HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Question
Another Beginner Airplane Question

First, I apologize if this subject has been beat to death in the past. I did some research before posing this, but couldn't find quite the right information I was looking for.

I am looking to get started in flying RC planes. I've been in the hobby only a few months, and have been flying a quad as it was what I was first exposed to.

I did my due diligence, researching this forum and others on the web about the best plane to start with. Since I was in a "teach yourself to fly" situation, I looked at thos options (Champ, Super Cub, Firebird Stratos, etc). I finally decided on the Champ and in the short while that I have had it, I have not been disappointed. Love the plane!

I recently decided to join a model flying club. When I spoke to the President of the club earlier this week, he indicated that none of the planes above would really "fit the bill" for thier training program. I would need something abit more advanced, with ailerons at the very least. Problem is - he is a fuel flyer and not really in a position to advise on electric aircraft. He indicated he would ask around the club for suggestions, but in the meantime I thought I would bounce if off the RCG community.

My only experience is with a quad and the Champ as noted above. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
I got the same advice from a club i was checking out, i think the reasoning is that they will teach you using a buddy box and a bigger 4ch high wing plane. The club i was looking into have a community plane with 2 TX's and thats what they teach people on. As far as the fuel planes, again it was the same for me, most of the guys who've done this forever seem to stick with fuel, because well, its all they know. When they started RC'ing there wasnt things like RTF champs, super cubs etc..at least thats how i took when they were talking to me.

I say for what its worth, if they have a setup like that then use it, even if its fuel and you go electric at least your flying with an instructor, i havent gone that route only because i'm not a member of the club yet.
boats

hey just noticed, we just got back from N. Myrtle lol
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
I got the same advice from a club i was checking out, i think the reasoning is that they will teach you using a buddy box and a bigger 4ch high wing plane. The club i was looking into have a community plane with 2 TX's and thats what they teach people on. As far as the fuel planes, again it was the same for me, most of the guys who've done this forever seem to stick with fuel, because well, its all they know. When they started RC'ing there wasnt things like RTF champs, super cubs etc..at least thats how i took when they were talking to me.

I say for what its worth, if they have a setup like that then use it, even if its fuel and you go electric at least your flying with an instructor, i havent gone that route only because i'm not a member of the club yet.
boats

hey just noticed, we just got back from N. Myrtle lol
Thanks! He didn't mention a community training setup per se, but it is entirely possible. Although I have not met any the club members personally, you make a valid point. The gentleman I spoke with definitely had years of experience and although he mentioned he tried electric once, he was sticking to fuel. This may be the case with the majority of the members - just not sure yet. Bottom line is I'll follow thier program because they do have the experience and knowledge, and I want to learn. Should be an interesting adventure

Hope you enjoyed your stay! Today was absolutely beautiful beach weather, although I don't get to go nearly enough. I'm down a bit south in Surfside (near Murrells Inlet) and tend to stay away from NMB after June 1 because of the traffic.

Did you do any beach flying?
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:54 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,166 Posts
I would strongly recommend visiting the club on a fairly busy day, just to see what type and power systems the regulars fly.

Some clubs, (hopefully a minority), still see 'electric power' as toys planes. And they may be reluctant to get involved with a new member and 'electrickery'.

There seems to be many electric fliers who will not bother with an official model club, but enjoy flying in local parks, sports ground etc in small groups or even on their own.

Once you have visited the club, (if not already), you can then decide if it is for you and what you want to fly, or even if you would then decide to follow them and go IC powered.

Model building and flying is a great hobby, but being in a club you then find you don't get on with can spoil the enjoyment.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:13 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddie View Post
First, I apologize if this subject has been beat to death in the past. I did some research before posing this, but couldn't find quite the right information I was looking for.

I am looking to get started in flying RC planes. I've been in the hobby only a few months, and have been flying a quad as it was what I was first exposed to.

I did my due diligence, researching this forum and others on the web about the best plane to start with. Since I was in a "teach yourself to fly" situation, I looked at thos options (Champ, Super Cub, Firebird Stratos, etc). I finally decided on the Champ and in the short while that I have had it, I have not been disappointed. Love the plane!

I recently decided to join a model flying club. When I spoke to the President of the club earlier this week, he indicated that none of the planes above would really "fit the bill" for thier training program. I would need something abit more advanced, with ailerons at the very least. Problem is - he is a fuel flyer and not really in a position to advise on electric aircraft. He indicated he would ask around the club for suggestions, but in the meantime I thought I would bounce if off the RCG community.

My only experience is with a quad and the Champ as noted above. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
You haven't defined your question, and there isn't a question mark in anywhere in your post.

...just saying...
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
972 Posts
I'm mostly into fuel planes but this last winter ( Florida ) I was confronted with 6 students and they all had electrics ( O - chit ). It all worked out fine and in the end we ended up with mostly the " Apprentice " electric plane. It is full house - aileron,elev,rudder & throttle and can be bought so you can put your gear in it .

