HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by earlwb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:35 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,841 Posts
Discussion
Playing with a small gasoline engine

I have been playing around with one of the NGH 9cc gasoline engines lately. The other weekend I had several successful flights with the engine on my Ugly Stick.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:24 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
751 Posts
Interested to hear what you think of this motor. I've seen them on sale locally but when I looked at the specs, the motor seemed quite low on power. If you've had other motors in that plane I'd be interested in any comparison you can provide.
tobermei is online now Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:33 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,841 Posts
It is starting to run well now. It took a while for it to get broken in or run in good. But last Sunday at the flying field it let me lean it out a little more and it started running really well. I actually flew the engine and plane enough times to run the ignition battery down on the plane, until it wouldn't run anymore. I am starting to like the engine more and more as it is running pretty good now.

The engine has a common exhaust screw hole spacing that lets you use most any muffler you would like to use on the engine. I chose to use a Macs One Piece muffler to help quiet the engine more than the stock muffler that comes with the engine. But the engine uses the same size mufflers that fit a OS 46FX or OS 55AX types of engines. So you can use many brands or types of mufflers on the engine.

Power is about like a .40 to .45 engine, but it is starting to feel more like a .45 engine now. But yes it isn't as powerful as a glow engine, so one needs to chose the airframe carefully. Especially to get it broke in good as it may take a while to get it to run good. I have been running a 11x7 prop on the engine. I have been using more oil in the fuel than suggested, so I'll probably drop down to the suggest oil ratio soon.

It does leave the plane a little gunky after a day's flying, but no big deal.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 18, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:42 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,841 Posts
Before I mounted the engine onto the airplane I had ran the engine on my test stand for more than a hour of runtime.

RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
751 Posts
Thanks, I've got a Saito FG14B on a .40 sized ugly stik as well. It took a while for the motor to break in properly but once it broke in I've been happy with it till recently when the exhaust valve started sticking. I've sent it in for warranty repair and was advised the oil I was using was the wrong one (even though it was one of the oils recommended by the Saito manual). So, looking forward to getting the motor back and many more flights.

Thanks again for the info on this motor.
tobermei is online now Find More Posts by tobermei