's or will have PDQ. I still have left one AR600 and two AR8000's just sitting here.
HOWEVER and that is a big however. I can not locate my manuals. I put them in a safe place and forgot where I put them. I did get a T-28 Trojan set up and it promptly ate a huge hole in my right forearm. One trip to the ER and 8 or 9 stiches later and all is well. I did not hit any control wires in my arm and the fuel system was not spurting fuel so it all worked out AND I learned a really big lesson. The doctor did look a little surprised when he saw my temp. fix using paper towels and GOOD OLD DUCT TAPE. The scar is a nice addition to my collection. This is a good one, but it still lags behind the ARROW hole in my leg. My older sister shot me when I was 5.
winggunner46 is offline Find More Posts by winggunner46