I liked the plane as it really flies nice and is able to be adjusted to different flying styles. If you get (have ) a radio system that is compatable with a buddy box that someone has , you are in. That's why you want to check with the club and see what they have and work with them.

Most instructors will teach you even on electrics ( lol ) if you do your own set ups and research and show up with a desent TRAINER . In my case the guys brought their planes out basically set up so all I had to do was check it out, test fly it and then let them fly on the buddy box. I didn't have to do all that electric crap, just teach them to fly and show them how things were supposed to work ( except the electric part ). Do you follow that ??

I must admit that I enjoyed working with them and I think we all learned a lot. We even got to the point where everyone was flying the same kind of plane ( Apprentice ) and had a system we could use for the buddy box's. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,873 Posts
Muddie, I have all the planes you mentioned in your original post and have basically taught myself to fly with them. I have been meeting with a few buddies at an abandoned, undeveloped industrial park here in Southern California (Oceanside to be exact) and we fly for a few hours together. None of us is "instructor" trained but we fly and have fun none the less. I am not saying that a club is not the way to go, and would encourage you to check one out, but, there are those of us who just kind of get together and swap information as we fly informally. I would also encourage you to get a simulator. I have gone from never flying an RC airplane (just helicopters) to being able to fly land and do simple aerobatics (loops, wingovers, etc.) with those three planes; all in a couple of months and I can thank my sim for that. I currently have 5 planes and have only crashed the Firebird Stratos on the maiden flight and only with minor damage which I was able to fix. Prior to the FB Stratos, my first plane, I had never flown before. Planes like the Hobbyzone FB Stratos, Hobbyzone Super Cub and Hobbyzone Champ are nice planes that will have you flying in no time. Some of the older club guys may think me and my flying buddies are doing it wrong, but so far, it has worked for us. We all started on beginner friendly planes like mine, and planes like the GWS Slow Stick. I think we all fly pretty well for being self taught. It can be done.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:53 AM View Post
brett6579
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:25 AM
JrV
I am dangerous!
United States, NH
Joined Oct 2007
178 Posts
Hello! Lets loose the spam brett!
JrV is offline Find More Posts by JrV
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
I started with the Champ. Love it and still fly it about daily. I found a club a little over an hour away and have purchased the DX6i and the Apprentice and have been doing some training with an inst on it. Granted I am not comfortable soloing the Apprentice yet but for the days I cant make the trip i fly my Champ. Also i have recently picked up the Pz UM P-51 which is a bit faster but i can still get use to Ailerons with it. Further more Phoenix FS with my DX6i works great for me, although it is alot different than REAL flying but it helps with orientation and basic flight maneuvers. This is just my 0.02 worth. hope it helps. O yeah also Phoenix now has the Apprentice in the program so that helps alot!!!! My next plane will be the T-28 and I have been messing around with it on the sim as well.
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:40 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
We have a nice club but abit of a drive, super fun learning to fly sailplanes at the start. Many still fly nitro as open area etc.

Now back into the hobby electrics now available fly in local area and have over half dozen or more that fly regularly. Most of us self taught, enjoy trainers to jets. Will gladly help any newcomer as sure our group will continue to grow.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:31 AM
Bethesda, MD
Joined Jul 2006
390 Posts
OP: The best answer, if you're set on this club being the one for you, is whatever their instructors guide you to, because you'll learn much faster if they're comfortable teaching you.

With that said, there are at least a couple 4-channel electric high-wing trainers you might look at, and run by your club's instructor(s):

-E-flite Apprentice
-Flyzone Sensei

They're going to be similar in form & function to traditional 4-ch balsa trainers, but with all the benefits (durability & weight) of foam construction for beginners.

I have a Firebird Stratos, and it's a great relaxing plane to fly around, but it's probably not going to teach you a whole lot more than the Champ you already have. It's just bigger.
WRXpilot is offline Find More Posts by WRXpilot
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:33 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
...I recently decided to join a model flying club. When I spoke to the President of the club earlier this week, he indicated that none of the planes above would really "fit the bill" for thier training program.,...
Forgive me, but that raises a red flag for me.
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,873 Posts
It raises a red flag to me too. There are a number of instances on these forums where a beginner learned to fly on a Hobbyzone Super Cub at a club with an instructor. While I might agree that an instructor would be reluctant to train a new pilot on the Champ and FB Stratos, I can't agree with him about the HZ Super Cub. The Champ and FB Stratos come with TXs that cannot be 'buddy boxed." The Champ can be bound to a regular, full sized TX, like the DX5e, or DX6i and those can be buddy boxed. Sounds like "old timer's" syndrome to me.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Quote:

Slow Sticks and micros are fun, but consider an Extra or F-27. Same number of servos, and they look great-especially in the air!!!!!!
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)